Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #1

Inner and outer CV joints bad?

I was at the track yesterday for a DE event and on my third session the corner workers report to me that they hear what they say sounds like a CV joint failing. Bummer - end of the day for me. So I drive home carefully and am now trying to diagnose the problem.

Car is a 1997 Boxster with tiptronic. The symptoms are: when going around a corner, you hear tick, tick, tick. The tick is speed dependent. In a straight line there is no ticking. The harder you go around a turn, the louder the tick.

So I get under the car today and look at the CV boots (sound is from passenger side) and neither the inner or outer are cracked. I do notice that when the axle is moved in and out (back and forth from tranny to wheel hub) there is a click in what seem to be the outer joint. I compare to the other side (driver side) and it does not have the click.

Can a bad inner CV joint have these symptoms or do you think I have a bad outer?

My gut says to skip the shortcut of changing the inner joint and re-boot the outer without removing the whole assembly and instead pull the whole thing out and servicing both inners and outers.

Thoughts?

brewerbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

if the joint is bad re greasing is going to do nothing.

Buy a whole shaft, cheaper less work
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
if the joint is bad re greasing is going to do nothing.

Buy a whole shaft, cheaper less work
Not sure if I would say cheap. I too have a 99 Tip Boxster, 3 out of 4 boots are torn, although I haven't heard any noises.

In pricing out repair options, it seems there two ways to go. Buy the entire axle, cheapest I have found is $770 each at ECS tuning. If you think it's the inner CV, nearest the trans, then that one you can replace. Kits are available with new joint, boot, etc, for about $150 per side. For the outer CV (at the wheels) you can repack with grease and reboot, but the joint itself is not replaceable.

On mine, since I wasn't getting any noise, I have ordered all the parts to replace the inner joints, but just repack and reboot the outers.

It seems like axles for the Tip run a little bit higher cost wise than the axles for the manual.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Complete axles are $100 bucks....just swop them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-Boxster-00-04-Drive-Axle-Drive-Shaft-Transaxle-Tiptronic-Automatic-/161660985721?hash=item25a3bee179&vxp=mtr
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Used, though. Not sure if I want to trust a used axle.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Over here we used to have a axle re builder that would do them for less than $100. but as new axles got cheaper they just started selling new ones.

I think there is still one in Anaheim here.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #7

Even brand new shafts are cheap. Change the shafts.

Pair New Rear Left Right CV Drive Axle Shaft Assembly for Porsche Boxster | eBay
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia080261 View Post
These won't work he has a 99, Boxster, Tip

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote