Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Is hard top good to have?

Guys,

My plastic rear window is developing a crack which led me to think about tops. I am interested in a hardtop for my 986S.

It seems like a good thing to have for occasional track use - having a rag top on the track makes me a little nervous - and I think the hard top looks cool. However there is no denying the awesomeness of top down - driving Boxster topless is very close to riding a motorcycle.

Any of you guys out there with hardtops? Are they useful and recommended, or just take up space in your garage?

Thanks,

Gary

Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

I have hard tops for my cars and really enjoy them. They give the car a totally different look.

As far as track use, they won't give you any real protection. There's not much to them structurally. I use a Brey-Krause rollbar extension on both my hard top cars for a little extra protection. Roll Bar Extension for 986 Boxster

If you can find a top, grab it. I usually see them in the $800-1500 range.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Red - thanks. How often do you use your top? I will look into the BK extension, much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymanwatchthis View Post
Guys,

My plastic rear window is developing a crack which led me to think about tops. I am interested in a hardtop for my 986S.

It seems like a good thing to have for occasional track use - having a rag top on the track makes me a little nervous - and I think the hard top looks cool. However there is no denying the awesomeness of top down - driving Boxster topless is very close to riding a motorcycle.

Any of you guys out there with hardtops? Are they useful and recommended, or just take up space in your garage?

Thanks,

Gary

I had one for my 996 and never put it on. The convertible top is so good I never wanted to go to the trouble of installing it. Besides if it is 40+ degrees and not raining the top needs to be down.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

I'm just the opposite of mountainman. I bought a hard top almost 2 years ago and have never taken it off, although at around 50 lbs. it's an easy 5 minute job for 2 people. It's cooler in the summer (I don't like getting baked by the high altitude summer sun where I live), warmer in the winter, I don't feel like I have to put the top up every time I park to go into a store, it's considerably quieter, and it seems to make the car feel more solid (my imagination?). I also think it makes the car look better. I've posted pics of it a few times but I'll post some again.

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The hardtop is 55 pounds, and made mostly of aluminum. One person could take it on/off if they where not so large and awkward to carry. You definitely need two people to take it on/off w/o a ceiling mounted winch system.

I love my hardtop and it stays on most of the year. The hardtop does not add any safety, but it does make the car much, much quieter. I try to take it off at least long enough to recondition the rubber seals every few months with Gummi Pflege.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

Garage
Easy to use and store, great for when it's too hot or too cold. Windows down with hardtop on is great with little noise other than engine making its way in! I would suggest for anyone with a plastic rear window.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #8

Garage

Ignore the fact that this is a selfie, it's the best photo I have of the lines and such. The two tone looks good and warrants lots of questions.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks,

Gary
I see you are in Asheville.I live just down the road in Marion.As for the hardtop,I love mine.When the weather gets cold I put on the hardtop until it starts to get warm again then the top comes off.I put a overhead winch in the garage so taking off the top by myself takes about 5 minutes and about 10 minutes to install by myself.I f you are interested there is a Boxster in Shelby in a strip yard with a hardtop and he is asking $1000 for the top.It is located at Autoparts of Shelby.They have a website if you are interested.Do you ever attend the Porsche meetings at Harmony Motors?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #10

Love mine and can highly recommend it. Great for the hot Phoenix Summers. Adding tint adds to the look and further helps with heat.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

Rooster - that is a top I am considering. Are the guys in Shelby good to work with?

We should get together for a drive especially with Mountainman - he knows all roads around here very well!

I have been to a couple of meetings at Harmony - have a couple of young boys so spare time is hard to come by !
Old 02-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #12

Jake - thanks - I would probably have a black top with my white car. Have you considerd plasti-dip your wheels to match the top, that would look great. Plasti-dip is easy and reversible. By the way I see you are in Greenville - we should get local forum members together for a drive.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #13

Thanks everybody for the feedback and pictures. Hardtop sure does add to the look of the car.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Jake - thanks - I would probably have a black top with my white car. Have you considerd plasti-dip your wheels to match the top, that would look great. Plasti-dip is easy and reversible. By the way I see you are in Greenville - we should get local forum members together for a drive.

Western carolinas are some of the best roads! I haven't considered plastidip as the turbo twist just have such a good natural shine. But I think painting my rear views black would match nice!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #15

If you buy the top from the breaker, ask if they can also give you the spin locks as part of the deal. I haven't checked prices lately, but I think they are up around $100 which is ridiculous for a couple of pieces of metal and two screws.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:27 AM   #16

Another great thing about the hard top-----BIG rear window!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #17

I drive mine all year round in Canada. Nuff said.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #18

NOt to make anyone mad, but I have to ask, Why did you buy a convertible if you like to basically keep a hard top in place most of the year?

I pretty much only drive the car if I can drive it with the lid off. That's why God created convertibles, to drive with the lid removed.

If it's too hot, it stays in the garage, if it is too cold it stays in the garage. Okay I live in California and that means 9 (or 10) months of the year the conditions are perfect to be topless.

To each his own, if you like to have a convertible just to make it into a hardtop, more power to you. However, I don't get it.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
NOt to make anyone mad, but I have to ask, Why did you buy a convertible if you like to basically keep a hard top in place most of the year?

I pretty much only drive the car if I can drive it with the lid off. That's why God created convertibles, to drive with the lid removed.

If it's too hot, it stays in the garage, if it is too cold it stays in the garage. Okay I live in California and that means 9 (or 10) months of the year the conditions are perfect to be topless.

To each his own, if you like to have a convertible just to make it into a hardtop, more power to you. However, I don't get it.
I definitely use the convertible top but for me it's not a big deal. For me it was about getting a mid-engined Porsche and until 2006 a hardtop version, the Cayman, was not available. My next Porsche will be a Cayman. Now if I could get a Caymen with Carrera level power that would be the ticket and from what it looks of it Porsche has answered that with the GTS and GT4.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post

You aren't making anyone mad, but let me try to explain it to you. I wanted a Boxster. They only come with a convertible top, which I don't really care for. When I want wind I go sailing. But there is a simple solution, which also makes the car quieter, more comfortable, and better looking (IMHO). You can get a hard top, so I did and I love it. Get it ?

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote