Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #21

Drain the oil, remove the filter and cut it so you can roll it out and look at it....this will give you a place to start and costs nothing.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Drain the oil, remove the filter and cut it so you can roll it out and look at it....this will give you a place to start and costs nothing.
This^^^^^Take a deep breath and sort out the options. It really depends on the current condition of the rest of your car and how much you like the color/options combination and what you have to spend.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #23

For $25.00 9 pretty cheap for piece of mind), you could also send an oil sample to Blackstone, to see whats what.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #24
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Car has 81,000 miles on it - most parts are *probably* original and therefore on the verge of needing replaced. Wear and tear will have taken it's toll so many of these parts will be, what's the term, 'well used'? That will diminish the value quite a bit.

Everyone is different and everyone regards their time differently as well. Personally, could not be bother spending the time and energy parting out a car when I'd rather sell it as-is and get another one. Rather be out cruising than tearing it down.

Hey Woody - are these cars "worth a fortune in parts"? Woody would know best.
I'm pretty sure Woody buys all these Boxsters and parts them out to lose money.

You just don't see the big picture. He has a complete car to part out, motor, trans, air conditioning unit, alternator, lights, fenders, doors, wheels, top, probably everything in the interior is worth selling, hood, trunk, tires, spare tire, tool kit, bumpers, under body panels, the list goes on and on.

Let me ask you this. If you just started out with just the carcass, what would it cost you to replace all the parts to put the car back on the road? Not counting the motor, probably $10,000 or more using used parts.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post

You just don't see the big picture. He has a complete car to part out, motor, trans, air conditioning unit, alternator, lights, fenders, doors, wheels, top, probably everything in the interior is worth selling, hood, trunk, tires, spare tire, tool kit, bumpers, under body panels, the list goes on and on.

Let me ask you this. If you just started out with just the carcass, what would it cost you to replace all the parts to put the car back on the road? Not counting the motor, probably $10,000 or more using used parts.
Time

Time is money, What is your time worth?

For me if I had the space, and the time, it may be totally worth it. But everyone's time is worth money.

You do not see me cutting the lawn, as the time required for me to do it is not worth the money I pay to have someone else do it. However for my neighbor. it is totally worth it as he has plenty of time and enjoys it.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post

I get the big picture. First, Woody - yes, he makes money or else why do it? But does he also have a lot of parts sitting around he can't sell? Most likely. He also has all the shipping figured out and as it's his business, it's worth his time. For someone who has never done this and probably doesn't have all the tools, it's a big undertaking. You will have the carcass there for a long time. Wonder how patient his wife is? Does he have a lift? Can he himself even get the motor out? How do you ship a motor?
You can't compare someone who does it for a living and is an expert (Woody) with someone who has never done this.

You are making a big assumption that just because he is parting it out, people will line up for everything he has. He could have the hood sit and collect dust for months and months or longer. Or the trunk. Or a door panel. Or all of the above. You yourself have never done it, so you really don't know.

Again, this forum has it's fair share of people who are parting out cars and they all still have parts hanging around - some of which are big items that take up a lot of space. I'd love to hear them chime in and say whether they would do it again or whether or not they would choose to sell it as-is.

To me, to part a single car takes a lot of time and energy and tools and space. Some people have that to spare, so good for them. Great way to learn about the car. All the power to them. But to assume everyone who has a dead car should part it out is silly.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #27

Garage
Thank you all for the good advice. Here's some update.

I went back to the shop this morning. The shop owner didn't take the engine apart because it would take another 25hrs worth of labor just to find out what the extent of the damage is. He told me that the problem was probably caused by a failing VarioCam tensioner which caused cylinder 4, 5, and 6 to get out of timing and most likely bent some valves... or more. Total cost estimate for repair the engine (assuming only the valves were damaged) is around $8,000 (parts and labor).

I then went to the 2nd Porsche independent shop to get a rough estimate for an engine swap. Obviously, he couldn't give me an exact number until he finds an engine but he said it'll probably cost between $8,000 and $10,000.

I called a local Porsche dismantler, he told me that he won't pay more than $2,000 for the car as is. If I decide to buy a 3.2L engine from him it'll cost me around $6,000 which is in line with what the 2nd shop owner told me earlier.

I think the best course of action for me at this point is to tow the car back to my house and take some time to think about it. One thing for sure is no matter which way I go I'm gonna be losing a lot of money. I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in buying a 2001 Boxster S roller for more than $3k-$4k even if the car looks amazingly good cosmetically.
fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #28

Garage
Fab986
There isn't really anything anyone can say that will make this situation any better
Other than 'You won the Power Ball' - then who gives a Crap what happened
If this happened to me right now (And it could to any of us) I'd be sitting on a car that I would still have to pay the bank for another year.

Best of luck
Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #29

fab986 - This is posted on the classified section Currently for sale - ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************MB MOTORSPORTS

"2000-2002 Porsche Boxster S newly rebuilt 3.2L engine $5,500"

Assuming that you can get it shipped and installed for $8K, you have a zero mile engine Boxster S for $18K. That is not too bad.
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab986 View Post
Thank you all for the good advice. Here's some update.

... told me that the problem was probably caused by a failing VarioCam tensioner which caused cylinder 4, 5, and 6 to get out of timing and most likely bent some valves... or more. Total cost estimate for repair the engine (assuming only the valves were damaged) is around $8,000 (parts and labor).

Why so much to pull one head, replace 3 valves , reassemble and time engine?

I think the best course of action for me at this point is to tow the car back to my house and take some time to think about it. One thing for sure is no matter which way I go I'm gonna be losing a lot of money. I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in buying a 2001 Boxster S roller for more than $3k-$4k even if the car looks amazingly good cosmetically.
Exactly my advice- wait, research and then plan an attack! You owe it to yourself to move cautiously. Also, as others have said it can be scoped for little$$$$ before any disassembly. Another way of looking at things as they stand is that your prized Porsche is a bit of a project now and will eventually be driven by you when it's finished (committed).
Old 03-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
fab986 - This is posted on the classified section Currently for sale - ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************MB MOTORSPORTS

Assuming that you can get it shipped and installed for $8K, you have a zero mile engine Boxster S for $18K. That is not too bad.
That is what I would do as well.....or try and get that 3.4
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
That is what I would do as well.....or try and get that 3.4
Actually thought about it. Since the engine's dead and needs to be replaced why not through in there a better engine? I asked how much more would be to put a 3.4 or 3.6 engine instead but the guy said it'll cost twice as much because those engines are much more expensive and you have to redo the whole harness and reprogram (or replace) the ECU.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #34
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:

That's a great idea if you have the money to do it. No core exchange either, so you might find a shop that will swap the motors and keep yours for the labor cost.

$2,000 is what I thought Jake would give for a core, just like those guys, especially one that didn't actually blow.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #35

Hey Fab986,

Why don't yo remove the valve cover to see if you have a broken spring...?
who knows, you may get lucky..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
To me, to part a single car takes a lot of time and energy and tools and space. Some people have that to spare, so good for them. Great way to learn about the car. All the power to them. But to assume everyone who has a dead car should part it out is silly.
The OP asked

Quote:
Should I try to sell it as-is? Should I dismantle it and sell the parts (is it even legal)?
My answer was based on his question. I'm not telling everyone to part out their cars. Like you said some don't have the time or tools to do this. With the OP asking that question, I gave my answer which way to get the most money back vs selling it as a roller.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #37

Quote:

What brand is that IMS they have listed?

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/uploads/3/3/7/7/3377303/9402868_orig.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hey Fab986,

Why don't yo remove the valve cover to see if you have a broken spring...?
who knows, you may get lucky..

The shop quoted me $3,900 (27 hrs x $145/hr) for taking the engine apart to see what the problem is. He also said that it's not that simple because you need a special tool that cost $15,000 which is why not all shops can do it.
He also said that based on his experience when something like this happens the valves are most likely bent which is another $2,000 in parts to fix the engine.

I haven't really had the time yet to check around and see if I can get a better quote somewhere else. Is there any experienced Porsche mechanics out there on the forum who could tell me if the estimate he gave me sounds reasonable?
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #39

27 hrs seems like a whole bunch to me to me just to take it apart. I would get some more opinions from the forum and hopefully from some others in the Bay area. My sympathies to you. I have a 2000 base and while I love the car the vision of sudden disintegration is not far from my mind when I'm out cavorting.

Rick
SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #40
Need For Speed

Garage
Pull the spark plug from from cylinder 4, since that's the cylinder the had no compression in your first post and see if it looks something like this.

Last edited by KRAM36; 03-24-2015 at 11:00 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote