Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

out of Hibernation

Wow, First year with my 97 Boxster. Put it away in early November. Filled tank, stabilizer, put a battery maintainer on it. Bang car started as if it was the middle of summer. Impressive!!! it did rev a little high for 1 or 2 seconds right off the hop.

Ive had some classics, and its always been say a pray and turn the key. then figure out what needs to be done to get it started.

Still can't believe the performance of this car!!!!!!! WOW!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Garage
Jealous!! Thinking of pulling mine out this weekend !
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hibernation? What's that?
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #4

I'm envious of all y'all in fair weather areas for sure... I took my Boxster out twice over the last 2 weeks, short rides to/from work. Here in the North East we're experiencing, YET AGAIN for the 2nd year in a row now ultra cold and well below average temperatures for weeks and even months now. I'M REALLY TIRED OF IT and here, tomorrow it's expected to SN*W YET AGAIN, 2-5 Inches. This means the local and state transportation agencies (read "idiot proofers") will yet again drop tons of salt and other crap on the driving surfaces in order to keep the roads "safe" for all of us. This should read "from the idiots with the really great tires, exceptional decision making and driving skillz). Since the idiot proof stuff corrodes big time My Boxster will yet again be stuck in the garage until it rains like crazy to wash the idiot proofing S41T off the road. So, here I am again paying particular attention to the weather... it's not looking very well... life really sucks right now... Time to move anywhere else but here...
alimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Though we've had pretty mild winters for the last several years, we did get some snow and the inevitable salt dousing that comes with it this winter.
However, I'm lucky in that I live on a horse shoe shaped development with cul-de-sacs on both ends (about 1/2 - 3/4 miles long). Our area gets plowed, but never salted, so I can drive some to keep things fresh.

70+ again tomorrow, but that just makes me very apprehensive about summer.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Toppy

Garage
Likely a couple more weeks before it comes off the blocks
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppy986 View Post
off the blocks
Seriously?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimar View Post
I'm envious of all y'all in fair weather areas for sure... I took my Boxster out twice over the last 2 weeks, short rides to/from work. Here in the North East we're experiencing, YET AGAIN for the 2nd year in a row now ultra cold and well below average temperatures for weeks and even months now. I'M REALLY TIRED OF IT and here, tomorrow it's expected to SN*W YET AGAIN, 2-5 Inches. This means the local and state transportation agencies (read "idiot proofers") will yet again drop tons of salt and other crap on the driving surfaces in order to keep the roads "safe" for all of us. This should read "from the idiots with the really great tires, exceptional decision making and driving skillz). Since the idiot proof stuff corrodes big time My Boxster will yet again be stuck in the garage until it rains like crazy to wash the idiot proofing S41T off the road. So, here I am again paying particular attention to the weather... it's not looking very well... life really sucks right now... Time to move anywhere else but here...
I always wash the car after slushy driving. I've driven through every winter for over a decade. The bottom of my car looks good. The bigger issue are the pot holes. That put the factory original suspension/engine mounts in the grave early.

but snow right about now is good. Washes away all the St. Patrick's day vomit and urine.

p.s.
globally, this was still one of the warmest winters on record. I heard a theory that climate change (be it man made or not) is collapsing the jet stream and causing colder air to make its way down to us with greater frequency during winter causing these 100+ inch snow falls in Boston. Which then results in more turbulent year round weather like for instance a hurricane the size of continental Europe in the middle of October wiping NJ/NY in 2012
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-20-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Toppy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Seriously?
Not really on blocks, just an expression. I do put 1" thick dense rubber under the wheels though, don't know if it helps, but I figure it can't hurt. Has to better for the tires than sitting on the concrete all winter.
Unlike you folks in Canada's warmest winter climate, we are heading back into minus temperatures next week. I don't think we will hit constant double digits until after Easter.

Jeff
Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

Garage
I ended up bringing the car from outside hibernation into my garage to do some clean up thinking the weather would get better... sadly it was -26C this morning. Need a few nice days to melt the snow and clean up the salt off the roads before I start driving daily. I noticed the car blows out white smoke from the tailpipe if the car sits for a long period of time. Also, when I rev the car up it seems to shake a little and sound a little like an old man with a smokers cough... lol Not sure how to describe it really. Maybe something loose on exhaust side of things? not sure...
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #11

Got mine out over the weekend. It was only 49 but I still rode with the top down. People thought I was crazy . . .

John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
2 fast 4 U

Still have mine up on Jack Stands trying to finish up the repairs that I wanted to do this winter. The weather really sucks here so I don't feel so bad.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
Got mine out over the weekend. It was only 49 but I still rode with the top down. People thought I was crazy . . .

Where did u get the rims? love them!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #14

still another week or two yet. My in-laws have a nice insulated shed in their back yard, but still too much snow in the yard to get her out. And now with the temp dropping again, it's just not melting fast enough!

Does this sense of anticipation and frustration ever wear off? Or do even the most veteran Porsche owners still wait with baited breath for the arrival of spring?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Does this sense of anticipation and frustration ever wear off?
Not really, but it can be managed.
Sit in your Boxster, turn the steering wheel aggressively and making screeching noises with the help of an adult beverage.
Trust me, this clinical treatment actually works.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #16

First day of spring

Well we got snow on the first day of spring, but I took mine out yesterday for a short ride around town. The top didn't come down but that is because it was only 48F and secondly I'm afraid the tear in the plastic window will get worst. I'm replacing the top w/the glass version for my 2002. Can't wait for warmer weather!

MytinyBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote