Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Ultima Waterless Wash Plus

So I recently I have to park my car outside at work. Before I was able to park in a roofed structure, and in the garage at home. Here in SoCal, the car only gets dusty/dirty from being outside every day, but washing every week is just overkill.

I'm into detailing as well, and discovered the waterless wash, namely the Ultima Waterless Wash Plus. There are other brands too, but I read many good reviews on Ultima, so I went with it. Tried it today, and works very well. My car has a week's worth of dust from sitting outside (you can't see the dust unless you touch it). I diluted per the instruction, used a spray bottle, wiped with 8 fold microfiber towel in straight lines, and the car returned to the just washed look. In my case, the car is waxed and clay barred, so the paint is already very smooth to start with.

Overall, I really like this product. Economical, Fast, and perfect for my need, which is maintaining or light cleaning the car in between washes. I just want to share with those who didn't know about waterless wash products like me until now.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1437327126880.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  270.1 KB
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1437327160505.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  283.5 KB
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1437327281365.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  251.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1437327300370.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  296.7 KB

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #2

Is there not a risk of scratching? The use of water helps get rid of loose dirt that if rubbed on the car could cause small scratches, no? That's the main reason I've never tried anything like this before. Am I over thinking it?
Old 07-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

These products generally have a lot of lubricants in them to prevent rubbing the dirt around in the paint and causing scratches. I use Detailer Pro's waterless wash from Autogeek. Also have waterless wash microfibers - one side is gray for the first pass to pick up the dirt, and the other is blue for the final quick clean and dry.
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Sounds like a quick detailer concentrate more than an actual wash product.
Someone help me understand how this is "waterless" when it's a concentrate diluted with, um, water?!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't wrap my head around washing a car without first hosing off dirt & dust first.
I keep picturing an 800 grit wash cloth putting all kinds of swirl marks in the paint.
I'm glad you like it but this is me: :chicken:
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
I use Optimum No Rinse wash and shine(blue) and wash and wax (green). Its very similar.
Basically they have lots of lubricants in the stuff and the dirt lifts off onto the microfiber.

1 quart is around $20 on amazon. You use 1 oz for 2 gallons

I mix it into a 2 gal garden sprayer and spray it on the car. You can get it nice and wet and I use maybe 1/2-3/4 gallon for the car. I use 1 microfiber to get the dirt off and a 2nd to dry. takes maybe 15 minutes to was and dry the whole car and virtually no water on the ground. you can do it in your garage
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I use Optimum No Rinse wash and shine(blue) and wash and wax (green). Its very similar.
Basically they have lots of lubricants in the stuff and the dirt lifts off onto the microfiber.

1 quart is around $20 on amazon. You use 1 oz for 2 gallons

I mix it into a 2 gal garden sprayer and spray it on the car. You can get it nice and wet and I use maybe 1/2-3/4 gallon for the car. I use 1 microfiber to get the dirt off and a 2nd to dry. takes maybe 15 minutes to was and dry the whole car and virtually no water on the ground. you can do it in your garage
I started using this same product after cutting, polishing and waxing. At first my finish was smooth to the touch. When I take the car to work I am forced to park in a very dusty environment and from everything I have read California dusters are not recommended as they can scratch your clear coat. So I made a dilution of ONR and started using that with microfiber cloths. Not only was it far more time consumming to get the dust off but it also seem to leave specs of something on my finish that can easily be felt when you drag your fingers over the car. I have since stopped using it (it works great on glass tho) and now use just straight water and a microfiber cloth for heavy soil areas and the CA duster for basic dust removal. Since I dont drive the car in the rain or on wet roads it seems to be working well for me, but Im watching my clear coat to see if Im reintroducing scratches. Annoying the ONR seems to be either trapping dust or leaving a rough surface on my recently waxed car.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Rookie

Garage
Why are these ginormious images permitted?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Why are these ginormious images permitted?
Older version of forum application

Keep Portland weird

I was just up there last week, first went to the Oregon Country Fair near Eugene and then went to the Mississippi Street fair

Lots of fun!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #9

Garage
I've used "Wet Paint Automotive Polishing Glaze" for three years with no water and no scratches. Takes less than a half hour to do the whole car, shines as good as wax and beads rain as good as wax. I run a fine duster gently over the car first then apply (no rubbing) and remove with a terry cloth towel.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Is there not a risk of scratching? The use of water helps get rid of loose dirt that if rubbed on the car could cause small scratches, no? That's the main reason I've never tried anything like this before. Am I over thinking it?
Well, there's no guarantee that there won't be any scratching. But the product claims to have polymers to aid with lubricating. I currently use it on light dust, and use plenty of it, but not saturated, and wipe in one direction. The feel from using it is similar to washing with soap, the smoothness, gliding, and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Someone help me understand how this is "waterless" when it's a concentrate diluted with, um, water?!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't wrap my head around washing a car without first hosing off dirt & dust first.
I keep picturing an 800 grit wash cloth putting all kinds of swirl marks in the paint.
I used to be chicken about this too. This product has two different instructions on the back, one is for kinda like a quick detailer, the other is for rinseless wash.

I think what they mean about "waterless" is that you don't need to use water to rinse before or after the soap part. There's a ready to use bottle for this product, which requires no additional water to apply, but of course concentrate is much cheaper. My currently strategy is light dust, plenty of lubricant, and plenty of towels. I used all 8 sides of the towel, one per small panel, and only used one towel for the car.

Last edited by hancock1701; 07-19-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #11

Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #12

Garage
I went to a PCA clinic on detailing last spring. The head of our Concours demonstrated the Griots car wash spray. He says he hasn't used water to wash his cars in years! Good enough for me, so I made the switch. Here in Texas, it is always a battle in the summer to wash and dry before the heat bakes the car. Now, I just use the spray in the garage, much more pleasant!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
Luckyed

Garage
I have used Meguiar's Quik Detailer for years will no ill effects.
Porsche, Harley, cat.....nevermind.......
Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post

Professional detailers use these waterless wash products on expensive cars.
If you're using the right type of towel, and preferably a new one, it's no problem.
I used a sponge, dunk it and hold it over each panel to soak the car before wiping it down.
I always use distilled water, dries clean. For the wheels, I use blue shop towels, also soaked. To dry I'll spray the car down with a quick detailer and buff with a long nap towel like the Griot's Garage green and blue towels. They sell otheir own waterless wash spray but its a little pricey unless you go for the big gallon sized container.
This is a great way to wash that only needs a light washing.

Optmium No Rinse (ONR) was the first to offer this waterless washing product. And for whatever reason other big brands did not jump in for a long time. Now everyone offers a version. Turtle Wax sells a waterless wash that I've purchased at Wal-Mart for like $4 during a promotion. You only need a few 1 oz. squirts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #15

Garage
Griots spray on car wash works great

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote