Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Boxster Roof not working

Hi Guys,

Have a broken roof. Windows were not rolling down so i bought a new relay which has fixed that problem and the light on the dash to say roof is open is now on.

When i press the button I can't hear the motor moving, is there any way of testing it by taking it off and using the two pin connector, connecting it somewhere else or a way to run current to it, to see if the motor is working??/not dead?

just FYI the push rods have been taken off for now so i can put the roof up and down manually (This was done before the new double relay fuse/module was purchased).

Dremzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

Garage
Yes, just plug a multimeter to the motor, push the button and you'll find out if it's still alive.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Motor is ok

Ok, i have connected a battery to the motor with two wires and the motor is spinning. I have no idea what it could be now.

1) I have changed the double relay with a porsche genuine (Could this new one be faulty)

2) Motor works and drives the roof transmission when a battery is applied to it.

3) The window sense which is on the roof latch, does play up and i have to fiddle with it sometimes to make the windows drop, but when they do , the button for roof still doesn't make the motor move.

What could be the next step?!? Any help would be appreciated.

Something to note, I noticed when looking behind the passenger seat there is a cable that links together with another cable with a plastic connector. There is another plastic connector, with one pin (not the usual two pin you would see in a connector) and no cable plugs it into it? Could there be a missing sensor or something there that a mechanic removed when he took my push rods off??
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

I bought a multimeter and tried to stick the ends into the cable that comes into the meter and didn't get a reading but i think that might be more down to this crappy multimeter as its finding hard to detect voltage on anything
Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #5

Garage
Do you hear any weird noise in the transmission?
I had the same issue, swapped the motor, nothing. The issue was the plastic gear in the transmission which broke, I replaced it with a metallic one, and no more issue
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #6

nope the transmission doesn't make any noise. The motor only works when i connect a 12v battery.

The roof head mechanism is a bit touchy could that be it? I can play with it and get the windows to drop, but does it have any function? Hence is me playing with it and getting the window to drop it's only function as if it is, replacing it won't solve the problem.

I have just noticed the following above?? When looking behind the passenger seat there is one cable that plugs into a connector. Next to it, there is another connector with 1 metal pin. Nothing is connected into it, do you know what this could be?? Maybe something is missing and the mechanic has removed it.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Just for reference the piece of white plastic you see under the black cable is the connector i'm referring to with one metal pin, that has nothing connected to it.