Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
What do you think about having the lug holes redrilled to accept Porsche lug bolts?
NO you can't just drill them. You'd need to probe the center of the hub first and then find the exact PCD location. Just a 0.2mm offset and you'll be compromising the integrity of the wheel when torqued to spec (the wheel will twist). Only an experienced machinist with digital probing can run that R14 ball endmill safely in there for you.

You do realize that the cone shape lug bolts are also designed to center your wheel. At least they help for the initial hub concentricity before you torque them on. Porsche cheap "cast wheels" aren't necessarily the best one out there mate (they change shape overtime, expand, twist, etc etc....). Ball seating is ideal in these circumstances. That's all what that ball thingy does really

Yours are NEW wheels so I bet they are straight anyway. Go Go cone/tapered lug bolts no worries I'd say

I like your five spokes wheels, I'd just weld them permanently onto my car if they were in my hands LOL

Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #22

deleted dbl post.... got the click click this morning lol
Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #23
Need For Speed

Garage
I in my PayPal dispute I offered 1010tires.com the chance to refund me $100 to purchase new lug bolts, they denied the offer.

PayPal asked me to take the wheels to a professional 3rd party installer and have them state why I can not install the wheels with Porsche lug bolts. So I did this and PayPal found the dispute in my favor and the wheels are on their way back to 1010wheels.com for a full refund.

Last edited by KRAM36; 02-13-2015 at 02:14 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #24

Congrats on that working in your favor, I bought some expensive wheels back in the day that were listed as "Brand new, never mounted" and he obviously posted fake pics. I got them and they were sand blasted and hit with what looked to be 80 grit sandpaper, they were basically destroyed and I paid a premium for them. Filed a complaint and PayPal just said "condition is a matter of opinion, we can't help you unless you recieved something completely different (like a brick instead of your wheels)".
Dzl210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #25
Need For Speed

Garage
Strange, I filed my dispute as "Not as described".

While on the phone with PayPal agent, the person went through the exact purchasing procedure and never was it mentioned that you could not use Porsche factory floating ball seat lug bots nor did it offer her a chance to buy a "wheel kit". I think 1010tires.com refusal on the $100 for me to get lug bolts that would have worked kinda set the tone for PayPal to say, take your wheels back then and he gets a full refund.

1010tires.com probably figured I would have had to pay to ship the wheels back and just keep them, but I'm tight with my UPS driver, called him and he came by the house and sent them back as refused.

I still don't get when they had to cut these wheels for a Porsche, they didn't cut the log holes for Porsche lug bolts. Plus the exposed metal after the lug hole cut they did and not painting the exposed metal is terrible work to me. I'm glad to see these wheels gone and will make sure the next set will be manufactured to accept Porsche lug bolts.