Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #1

Holy Cow 30k Maintenance...

I'm in the DC area, and I've been calling around for the prices for a 30k maintenance. I'm getting numbers from $750 - $1150. I asked what they did for the 30k, and the only things that seemingly are real things are oil change, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, spark plug changes.

Does this seem EXCEPTIONALLY expensive or is it just me?

JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 PM   #2

Did a 30k out here in SoCal that was $825 - welcome to the world of Porsche!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

Yeah, maybe it's a German thing. My BMW 3 Series inspections (tune ups) were up there too.
555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:42 AM   #4

yeah i think porsche thinks changing those things are worth the stamp. I did mine all myself and it wasn't bad at all. hardest part was the spark plugs but that wasn't too hard, you just need to jack the car up high enough. otherwise pollen filter is easy to locate. my porsche repair shop states that the oil should be changed every 7500 miles (M1 SYN) but i choose to change at 5000 miles. ur not saving that much money by the extra 2500 especially if you don't drive it too often. if i were someone who could do this myself my advice would be to do it myself and save that extra money for a future upgrade.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:53 AM   #5

$850.00 in michigan for the 986
$650.00 for my 02 Nissan Altima( the largest piece of crap car on the road today)
Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #6

I just got a quote of $550.00 for just the 15k on my 2.7L ? Out of the 3 dealers in Denver that was the best price I got. Kinda want the stamp for resale-?
satlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #7

Did it myself for $70. Plugs do not need to be changed on a 2000 at 30k mikes despite what Porsche says.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
Support Local Music

TP:

Would you should "suggest" a manual transmisson oil change at 30k or wait until 60-90k... My driving style is moderately hard all off the time. Also, what is the fuel filter part#?

Do you have to an "authorized factory" service change done at 30k? If you don't ,will it void warranty?
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #9

I see no reason to change the tranny oil at 30k since it is not like motor oil exposed to combustion. Filter is 996 110 253 01 which you change at 60k - no filter on a 2002 up. My warranty was over 5 years ago. They cannot force you to go to a dealer for service to keep your warranty. If you DIY keep receipts and take pictures. But if you need goodwill from your dealer you will have problems since you did not pay them $300 for an oil change. Also if you sell you will not have the stamp in your book.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #10
Watch Freak

I've said it once on this forum and I'll say it again. Part of affording a luxury item is maintaining it, not just buying it. I pay close to $2,000 a year just to insure my watches and I pay about $400 every 5 years on EACH watch just to have it factory serviced.

Losing a full day to do this kind of service on a Porsche myself (even if I knew how) would cost me more than letting the dealer do it.
2006 BMW 750i 19" Sport Wheels BK/BK-Daily
2005 Lotus Elise Sport & Touring Package-Fun
2001 Lexus RX300-Back-up Winter Beater
2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Sport AMG-Sold
2000 Boxster S Heavily Modified-Sold
2000 Nissan Altima GLE-Parking Spot Holder
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Support Local Music

Thanks TP.

On another subject...

Well, this Stryke preaching is getting annoying. I know I'm gonna come off as the **************************** but I can't take it. I'm 34, retired and my car is paid off. I just let my #1 comic books stay mounted on the wall with no insurance.

Come buy four comics only 24K...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219164793&category=35752

From the picture under your name Stryke I would assume you'd put your best watches there to keep up with the light bulb distributor tycoon story and you put a Submariner Date that looks stainless/gold and I think a Cosmograph Date. What did you think on a boxster board no one owns a Rolex or knows the value of a daily wearer.

Sometimes you want to handle things yourself even if you can pay someone else.
red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
Watch Freak

I am in no way here to "show off" to anyone. I put my two favorite watches in the Avatar which as you say is a Blue TT Sub and a SS white Daytona. I have others that I rotate daily for a little bit of a change. The avatar is there because I run a watch forum that has been active for several years so I kept the same avatar everywhere I post.

If people enjoy working on their own cars I have no problem with that. When I was 21 I had a Mustang and I loved doing everything on it myself. You can call it preaching but all it is is me showing frustration when people buy a luxury item and then complain about maintenance costs. We get it all the time on the watch forum. Someone will buy a $10,000 Rolex and then get bummed out when he finds out the price of insurance and that they need to be serviced for 4-500 dollars every several years.

The point I am making is that if you really want to save money in the long run and pay the $19.95 oil change then a Toyota Camry or the likes are great vehicles to own. The fact that you are 34 and own your car is irrelevant to the argument. I am 26 and own my cars too, so what? We all own our cars I assume. Who modifies a leased vehicle?

As far as my business goes, I don't publicize it on forums because I am not here for business. I am here for enjoyment. I answered because someone had some questions and concerns which I was able to address and I wanted to help.

I'm not here to fight with anyone. I am here to read posts relating to a car I own. If you don't like the nature of my posts then between my Avatar and signature photo they are very easy to pick out in a crowd and simply skip right over them.

P.S. I guess "Livin' Large in Houston" is a very modest statement.

P.P.S. I stopped collecting comics in the 80's but thanks for the link.

Cheers!

Last edited by Stryke; 01-22-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #13
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Fijster
Grow up Strike, your in a boxster chat, not a Ferrari Room. You have a car worth about $40,000. So don't talk about this like it's Gates v. Ellison ! And Strike, nobody with any brains points out their watch is $2,000.00 to insure, by the way, you been had at that price, not only are my Roley's covered on my home owners, so is my art and my wifes jewelry and it costs about 300.00 a year??? So now we have determined your frivolous with your funds, so there is no need to point out that you would pay to have "any" work done. I live in Nor Cal and have equity 50 times (at least) your watch collection, but I will still change my own oil... Move on. Please dont reply.
Fijster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #14

You will have to stop by when we have our work on cars in San Jose. I will put something up on renntech when there is enough interest and it does not look like rain. We usually work at Henry's house in Almaden Valley. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

There is a Porsche drive this Saturday.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 AM   #15
Watch Freak

Genius, I have my watches on my homeowners as well as a rider. First of all, NY is more expensive on jewelry insurance than CA. Secondly, it comes to about 3% of total value so $60,000 of watches is $1,800 a year to insure. It depends also on the type of insurance you want. If you want the watches insured in the house in case of break-ins it would be around 1-1.5% of their value. If you want them insured worldwide for theft or loss (as I have them insured) it comes to 3% per year of total value. It's not one watch that I am insuring, it's a few of mine and a few of my fiancé's.

P.S. "equity 50 times (at least) your watch collection"

What a childish statement! I would sure hope that if you own a Porsche your equity is higher than my watch collection. What the hell does total equity have to do with my watches? What are we comparing our assets now? This whole thing started when I said I can't believe how someone would buy a Porsche and then be shocked that it is actually expensive to maintain compared with other everyday cars.

Last edited by Stryke; 01-27-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #16

Hey hey, everyone calm down. If you don't agree with what Stryke says, just ignore him. No need to get insulting. Lets remember why we read this forum.

And as for Stryke, I got no problems with you either, though I can certainly see why people would think you might be showing off with your "passions". Lets just understand that not everyone lives like you do and not denigrate people for wanting to save some money.

JBG
Old 01-27-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
Watch Freak

I think my intentions were misconstrued. With that said, your comment is fair enough! I will move on as well...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:45 PM   #18

Boy o boy, this thread was interesting. Should we whip out our dicks and measure now or later gentlemen? Anyway, my watch cost $100 and I have $100 bucks in the bank, so both you guys have me beat! Thanks for the entertainment. Sometimes a forum needs a good arguement/pissing contest to keep things lively.

Last edited by Adam; 01-27-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #19

Just goes to prove we all view things through our own unique set of life lenses and that is not a bad thing... take me for example, as a Portfolio Manager, all this discretionary wealth makes me wish my firm did not have an absolute ban on internet marketing activity... now if someone were to send me a PM.....
Vicelike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #20
Watch Freak

I hear you. When I was a stockbroker I did get a few large clients from a forum I used to visit. I didn't go hunting for them but over time you develop relationships and people start asking questions etc. Send me a PM or an email about where you work. I was in downtown Manhattan on Wall St. from 1999 to 2001.