Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Do you put top up when parking at the grocery store, etc?

Not sure if putting the top and down over and over several times a day is a bad thing, but if it is, I wonder if it's generally safe to leave the top down when going to the grocery store, a restaurant, and so on. After all, bikers don't have a top to put up.

new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Never, people are too envious. They do stupid things like spit gum in the car, toss a lit cigarette in the car. At work I park my car in the "back 40" along with the rest that drive nice cars to avoid door dings. At the grocery store I park further out and behind a little island. The first time I drove the car to the grocery store I came out to find a shopping cart up against the front fender, dent and paint scratched.

People suck.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Never, people are too envious. They do stupid things like spit gum in the car, toss a lit cigarette in the car.
That's a good point that I didn't think about. I could see some d-bags who are thinking "f you Porsche guy!" and spit in it or throw trash in it.
new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

I just do not leave anything in the car I want stolen. Part of being a convertible and motorcycle owner here. Honestly I do not even lock the doors because it will just lead to damage to the vehicle from a thief. Nothing will stop anyone if they want something. All you can do is protect your valuables and not leave them in your car while you are not in it. If someone wants it they will get it so I do no give them a reason to break anything if they want it. I leave my top down a lot. Only problem I see with raising and lowering the top would be if you still have a plastic window and having to do the chop or risk cracking the plastic in colder weather by multiple opening and closing. One of the main reasons why I spent the extra money to replace my top with a glass unit.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

A lot would depend on WHERE you are leaving it. I'm in a small town and leave the top down all the time. I take my ipod with me and tuck the garage door opener out of sight. I don't keep anything in the trunk or frunk that I would miss.
My biggest fear is that a bird will fly overhead and leave me a present.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #6

Garage
I leave it retracted and as antny stated - no valuables - The area I live in does a hot car police decoy - this has really dropped the instances of theft and vandalism of nice vehicles.
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Garage
I personally leave the top down (if weather is fine) and put my windows up. I also use the 'Little Red Clip' so that if someone trys to reach into my car for some reason the alarm will go off. My brother learned this lesson as someone ended up cutting his roof just to get a little change from the glove box... ended up costing thousands for $2 of change... I learned from that, keep roof open and save yourself some problems. Thiefs are out there and if they want something they will take it.... leave nothing in view in your car and you should be good.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
A lot would depend on WHERE you are leaving it. I'm in a small town and leave the top down all the time. I take my ipod with me and tuck the garage door opener out of sight. I don't keep anything in the trunk or frunk that I would miss.
My biggest fear is that a bird will fly overhead and leave me a present.
That is true. I live in Oklahoma so most people don't even know what it is in the first place. I would not leave the top down in a rougher part of town but I am safe 95% of the time. I do get the point where people would throw stuff in the car but I all depends on your location.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nope. People everywhere can be jealous pricks. Eventually, someone will throw something or spit in it, etc.
I'm not worried about thieves, it's the vandals.
And yes, even small towns have them.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #10

It looks so right with the top down. Worth the risk.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Registered Boxster abuser

Wow, I guess I must be in a better part of town as my car would be considered just another old car. I guess I would be considered the low life with the oldest car in the parking lot.

At Walmart parking lot...

Second is the local starbucks....
Attached Images

Last edited by healthservices; 03-19-2015 at 11:07 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

Wow I would only put the top up for risk of a thief not a jackass that would spit in my car. I used to drive a pickup truck and people would throw their trash in the bed all the time. I always thought they did it because to them it felt less like littering than throwing it on the ground. I lived in the burbs and only put the top up when I go to the city.
Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #13

depending on the length of time I am away from the car will determine if the top goes up or stays down. generally, it will go up if I am away. if left in my driveway the top may stay down for hours on end, but with the amount of trees in new Orleans, you may consider putting it up. also at night in new Orleans during the summer you may also get the bonus of the flying cockroaches confusing it for a carrier flight deck, which may break your concentration while driving.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #14

Leave mine down all the time. Unless I expect weather (pretty rare in Phoenix) or I'm going to be gone for a long time I don't worry too much about it. Soft top isn't much of a deterrent if someone want in or cause damage.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Beginner

Garage
Many years ago I had a shiny new 300Z and saw a jerk push a shopping cart at the car, he looked up from the cart, saw me and chased the cart down before it hit the car. He didn't look like he had, or ever would have a nice shiny car and apparently figured no one else should either. He just turned and slunk away.
I would keep the top down just about anywhere with nothing in the car to steal, but I installed one of Fred's wind breakers in it, and since it says "PORSCHE" on it (and lights up!) I'm sure some fine gentleman would come long to remove it from the car for me. The top goes back up for the most part.

Last edited by Jamesp; 03-19-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #16

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I have parked at thrift stores, Walmart, you name it and have never had a problem
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:57 PM   #17

I put the top down in May and back up in November. If the weather's bad, she stays home.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Wow, I guess I must be in a better part of town as my car would be considered just another old car. I guess I would be considered the low life with the oldest car in the parking lot.

At Walmart parking lot...

Second is the local starbucks....
That is too funny. Around here a Porsche is a rare sight, except for the Cayenne. People stare at my car, people walking on the sidewalks even point at it lol. Going through a drive through and someone always says nice car!

I took my daughter to Kohls one day, she just needed to run in and out, so I stayed in the car. 3 girls are walking towards the car, starring at it, once they get to the car one girl sees the hood emblem and says ecstatically "It's a Porsche!".
Old 03-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #19

Those out-of-warranty Bentleys are being sold 2 for 1 nowadays.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Those out-of-warranty Bentleys are being sold 2 for 1 nowadays.
Kind of like the Lambos as it seems they made more of those than Honda Accords.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote