Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Spoiler Mod 2007

Hi,
I'm not in love with the the spoiler on the 2007. I've never seen a spoiler that sticks up like a solid wall. A spoiler is usually a wing that is suspended by two supports. I was looking at it the other day and the support 'wall' is actually a plastic housing that looks like it can be removed.
Has anyone ever removed it? If so, once its off, does the spoiler look more like the second picture? Or does that housing hide some unsightly mechanical apparatus?

lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Garage
[QUOTE
A spoiler is usually a wing that is suspended by two supports. I was looking at it the other day and the support 'wall' is actually a plastic housing that looks like it can be removed.
Has anyone ever removed it?[/QUOTE]

The Spoiler is designed to disrupt the airflow which spoils the lift on the back end of the car at high speed. If you remove the wall you will render it useless.
pilut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

987 spoiler retrofit on my 986(please don't mind the gross tail lights, those are on the "to-do" list)

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 07-06-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Hi,
I'm not in love with the the spoiler on the 2007. I've never seen a spoiler that sticks up like a solid wall. A spoiler is usually a wing that is suspended by two supports. I was looking at it the other day and the support 'wall' is actually a plastic housing that looks like it can be removed.
Has anyone ever removed it? If so, once its off, does the spoiler look more like the second picture? Or does that housing hide some unsightly mechanical apparatus?

Not a spoiler it's a air dam
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
987 spoiler retrofit on my 986(please don't mind the gross tail lights, those are on the "to-do" list)

I like this better than any I have seen..is it just a stock fitted ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Hi,

Removing the solid portion of this is dangerous it removes the down force on the rear of the car, and as shown in this set of pics's causes lift. The top and bottom surfaces of the stock 986, 987 are sloped in the wrong direction to be used as a wing.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 07-06-2015 at 02:33 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I like this better than any I have seen..is it just a stock fitted ?
Thank you. What happened was my original spoiler motor was already bad so I replaced it with a 987 spoiler motor and assembly($50 used, low mileage,ebay) and also happened to find the Cayman S upper and lower spoiler($60 ebay).

The entire unit bolts right on and plugs right in. You can use the 986 factory spoiler motor assembly but the posts require some grinding since the 987 posts are flat at the top.

987 spoiler motor assembly

986 spoiler motor assembly

Last edited by Top_Ramen; 07-06-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Could you use the wall and still have the down force ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

Unfortunately not. the upper and lower pieces of the 987 spoiler are completely different

(not my pic)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Unfortunately not. the upper and lower pieces of the 987 spoiler are completely different

(not my pic)
have you noticed any problems with the rear end at high speeds?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Which is why it doesn't sit flush when down and looks odd. I like it up, but my OCD wouldn't be able to handle the way it looks when down.

Definitely looks better on your black car, though
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:54 AM   #12
2005, Tiptronic

Quote:
A spoiler is usually a wing that....
A spoiler is never a wing. A spoiler spoils the airflow over a car to decrease lift. A wing is designed specifically to create downward force. We have spoilers on our cars.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
have you noticed any problems with the rear end at high speeds?
I still haven't gone over a 100 or anything in the car but t still feels the same at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Which is why it doesn't sit flush when down and looks odd. I like it up, but my OCD wouldn't be able to handle the way it looks when down.

Definitely looks better on your black car, though
It's not bad, The gaps between the wing and the trunk and rear bumper are perfect but I hate how the wing sits a good 3-4mm higher even when the wing is down
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:

(not my pic)
I want to know why no one has commented on the Faux egg nest or the ashtray on the table. Totally missing the opportunity for some wonderful comments.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I still haven't gone over a 100 or anything in the car but t still feels the same at highway speeds.

It's not bad, The gaps between the wing and the trunk and rear bumper are perfect but I hate how the wing sits a good 3-4mm higher even when the wing is down
I never hit triple digits anymore and I like the look of this one. I planned to make my own out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, but modifying this one may be easier. My biggest fear is that the gaps would be more obvious on my white car.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the upper portion from below...?
Is it plastic or fiber?

Edit: I like the shape of the wing, but would also retain the air dam spoiler. A hybrid...

Last edited by particlewave; 07-07-2015 at 10:12 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #16

Quote:

Can you test at top speed
Old 07-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I never hit triple digits anymore and I like the look of this one. I planned to make my own out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, but modifying this one may be easier. My biggest fear is that the gaps would be more obvious on my white car.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the upper portion from below...?
Is it plastic or fiber?

Edit: I like the shape of the wing, but would also retain the air dam spoiler. A hybrid...
DO IT! If you can find a used upper and lower cheap enough, I'm pretty sure you can modify t a bit better to sit lower and more flush. Another thing is that the wing sits better on the pre-facelift rear bumper IMO. You don't have that big gap in the rear you usually have on the 03+ rear bumpers.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Can you test at top speed
Definitely not going anywhere NEAR top speed until I replace my rear trailing arms. lol
Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

there are wing type spoilers on e-bay for the 986's which look good on them. I have a cayman wing spoiler on my 05 boxster s which in my opinion looks really good. the rear trunk contours of the 986 do not match the contours of the 987, so the fitment will never look correct. my advice,if you want the wing spoiler, get the correct one for your car......
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

I guess what I'm looking for is a wing-type spoiler that, when closed, is completely flush. Sounds like this is not available.

lurky is offline   Reply With Quote