Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #1

Automatic top chop?

I have a plastic window on my top, and I am tired of getting out of the car to 'chop' it. Am considering the glass window upgrade but would rather not lose engine access with 3 bow top frame.

I wonder if there is a way to make the window automatically fold properly when putting the top down. Wouldn't some strategically placed elastic cords pull the window to form the proper crease?

My thought is to somehow anchor some elastic cords (bungees perhaps) on either side of the window (on top fabric) where it folds. The other end of the bungee would be attached within the well that holds the top, forward of the window, pulling down and outboard in a manner that facilitates the fold. Looks like there is plenty of room for small bungees when the top is down, and when down the bungee tension would be reduced. Only need enough bungee tension to initiate the plastic window fold.

Does this make sense? Has anyone tried some way to eliminate the boxster chop?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 02-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
How would you lose engine acess? I have a glass window and have no problems getting into the engine bay
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #3

I meant limited access with 3 bow top, glass window upgrade.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

I never did the chop. Plastic was crystal clear until I had an incident with some ice and had to replace.

If you give it time, it will form a natural bend in the right spot. You just have to do it slowly at first so that you can see that bend is clean.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Garage
Feel the same about the chop, PITA
I will someday go to glass not to just eliminate the chop but extend colder weather top down option
I thought the same solution. Some type o elastic cords attached where the fold should be to pull the fold in lowering the top. Not sure how one would attach to the fabric strong enough to work

My top will not fold cleanly unless I do the chop. It will always try to create a vertical crease first. Maybe that is memory from PO or initially before I did the chop
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

I am about to go to glass here any minute. After reading the DIY threads I think I can conquer this one on my own. I can replace a Miata top in an hour after doing three of them which I a hell of a lot easier than the box.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #7

I think I'm going to sneak up to Nanaimo one night and swap my plastic window top for Fintro11's 4-bow glass top. He'll never notice...
Old 02-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
I think I'm going to sneak up to Nanaimo one night and swap my plastic window top for Fintro11's 4-bow glass top. He'll never notice...
Bring a friend. It's a two person job if you want to get out there fast.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #9

The stitching had come loose along the seam of mine before I knew about all this crazy chopping. I held it togeter with some of that "household goop" glue from the depot for two years. Then my wife and I forgot to chop on the way to the movies one night and I ended up with a crack in the plastic.

Long story longer; we drove around with an awesome piece of tape for a few weeks before an installer was available to put on our new top with the glass window and defroster. It's sooooo much nicer and now chopping is a distant memory.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Last summer, I let mine sit in the garage for a few days with the top in the down position (I don't usually do this).
Ever since, it has folded correctly every time.

I haven't had the top down since autumn, so I'm not sure if it stayed "trained".
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

I've never had to do the boxster chop - and I regularly leave mine down for several days at a time without raising it. Maybe you're on to the best solution, Particlewave.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

I think part of my problem is that PO had a replacement window sewn in by Dr Frankenstein. Plastic from original window still in seam, very stiff and awkward fold. Ideally I will get a glass window for my 3 bow top frame. My research and discussion with a couple of Porsche mechanics leads me away from this option because of limited access to top of the engine. I have seen pictures showing glass window laying flat, i.e. perpendicular to roll hoops, greatly reducing access. Mechanic said the glass upgrades are a pain and entire roof needs to be removed sometimes, he advised against it. Of course a glass window would be ideal for several reasons, engine access notwithstanding. My 'auto-chop' thought comes from desire to make a plastic window work.

Anybody with glass window on 3 bow frame have pictures of engine access? I have seen plenty showing varying levels of access to engine, I have to wonder if there are older versions of glass window roof...however sounds like many of you have no issue with plastic window folding properly...

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #13

Let's say the tech has to remove your top to access the motor because you have a glass window replacement top.

The removal of these four bolts requires $50 in labor charges.

How often does a tech have to get to the top of your motor and needs full access? Rarely.

I think the aftermarket glass top replacements are worth the money saved over finding the elusive 4 bow assembly off a wrecked car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #14

5 yrs of ownership and never did the chop. Original top.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Randall,

You make a strong case for glass! Understand that removing the top assembly is simple. I will speak with the tech. I trust the tech, he has been very up front with me and I value his opinion. I am also thinking about work I plan to do - cleaning throttle bodies, upgrading air intake, etc. It is a big investment and I want to get it right.

Time to go back to autotopsdirect website!

Gary
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #16

Garage
I had the original plastic top on my car for a few years and I did the chop when it was convenient. What I noticed was that it would fold correctly on its own when it was warm outside, but not when it was cooler. I did have mine crack in about 40deg F weather and had a new plastic window sewn in. I'm sure it would not have cracked if I hadn't tried to put it down at that temp.
Eventually I found a 2004 OEM top/frame for sale and did the swap. It is the best solution if you can find one!

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote