Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

How to: Remove side air vent

Hi,

I have done a search on this topic and the links I am finding are not working. I am trying to get the driver side air vent on the rear panel out. Found this link and tried to follow to the best of my ability, but no luck - Vent Page - Boxster Tech

Can someone please help? I did not want to break the clips so stopped. I am sure there is a simple step or a few steps I am missing.

Appreciate the guidance.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce
Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Remove vents

Trying to let the pics do the talkin here as this is got to be one of those most confusing tasks. I ended up just pushing the vent piece into the car at the attachment points shown in pic. The 3 fingers held in by metal clip pushed away from it with gentle pressure. You will not be able to see it push through though cause the surround is in the way. Once pushed in the surround came out with a little coaxing, it is just pressure fit into body. The manual says that there is a tab at 1st and 4th bar on each side that you insert a plastic tool and push vent away from surround as well. Hope this helps. This is an 02 yours may be different. Forgot, one more important screw under top center needs to come out first.

Last edited by Lapister; 05-29-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
I've tried twice, gotten as far as getting out the screw, and the pulled the 'chute and put it back together again concerned that I'd break something.
There's a recent thread on here, and particlewave mentioned how he had pulled his apart. You have to push up and back on the vent part to disengage it from a tab inmthe bottom left corner. Search away to be sure, or maybe he will chime in here too.
It's something I've wanted to do, but i've pussied out twice because I don't want to drive 1 1/2 hours to buy parts I forced and broke.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Having just broken mine taking it apart, the trickiest part is getting the bottom left corner out. There's a plastic piece (poorly) attached to the inside of the vent assembly, and you have to move the whole assembly up and to the right just a bit to get it to clear the metal edge of the hole in the quarter panel. Then the whole thing can slide out of the car.

You can see the piece I'm talking about on the far left side of this pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Even if you break the piece out like I did, some hot glue put it in place fine. Just make sure you only put the glue (or silicone caulking) on the inside edge. The outside edge has to remain clean to allow the edge of the quarter panel hole to fit in.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
still plays with cars...

Garage
High-five, Norm.
Thanks!

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote