Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Repainting front bumper

Like most 12 year old boxsters that get driven regularly, my front bumper has seen better days. It has pretty bad road rash and some chips and scratches. My hood and fenders still look ok though, my question is, can the front bumper be repainted and still match the hood and fenders? Or should I plan on painting the whole front end? The body shop closest to my house said it will not match if they just spray the bumper. My car is arctic silver.

Last edited by oc-boxster; 07-08-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added info
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

I'd try another body shop. A good painter can match just about anything.

Earlier this year I had work done on my Audi. I needed to replace a rear door after someone hit me. The shop matched the door with an electronic reading that matched the paint color to the rest of the car,taking into account age and fading. It's seamless, you can't tell the new door from the rest of the original panels.

Last edited by bobbeck; 07-08-2015 at 11:47 AM.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

Your body shop guy has sniffed too many paint fumes ! I just had a rear bumper on my Arctic Silver S painted and it matches perfect . Move on to a REAL pro.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll start calling some other shops and get it done then
Old 07-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

I had mine done and the license plate holes filled. Looks fantastic.

And they (Do!!) match it. The paint code is under the front hood and under the side wall carpet in the frunk, I think drivers side.

Last edited by Timco; 07-08-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: I was ever so wrong. My wife was right. I just can't seem to get things right sometimes. I should just accept this and move b
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

I remember this guy telling me because the bumper isn't metal and the paint on the fenders and hood have dulled over time when he paints the bumper to the paint code it will be darker. Maybe he just didn't want to do it.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

15 year old paint should be matched - normally and regardless of how well you've taken car of the car, the paint has faded and weathered to some extent. Using "new" paint based on the paint code may not be a perfect match though that is usually the starting point.

I had my front cover done a few months ago and they blended the re-spray into the front fenders.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

That's a popular ploy to talk a guy off the street into spending $1200 when the job can be done for $300.
It can be matched perfectly but someone who can blend will not do that cheap.

But at the same time I don't think its a good idea to spend a great deal on repainting the front and rear bumpers unless the car never leaves your sight out in public. Inevitably someone in a high car like an SUV or pick up will back into bumper. I had one guy do that with me in the car at gas station. I've repainted the bumpers many times..
I would encourage you to clear wrap the front bumper rather than paying a great deal to have it painted. My car originally came with it and was worth every cent. I skipped it on the second respray and not more than a week later something kicked up from a truck in front of me on the highway and scratched the fresh paint...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

I just had my hood painted (black) and it matched the bumper perfectly
2001 Boxster S: Triple Black, Sport Package, Special Chasis Rigidly Tuned, Headlight Washers, Turbo Wheels, Litronics, Full Leather, 03 Top, Sumitomo HTR ZIII, IMS/RMS, Kenwood KDC-BT562U, DEPO Tails, Cocomats, KUDA Cellphone Holder, Ultimate Cupholders, Zaino Shine

PCA-MAGNOLIA
fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have had both my front an rear bumper repainted to match. It never looked out of place, and there is no need to 'fade' the color on other panels. As other's have said, keep shopping around. It should cost about $250-400 to repaint the bumper.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:20 AM   #11

Garage
I have a 99 Arctic silver. Just had a rear bumper off an 03-04 painted by a local shop. the paint matched perfectly!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:13 AM   #12

Well... just to throw a turd in everyones punch bowl, here's a picture of my Arctic Silver 2002S (factory paint) with a 1997 Arctic Silver hardtop (factory paint).

Both are factory Arctic Silver original paint, and I promise you, they don't match...

So yeah, paint changes/fades over time.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #13

Here's another view...
And I've had this top on the 2000 Arctic Silver Box in the back of the picture, and it doesn't match it either, nor do the two Arctic Silver cars match exactly sitting side-by-side.
Attached Images

Last edited by RedTele58; 07-09-2015 at 06:22 AM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #14

I've painted a few dozen cars and I think the guy is somewhat right about it not matching. That's if he's going with the factory paint code compared to 12 year old paint. Especially with a car from sunny California! I don't see painting just the front clip solving the color difference though. To me that makes the door and fender not match then. The paint can be matched, but I think you should take it to one of your best body shops in town if not the dealer. They can probably tweak the color on site if need be. I'd be more concern about how clean the shop is and if they can mix, than price.
I had a white truck I had to paint in stages once. The same paint code from the same mixer came out with three different shades of white. The difference was slight, but I noticed it. I also notice orange peel, fish eyes, dirt, sags, runs, sanding marks or bad taping too.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 07-09-2015 at 07:32 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #15

I swear one day I'm going to learn how to paint cars and convert my garage into a spray booth and do it myself. I know it's a ton of work but I'd have a lot of pride doing it myself.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I swear one day I'm going to learn how to paint cars and convert my garage into a spray booth and do it myself. I know it's a ton of work but I'd have a lot of pride doing it myself.
or you could learn how to vinyl wrap cars youself.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
I have been involved with a few paint jobs done in a garage. We took sheets of plastic and put a 2x4 at the top of the sheet, then nailed it to the ceiling. It created a perfect paint booth and meant everything else in the garage was protected. The plastic was held down at the bottom by another 2x4. Wet the floor down with a garden hose to keep the dust down. Bunny suit and a full respirator. Pick a calm day and you push the vehicle outside to let the paint flash off outdoors. Then push it inside for another coat. We have done a few race vehicles and one of my old daily drivers this way. Except for a few runs that involved a lack of skill they came out great. We used Dupont Prothane? a urethane for a few. Then again, they weren't Porsches.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #18

I had my 1999 "blue" front bumper painted for $350. It looks like new and still does a year later. Find another shop.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
Thanks guys. I'll start calling some other shops and get it done then
Fabricante Auto Body
26341 Dimension Dr, Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949) 859-8639

They do a great job, and guarantee their work as long as you own your car which for me it was important
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Fabricante Auto Body
26341 Dimension Dr, Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949) 859-8639

They do a great job, and guarantee their work as long as you own your car which for me it was important
thanks. I'm in Dana point today, I will stop by there on my way home