Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Timing chain tensioner removal?

I've read both opinions on here. What's the final answer?

Can the timing chain tensioners be removed one at a time for inspect & clean or replace?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

I don't see why not. The only one that is challenging to reach is the one on top. You'll have to remove the A/C compressor to get to it.

Pump up the new ones with oil before installing them.

I'm assuming you just mean the tensioner itself and not the ramps.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
I don't see why not. The only one that is challenging to reach is the one on top. You'll have to remove the A/C compressor to get to it.

Correct. Just to check and clean the tensioners themselves. Basic things while the trans is still off.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Garage
Yes BUT!
1. Take out the small cam end plugs there are four, usually Green.
2. Turn the engine to TDC (0) pin the belt pulley with 8mm (5/16") pin.
3. With special tool lock the cams in the bank the tool fits into.
4. Remove clean and install the tensioner only for the bank that is locked with the cam lock tool.
5. Remove cam lock after the tensioner is installed remove the pin from the pulley turn the engine one (1) revolution.
6. Insert pin in pulley.
7. Insert cam lock in the other bank.
8. Remove clean and install the tensioner only for the bank that is locked with the cam tool.
9. After installing the second banks tensioner you should be able to pull the IMS chain tensioner.
10. When the IMS tensioner is installed again remove the cam lock and pulley lock pin.
11. Turn the motor 1 revolution pin the pulley check the cam position One bank the special tool should fit the other it won't.
12. Turn the motor 1 revolution again the lock the crank with the pulley pin and other banks cams should fit the cam locking tool.
13. Install new cam end plugs.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post

I was able to remove and install the tensioner on the top side without removing the A/C compressor. It took a little work to install, pushing down while turning, but easier than removing the compressor. I used this tool configuration:

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

I was under the impression that if you have the 5 chain motor, you only needed to find TDC and pin the crank pulley, not remove the cam end plugs and lock them with the special tools as well....
Old 04-23-2015, 04:09 AM   #7
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I was under the impression that if you have the 5 chain motor, you only needed to find TDC and pin the crank pulley, not remove the cam end plugs and lock them with the special tools as well....
Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please...