Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

What option would you not skimp out on?

As I'm looking for used Boxsters as a first-time buyer, I come across some that have Bixenon lights, some that don't, some that have windstops, some that don't. Bose, power seats, S vs. Base, the exterior color I love versus one I can live with, and so on.

What has mattered a lot, or least, to you in your Boxster ownership?

new2bxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

personally, i like the tees option the best.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
One with a top that has a glass rear window with defrost. S over the base was a must for me too.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
If I was to buy another Boxster I would go with an S model for sure. The wind stop is useless in my opinion, but many people seem to like them. Glass window top is another nice option. Full leather interior makes for a nice upgrade as well. Good luck in your search.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Garage
If I could go back in time.. I'd spring for an S. But, sometimes less is more
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

For me the options of value are the M030 suspension and it has to be an S. If you can get the hardtop with the car that's nice option. Buying it separately is pricey as they are uncommon.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Garage
Yellow stitching and supple leather!

Kidding aside, litronics really do make a huge difference, slightly morbid but they will really help out on totaling out your car in the case of an accident, preventing you from having to drive around a half done rebuilt boxster.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

Depends a lot on how/where you will be driving it. Me, I only drive it on days I can put the top down, so the glass/plastic window makes no difference.
Yes, the S has more power - but the base still has tons, don't let anyone tell you different.
For me - having the BOSE upgraded system is key. I hear lots of complaints about the stereo, but the BOSE surround and amp is a very good system. Cruising around with the top down and the music up is awesome.
Oh - and the Windstop that Nine8six makes is amazing and a must for the cool factor alone! But that's an aftermarket upgrade.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

Litronics since halogens that are not yellowed / burned are hard to find, and they look way better.

Sport Design interior looks quite a bit nicer and more modern than base in the earlier cars
'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Get the S, everything else will fall into place.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

1. S model
2. Cruise control
3. Hard top
4. Litronic headlights
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
no need for power seats
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #13

After more than 2 years of looking into the idea (studying the market and local availability for the S model 2000-2004), I decided to take the plunge and go ahead and buy one. At that point I limited my search to a 2003 or 2004 S (I thought the glass rear window was worth having.)

I was very particular about my personal color choice, Seal Grey being number 1, Polar or Arctic Silver being tolerable 2nd choices. I definitely ruled out Black interior and top. Those criteria limited the available vehicles significantly, so I figured I'd settle for whatever options the car that met my other requirements came with. I ended up last October finding a 2003 S in Seal Grey, Graphite Grey interior and top with 81000 miles. It came through the PPI nicely. The dealer took care of several minor maintenance things that came up in the PPI, and I bought the car, flew up the next week and drove it 280 miles home.

It wasn't highly optioned like some, but the options it did have were nice ones in my opinion. The Xenon headlamp package, P74; the power seat package with memory, P15; the Hi-Fi digital sound, 490; Windstop, 551; and Wheel Caps with Colored Crest, 446; all very nice to have. I installed the rear speaker kit shortly after I got the car home, and the factory stereo sounds great to me.

Again, the initial thing that pinned it down for me was limiting the choice to an '03 or '04 S with the above mentioned color scheme. I also had a maximum budget which I stuck with.

Anyway, it took a while to find, but I got a car that I'm really happy with so far.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #14

Garage
It is important to note that most S cars come with a bit of kit.

As for cruise control as an option, I have never used it and have never seen anyone else use it. Maybe it's just not a southern thing?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post

As for cruise control as an option, I have never used it and have never seen anyone else use it. Maybe it's just not a southern thing?
Just for reference, how many trips across state-lines or vacations away from home have you taken your car(s) on? Seriously, cruise control is wonderful provided you take long trips/vacations or drive extended periods of time - or if you commute for work and drive on highways for extended periods of time... You take long trips, don't you Jake? Not a school night, of course.

I do like the Xenon, and more generally 987+, but that's my taste. Preference aside, I think I agree with most by saying test drive as many as you can and see the options for yourself, and get the best car available at the price point you want. And, don't skip on a PPI - if it is something you can get without too much hassle.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Just for reference, how many trips across state-lines or vacations away from home have you taken your car(s) on? Seriously, cruise control is wonderful provided you take long trips/vacations or drive extended periods of time - or if you commute for work and drive on highways for extended periods of time... You take long trips, don't you Jake? Not a school night, of course.

I do like the Xenon, and more generally 987+, but that's my taste. Preference aside, I think I agree with most by saying test drive as many as you can and see the options for yourself, and get the best car available at the price point you want. And, don't skip on a PPI - if it is something you can get without too much hassle.
Yes - I love my cruise! Vital option for me - but again, depends on how you drive.

+1 on the PPI. It can never be said enough. These are 10-14 year old cars and can be quite costly to repair. Having at least some idea what you are getting into with a thorough PPI is crucial to your cost/enjoyment experience.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Litronics
Cruise Control (yes, I use mine)
Glass rear window
M030
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #18

Heated seats! Wife would never let the top down without them.
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

1. Heated seats
2. Heated seats
3. Heated seats

Also the all-leather interior. It's a night and day difference between the plastic interior IMHO.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #20

I have a 2000 S bought in June 2014 with 10,800 miles (!) Arctic Silver, black leather interior. I put 4000 miles on it from June to early November.

I never drove a base but I am very pleased with the performance of the S and think I would find the base underwhelming if I compared the two models.

Love the windstop

Don't mind the plastic window

Don't have heated seats and, since I store the car in winter don't miss them

Very much miss cruise control, I've do a lot of freeway miles and would drive the boxster more if I had that option.

Don't have any cosmetic or audio upgrades and don't miss them, rarely listen to the stereo except on long, dull rides and I don't have cruise control so I take the car with cruise and a good stereo then.

Larry
The Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote