Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 AM   #21

bhduxbury...are you a lawyer? If not, I think you should be. I started playing IPOD theme music while reading your message. You made me proud.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #22

Over on another board someone called Dension, they were told that for now the MOST IceLink will only be available in Europe, in the US Dension will be selling an OEM version of the DICE MOST connector thing. No details on why, some speculation as to whether there is anything to stop a European IceLink working here but that, apparently, is the story so far.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
how's that phatbox (PHAT!) working out for you on the airplane? or on in the hotel room? or in the rental car? or on public transport? or at your friend's house? or on a walk or jog or at the gym? does it play the video from your latest track event so you can instantly show the guys at the bar or your extended family on a visit -- because you "just happen to have it" in your car or in your pocket? does it keep your contacts and calendar synced? what about your pictures? does it hook up to a tv, too, and do all of the above spur-of-the-moment style? and i'm sure it all is as easily organized and seamlessly integrated into your life with wide-ranging content as itunes and the itunes music store can make it. 40 whole gigs. wow. how much did it cost again?

// end of ipod-inspired rant -- no offense -- you obviously love your car solution.
Yeah, my cell phone does all that, just as well as the Ipod and it has a 2g SD card in it. So how clear are the phone calls on your Ipod? How many megapixil is it? lol..

Insert Owned picture here.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
well, i guess you didn't read my entire message, jim -- and if your cell phone is so PHAT why didn't you hook it up to your box? -- TWO whole gigs? -- must have a small music collection . . . . enjoy it (or what's left of it when you add some of your ultra-low-rez video content) while you are away from your car. :dance:
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #25

Ding Ding....Round 2.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
nah -- i know ipod love from box dudes is 999-to-one over the PHAT thing -- i will let jim have the last laugh on that issue, but i still would pay big bucks for the denison thing (i have a non-PHAT 987). keep me informed!
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #27

"i still would pay big bucks for the denison thing"

Well, it looks like on a relative basis, we Porsche owners will be paying the bigger bucks. In a shameful cut and paste from that other (lesser) Boxster board, I submit the following (originally courtesy of Boxsterbret).

Dension has announced that it will will be distributing DICE Electronics’ new iPod integration kits. DICE offers three kits—Hard-Wired to MOST, Hard-wired to CDC and Hard-Wired FM-RDS—which give you “the highest in sound quality, controls from your radio and steering wheel, charging for your iPod, unlimited playlist selections and more.” The MOST kit ($400) is for Mercedes Benz and Porsche vehicles vehicles utilizing the MOST fiber optic bus. The CDC kit (from $160; Audi, Acura, BMW, GM, Honda, Lexus, Mini, Mazda, Mercedes, Scion, Toyota and VW) allows you to connect an iPod to your vehicle’s factory entertainment system through the CD changer port. The FM-RDS kit (from $160) works with all vehicles with FM radio and a universal antenna port, and offers static free FM modulation. DICE is also selling an optional $60 iPod video cradle.

On a self-serving note, this helps to clear up my earlier confusion from several posts down.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #28

There's no way I'm going to buy the DICE integration kit - I'm going to order the real Dension unit from Europe.

I suspect that the DICE kit will be buggy whereas Dension Europe has been a MOST Cooperation member for years and has had access to much more information on the MOST bus.
rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
well, i guess you didn't read my entire message, jim -- and if your cell phone is so PHAT why didn't you hook it up to your box? -- TWO whole gigs? -- must have a small music collection . . . . enjoy it (or what's left of it when you add some of your ultra-low-rez video content) while you are away from your car. :dance:

Lol, get a life buddy. The phatbox is 140gb in my car. Your going on about the ipod like it's the greatest thing ever. Uhh welcome to 1990 cause it's basically like a portable cd player and now your pluging it into your car like people did with portable cd players when they couldn't put a real cd player in their car. Well an Ipod in a car is the same thing.

FOr 987 guys, they have no choice it will not work, For 986 messing with an ipod is stupid when the phatbox exists.

Your going on about how it's the best thing ever, all the things you listed and said it does, my cell phone does so whoptie do. I don't use it to play music because I don't use public transit, or have a need to watch video or tv like a geek while standing on the street corner..

Anyway whatever if you like your ipod then all the power to you use it and love it. You just wont catch me with a 2006 rendition of a 1990 cd player in my car hooked with with a bunch of wires into the dash lol. Gheto fabulous..
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #30

Well, there is a SMALL difference between the way these kits integrate and the way the old portable CD player deal used to work.

1. Hard-wired install, no junk hanging out of the dash/cassette player/cigarette lighter.
2. Factory volume/track controls work, as if controlling a CD changer.
3. The iPod connector is stowed in the glovebox or armrest--you clip the iPod in and stow it out of sight.

Many people will chose to install these in this manner and never remove the iPod from the car again.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #31

This is confusing, so here is a summary of what I've found...

The phatbox supports the Porsche CDR220 head unit, but does not mention the CDR32.
http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/pn_phatbox.php?selectedMake=Porsche

The DICE unit has no compatibility information:
http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_connections.htm

Dension’s ice>Link Plus only supports pre-2003 CDR22 units:
http://www.dension.com/icelink_info.htm

Dension’s claims their ice>Link Gateway 500 will be available for Porsches at the "end of June". It has a MOST fiber-optic interface, but it does not mention which specific head units this will support.
http://support.dension.com/dension/icelinkgateway500.php

There is a rumor that someone (Becker? They make the head units) is working on an iPod interface for the CDR23, to be available "in the next few months":
http://www.beckerautosound.com/beckerboard/viewtopic.php?t=8
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #32

I called Becker last September and they told me this summer.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk