Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
1997 Porsche Boxster Red

Question How to get Windstop when option wasn't originally purchased

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I just bought my first ever Porsche. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. It's red and looks almost new. I'm only the second owner. Now the original owner didn't buy the Windstop option (wind deflector, windscreen). But when I drive top down about 40 mph +, the turbulence is such that it's not a pleasant ride. I want to get the full windstop option. But I don't necessarily want to pay the outrageous price from Porsche dealer for it either.

Any ideas about this? Note that I do not have a frame as option never selected. So I cannot just buy a glass from a 3rd party website. Also, I would like the outer parts that go behind the headrests.

Please let me know. Thank you so much in advance. I'm in Los Angeles.
Great to be part of this Forum. And I'm super excited about my new baby

Last edited by RedC; 02-18-2015 at 11:59 AM.
RedC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

You can buy the pieces from a stealership and drill holes in your rollbar and use a rivet to secure the pieces and voila! you have a factory looking center windscreen.

Call Sunset Imports in Oregon. Their prices are good for out of state purchasers.

I'd buy the actual windscreen and rollbar inserts used off fleaBay if I were you. They're awfully expensive from the stealership's parts counter.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
You can buy the pieces from a stealership and drill holes in your rollbar and use a rivet to secure the pieces and voila! you have a factory looking center windscreen.

Call Sunset Imports in Oregon. Their prices are good for out of state purchasers.

I'd buy the actual windscreen and rollbar inserts used off fleaBay if I were you. They're awfully expensive from the stealership's parts counter.
I bought a used wind deflector from a Porsche scrap yard. The frame needed the fastening levers replaced, and the perplex was scratched so I ordered a replacement off of ebay. The rollbars have the holes already drilled, at least mine did, and it was pretty easy to install. You just need to buy a cheap rivet gun. There's loads of posts about the installation on this forum. All up it cost me about $300 Australian. It's well worth it.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

Garage
Hmm. I assumed this was a standard item on Boxsters. Should have been, anyway.

Tags
boxster 986 , wind deflector , windscreen , windstop