Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #1

Very Strange Steering Noise!

Guys,

This is a "before I take it to the shop" kind of post. I've had excellent advice & support here and hoping someone can shed some light before I take the car in.

I have an '05 Boxster. About a week ago a very strange problem started.

When you start the car THE FIRST TIME in a day; not the second or the third, but only the first time - usually morning - there is an extremely LOUD & Horrendous noise that comes from car if the Steering is moved even just a tad. The more you rotate the steering, the louder/horrendous the noise gets. If you don't touch the steering at all - NO NOISE. So it's definitely connected to the steering.

Here's the kicker: The noise goes away after 10 - 15 minutes of driving. No matter what you do - you WILL NOT get that noise back the rest of the day. It's ONLY happening the first time you start the car and ONLY happening for the first 10 - 15 minutes.

The noise is really, really, obnoxiously loud & horrendous. My whole neighborhood, anyone on the roads, everyone can hear it.

I have ZERO idea what is going on. This problem did not happen ever until a week ago. Not even a squeak!! Not even a pinch!! And then suddenly this. As the days are going on, the noise is escalating - it's louder, more horrendous, and very, very sensitive to even a hair movement in the steering. But like I said, only the first time you start the car; and only for the first 10 - 15 minutes of driving.

It's almost as if something needs to "warm up" and after it "warms up", no noise!

I cannot drive the car anymore because I don't know what's going on, if the steering is going to bust, and quite frankly it's very obnoxiously loud.

Is there a power steering fluid or something I should be checking? I know some cars have it; I don't know if Boxster's do.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.

Thanks!!

luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Power steering pump is going bad.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Looking around the Internet, I'm hitting similar issues. Pump or something called the 'strut bearings'. Either way, I'm obviously out of warranty. A top of the head approximation on how much you think this might cost to fix?

Thanks.

PS: I'd also like to check the Power Steering Fluid but I don't know how. I know it's in the Engine Compartment somewhere. Is there a youtube video or something similar I could look at? Thanks!

Last edited by luci5r; 04-06-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luci5r View Post
Looking around the Internet, I'm hitting similar issues. Pump or something called the 'strut bearings'. Either way, I'm obviously out of warranty. A top of the head approximation on how much you think this might cost to fix?

Thanks.

PS: I'd also like to check the Power Steering Fluid but I don't know how. I know it's in the Engine Compartment somewhere. Is there a youtube video or something similar I could look at? Thanks!
Check this out

Check Power Steering Level Porsche Boxster (1997-2004) - 1998 Porsche Boxster 2.5L 6 Cyl.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

Several good videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=access+engine+compartment+on+ boxster

Your owner's manual also has the procedure for accessing the engine compartment. It can be kind of intimidating the first time, but it is pretty easy and only takes a few moments once you get used to it.

Here's a download for the 2005 Boxster manual if you don't have a hardcopy:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Other/Porshe/Owners%20Manuals/porsche_boxster_owners_manual_2005.pdf

Page 185 for opening the engine compartment and page 189 for the procedure to check the power steering fluid. NAPA auto parts usually carries The Pentosin CHF 11 S.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Several good videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=access+engine+compartment+on+ boxster

Your owner's manual also has the procedure for accessing the engine compartment. It can be kind of intimidating the first time, but it is pretty easy and only takes a few moments once you get used to it.

Here's a download for the 2005 Boxster manual if you don't have a hardcopy:

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Other/Porshe/Owners%20Manuals/porsche_boxster_owners_manual_2005.pdf

Page 185 for opening the engine compartment and page 189 for the procedure to check the power steering fluid. NAPA auto parts usually carries The Pentosin CHF 11 S.
Guys,

Thank you very much for the videos; I do have the manual but thanks for the link. This is exactly what I'll do first before I take the car in anywhere. You're right, it does look a little intimidating since I've never done it before - but nothing over the top either. I'll definitely give it a shot!

Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Guys,

So I hit a wall in getting to the engine compartment. I reached the point where you need unscrew the 5 screws to remove the cover, and didn't really have any problems getting to that point. Followed the instructions in the manual and got to the engine cover rather easily, without issue.

The problem is the 5 screws. They won't budge! They are really tight. They seem to be some kind of "allen" type and the only thing I found that fit it fine was an old allen key that was used on some furniture I put together. It's a little, flimsy key and I just couldn't get any of the screws to budge.

The back cover made accessing the panel somewhat difficult, it's really not completely open and accessible; so I was half bending over the car in trying to unscrew, and I just couldn't apply enough strength.

Only thing I can think of is using some WD40 and see if that helps. Judging by how tight & snug these screws are, I don't believe this thing has been opened in a long time; and if it hasn't - my guess is I'm running really low, if not empty, on the power steering fluid. So before I take this car in, I'd really like to get those 5 screws open somehow and check the fluid level.

Don't know if you guys have any suggestions. Sort of a stupid problem.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

OK so you have got to the stage where you have to remove the screws - called Zeuse clips. These aren't screws as such as they only "unscrew" half a turn, not multiple turns.
Have you got an old screwdriver - there is one in the toolkit in the frunk (front trunk) which you can slip into the Zeuse clip ring to loosen it the half turn. Once all clips are loose you should be able to lift off the lid - careful not to drop it on the paintwork.
A note of warning - if you find the power steering fluid low, you must use the correct Pentosin fluid type CHF 202 or equivalent - don't use just any old fluid.
Sounds like the car also needs the air filter checked while you have the metal engine lid off ....
Old 04-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
OK so you have got to the stage where you have to remove the screws - called Zeuse clips. These aren't screws as such as they only "unscrew" half a turn, not multiple turns.
Have you got an old screwdriver - there is one in the toolkit in the frunk (front trunk) which you can slip into the Zeuse clip ring to loosen it the half turn. Once all clips are loose you should be able to lift off the lid - careful not to drop it on the paintwork.
A note of warning - if you find the power steering fluid low, you must use the correct Pentosin fluid type CHF 202 or equivalent - don't use just any old fluid.
Sounds like the car also needs the air filter checked while you have the metal engine lid off ....
Steve,

I did a quick google search on Zeuse clips, and what I'm facing is totally not Zeuse clips. I don't know if they changed with 987's, because I do see a lot of Internet images of 986 and older Boxster's using Zeuse Clips for the engine cover, or if the previous owner of my Boxster replaced the Zeuse clips. But what I've got are actual screws - they are going to need to be unscrewed completely. They are really screwed in and bolted down hard.

Unfortunately I closed everything up so I can't take a picture this second, but this is the closest that I could up with on Google, except they are Gold plated and have even more inner rings/grooves then these:

Incidentally, Page 186 of the owner's manual also speaks of using an "Alen Key" to "unscrew" the 5 "catches". So I'm almost wondering if they changed the Zeuse clips to these really funky screws in 987. I could be wrong.

Either way, these are definitely screws and they are ridiculously bolted down hard.

In terms of the fluid, yes, steved0x suggested the Pentosin CHF 11 S, which is exactly what I find in the owner's manual as well, so I wouldn't use anything else for sure.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #10

Ahh, I didn't realise the 987 may have a different lock down system.
You will need to buy a cheap set of Allan keys from your local auto store - they are very cheap but without them you will not get them to unscrew.
Welcome to the slippery slope of car maintenance - if you spend too much time on 986 Forum, by next year you will be completing the major services on your car.....
Old 04-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

Check behind the spare tire in the front trunk for the tool roll, they may include the correct allen key.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Check behind the spare tire in the front trunk for the tool roll, they may include the correct allen key.
There was some stuff there, but no go on the allen key. Will have to pick it up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Ahh, I didn't realise the 987 may have a different lock down system.
You will need to buy a cheap set of Allan keys from your local auto store - they are very cheap but without them you will not get them to unscrew.
Welcome to the slippery slope of car maintenance - if you spend too much time on 986 Forum, by next year you will be completing the major services on your car.....
Lol, that would be welcome. I do enjoy doing all this work on the car myself. Had a long running thread about a dead battery & trunk locked sometime back that I managed to resolve myself with all the help I received here.

Thanks guys. Will let you know about the screws.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
finding the spare in a 987 is a bit of a problem... the spare is a bottle of tire sealant and a mini compressor...
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #14

FAR more luck this morning guys!

So as it turns out, I did have the right allen key in my tool box. I have a set of about 18 allen keys & screw tips for one of my power screw drivers and one of them fit like a glove. It's the 5/32 key. As planned - I had sprayed some WD40 on the 5 screws and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Snapped the allen key on my power screw driver and the screws unscrewed with very little effort.

I have to say, WD40 has saved my life on more occasions then I care to remember.

Propping out the power steering fluid knob, there was absolutely no sign of fluid on the stick. Unfortunately the placement of the fluid container is such, with the seat back rear bar that you can't peep into it. For the life of me, from no angle, could I get a look into the container. Finally used a long, thing, plastic wire-tie. There's NO Fluid in the container. It's bone dry!! Very disturbing.

So at this point I have to pick up the Pentosin CHF 11 S synthetic hydraulic fluid from one of my local auto stores. I'm assuming this would be the right kind:

Pentosin CHF 11 S

This store is barely 5 minutes from my house. Online these 1 liter bottles are about $20, but can't find them any cheaper then $25 in most stores around here. Pep boys a bit down the road has the same for the same price. I'll probably just stop at O'Reilly.

Once I have the fluid replenished, I'll try driving around a little to see if the noise goes away. If it still doesn't, I'll have no choice but to bring it in to a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
finding the spare in a 987 is a bit of a problem... the spare is a bottle of tire sealant and a mini compressor...
LOL! I was going to mention. That's exactly what I have. The bottle of sealant & compressor. No spare.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luci5r View Post
FAR more luck this morning guys!

So as it turns out, I did have the right allen key in my tool box. I have a set of about 18 allen keys & screw tips for one of my power screw drivers and one of them fit like a glove. It's the 5/32 key. As planned - I had sprayed some WD40 on the 5 screws and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Snapped the allen key on my power screw driver and the screws unscrewed with very little effort.

I have to say, WD40 has saved my life on more occasions then I care to remember.

Propping out the power steering fluid knob, there was absolutely no sign of fluid on the stick. Unfortunately the placement of the fluid container is such, with the seat back rear bar that you can't peep into it. For the life of me, from no angle, could I get a look into the container. Finally used a long, thing, plastic wire-tie. There's NO Fluid in the container. It's bone dry!! Very disturbing.

So at this point I have to pick up the Pentosin CHF 11 S synthetic hydraulic fluid from one of my local auto stores. I'm assuming this would be the right kind:

Pentosin CHF 11 S

This store is barely 5 minutes from my house. Online these 1 liter bottles are about $20, but can't find them any cheaper then $25 in most stores around here. Pep boys a bit down the road has the same for the same price. I'll probably just stop at O'Reilly.

Once I have the fluid replenished, I'll try driving around a little to see if the noise goes away. If it still doesn't, I'll have no choice but to bring it in to a shop.

LOL! I was going to mention. That's exactly what I have. The bottle of sealant & compressor. No spare.

Thanks guys.
Hmmmmm if the fluid is down substantially it could mean a few things that need checking further like a leaking fluid reservoir, steering pump or line. If the fluid is not down a whole lot and topping it off gets rid of the noise you might be golden but it doesn't explain why it was low. It's not like brake pads wearing and you get low on brake fluid.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

First off let me start by thanking absolutely everyone who posted here and helped me out.

So last evening I poured in the Pentosin CHF 11 S into the power steering fluid reservoir; took about half a liter or so of the bottle to bring it to the "Cold" marking on the measuring stick. After wrapping up the engine compartment, gave it about 20 minutes to sit and fired up the car. Absolutely no noise! I had noise up to the point where I went to the O'Reilly Auto Parts store to pick up the fluid. So it was a noticeable difference. However, as I stated in my original problem - the noise used to eventually go away. So I wasn't convinced problem is necessarily over.

Real test was starting the car first time in the morning. That is exactly what I did this morning. Absolutely NO NOISE! Drove the car a little, just cannot replicate the noise anymore. Unquestionably, as it appears for now, unless the problem reappears - the bone dry power steering fluid was the problem. Refilling it seems to have resolved it.

This saved me a trip to the shop and some chunk of money, since the car is no longer under warranty and everything would be out of pocket.

This is the second time now folks here have helped me diagnose and resolve an issue which otherwise would warrant a trip to the shop.

THANKS everyone for your input, advise and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Hmmmmm if the fluid is down substantially it could mean a few things that need checking further like a leaking fluid reservoir, steering pump or line. If the fluid is not down a whole lot and topping it off gets rid of the noise you might be golden but it doesn't explain why it was low. It's not like brake pads wearing and you get low on brake fluid.
That is a good question. I don't have the answer to that, and it is concerning. The car is about 11 years old and I'm the second owner. I've owned it for about 3 years now. I don't believe the fluid has ever been checked so I'm not sure when exactly the fluid emptied, or if it was ever checked / replenished in the 11 year life span of the vehicle. I'm really not sure.

At some point I plan on checking the fluid level, and also keep an ear out for the noise to reappear.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #17

Garage
Keep an eye out front of the car and back of the car for fluid leakage.
The steering rack could be leaking or the power steering/reservoir/hoses could be leaking
Don't wait for the noise as then thing have gone to far and the $$$ to fix go way up
When ever I do anything fluid related I put news paper down under the car parked in my garage as an drip indicator until I'm sure things are dry

I have to ask. 3 years of ownership, have you ever gone into the engine compartment before or have you always had a mechanic service things?

There's not much in the engine compartment that needs servicing except steering fluid and Air filter but it's good to look around to see if something out of place

Pentosin CHF 11 S is $$$ I was a bit low so I tracked down a can @$25. Took so little to bring it to level now I have 99% of a can. just sitting there. Well it is good for Floor jacks

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
Keep an eye out front of the car and back of the car for fluid leakage.
The steering rack could be leaking or the power steering/reservoir/hoses could be leaking
Don't wait for the noise as then thing have gone to far and the $$$ to fix go way up
When ever I do anything fluid related I put news paper down under the car parked in my garage as an drip indicator until I'm sure things are dry

I have to ask. 3 years of ownership, have you ever gone into the engine compartment before or have you always had a mechanic service things?

There's not much in the engine compartment that needs servicing except steering fluid and Air filter but it's good to look around to see if something out of place

Pentosin CHF 11 S is $$$ I was a bit low so I tracked down a can @$25. Took so little to bring it to level now I have 99% of a can. just sitting there. Well it is good for Floor jacks
I did exactly that when I was pouring in the oil! Absolutely no leaks since last evening - nothing under the car, entire length. I was also quite concerned where did the fluid go so this I had in mind to check for any leakage. None so far, which is a good sign.

The car stands in my driveway, which is quite clean and lighter in color, so I will be keeping an eye on the pavement. Making sure there are no leaks. I know there haven't been any during the last year or so since this is where the car parks.

I had never gone into the engine compartment before. Yesterday was my first time. Quite frankly, the car has only gone into the shop maybe 2 times over the last 3 years I've owned it. It's actually 2 & half years to be accurate. An oil change and a break pads/rotor replacement - that's it. So quite honestly, I don't believe anyone, even a mechanic, has gone into the engine compartment since I've owned this car. Which is why i had to use WD40 to get the 5 screws loosened.

I had a battery issue where I had to replace the battery, run current to the jumpers to open the hood -- but none of that required the engine compartment and I was able to handle it by myself.

Now that you mention it - maybe I should check the air filter!!

Got the CHF 11S for the same cost - $25. But for me it took a little more then half the can, I believe a little over half liter. So I have less then half a can sitting now. Worked out well.

UPDATE #2: Took a longer drive. No noise, nothing whatsoever. Very smooth. In fact, I almost feel like the steering is handling smoother then it ever has in the last 2.5 years I've owned this car. Still no signs of any leakage anywhere.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I was thinking th3 throwout bearing

jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote