Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #221

Congrats on your retirement. I'm almost 4 years in and everyday is a good day!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #222

Good to hear from you you. Glad to hear you and th beast are doing well.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #223

Hey guys it's time for more power Haha at least I hope so , if anyone knows Jake he never sits still he's always trying to improve . Part of that process has been coming up with an in house tuner and software vs. outsourcing as he has done in the past . This in house tuning has been available only to engine buyers for maybe 6 months or so . If the planets line up I will be on the dyno sometime next week to see if we can tune some more power out of her .

The last time she was on the dyno was with out sourced tuning and a GHL muffler . As of today the tuning has not changed but I have removed the GHL and installed a Mille Miglia I purchased used . Nothing else has changed other than I have added miles to her . I'm hoping for maybe 10 extra horse and some torque but we may get less or we may get more This will basically be it for tuning changes , I do however have a factory S muffler that I have modified with bypass pipes via 911brick on this forum . At some point I'll swap mufflers , get her on the dyno and see what changes that muffler makes if any . Other than that I drive her like I stole her
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #224

So it's been 4 years and 7,000 miles later got a chance to get back to Jake's shop to do some fine tuning . I looked back at my old dyno charts and she made 277 hp and 245 lb. ft. of torque at the wheels when she was new . That was in the winter so cold crisp air . The only thing I have altered since then is I took off the GHL muffler and installed the stock S muffler with a home version of PSE bypass pipes . Jake has a new propriatory tuning system so I decided to try it . Yesterday the temps were in the mid 80's but not too humid so decent conditions .

Basically after about 15 pulls we had it dialed in , the AFR's from idle to 7K are perfect with max hp of 282.22 and torque of 252 ........... at the wheels ! The throttle response is even more crisp than it was which is hard to believe . Idle is rock steady , light throttle or heavy throttle she's as smooth as a turbine . Zero drivability issues it starts great cold or hot . One of the guys at the shop stated mine pulls as hard as some 4 litres he has driven . I know Jake is building some monster motors so mine is a pip squeek in comparison but I wouldn't trade mine for anything at the moment . Driving " the beast " in the mountains is just crazy I can power slide at will or keep her sedate and in control . I can't imagine how many of these Porsche could have sold if they rolled off the assembly line like this one .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #225

Glad to hear it was worth your time and money. Always a great feeling when things work out.
When my engine goes bang I’ll definitely be going bigger.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #226
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

"At the wheels"in original pull?

You stated that she made the first set of numbers at the wheels and then made a big point about the second set of numbers being at the wheels?

Did you make a typo and mean to say the first numbers were at the crank?

Also, those first numbers are larger than the Porsche factory numbers.

Are the first numbers after some mods?

Thanks.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #227

I went typo crazy , all numbers posted are at the wheels as tested on a Dyno Jet .
Old 08-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #228

Final clarification , all hp and torque numbers from 4 years ago and yesterday are after Jake built the engine . My guess is she's around 315 or so at the crank . But it's just numbers it's how it drives that is the most important . And she drives very well
Old 08-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #229
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Thanks!

Roger, that!

Soooo, the power increase was just from the tuning?

Jake is awesome. He has helped me so much since I bought my 986 in 2015. I shipped my Box to him and he installed his "IMS Solution" and a list of other preventative work I requested.

The car has been a dream.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote