Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Garage
porsche emergency kit...what do you carry?

Having had Porsches and tons of other sports cars over the years I have learned by experience to always carry tools and emergency parts when I travel long distances from home. Over the last few years we have frequently done 2K to 6K mile trips and even with the increased reliability of Porsche I still carry a kit with a water pump, thermostat, gaskets, a couple of common relays, fuses , tire plug kit, and serpentine belt. I have now added an ignition switch. And of course the tools to change each.
I would be interested in hearing what others have found useful on the road.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I travel light. Very light.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
Beginner

Garage
Much like thstone, AAA card and a credit card, a spare tire with the factory tools. I do carry a small set of jumper cables but that's intended for others.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never been stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I like to be prepared. If you take care of these cars they are very reliable, so I am more focused on the being able to deal with a flat tire and basic survival stuff. I would rather call AAA than try to change a water pump on the side of the road.

Among many other things, I carry: lug wrench, crescent wrench, screwdriver, pliers, extra fuses, gloves, mini air compressor, tire gauge, jumper cables, first aid kit, swiss army knife, flares, a blanket, and snow chains in the winter.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Same as thstone and Jamesp. While not the most durable cars if maintained properly they are reliable.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

A very large survival knife, very bright flashlight, large Leatherman multi tool, and a high-capacity .45 auto.

No spare. No jack.

I carry more on longer trips.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Every vehicle we use has a version of this with a few decent quality hand tools added to it:

Justin Case Premium Travel Pro Auto Safety Kit - Walmart.com

One of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034--T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_1/191-6774465-4709564?ie=UTF8&qid=1422221679&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+plug+kit

That plug kit has saved my bacon several times.

Large Roll of Duct tape, Heavy Wool Blanket, wind-up flashlight and a Multi-use tool / Leatherman knock off. Usually a used serpentine belt also.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Garage
A bottle of wine with cork puller and glasses, some cheese and bread and a blanket with lawn chair so I have something to do while I wait for roadside service to arrive.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Garage
Maybe I'm being over cautious, but besides the usual emergency tools, I carry a new nicely folded small tarp and bungee cords in the event that I can't get my top back up, and it rains.
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Garage
Jump 'n Carry 660 portable jump starter, factory tool kit, extra set of metric wrenches, serpentine belt, ignition switch and small screwdriver, AAA card, credit card, flashlight, extra fuses and bulbs, GPS.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4two View Post
Maybe I'm being over cautious, but besides the usual emergency tools, I carry a new nicely folded small tarp and bungee cords in the event that I can't get my top back up, and it rains.
This is genius.

To the serp belt guys, do you carry a 21mm socket & breaker bar?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
This is genius.

I have an old one-inch box end wrench and an a/c delete belt that I bought by accident. Adding the tarp. I suppose the tarp is not suitable for highway use.

Last edited by 78F350; 01-27-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: correction
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #13

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Having had Porsches and tons of other sports cars over the years I have learned by experience to always carry tools and emergency parts when I travel long distances from home. Over the last few years we have frequently done 2K to 6K mile trips and even with the increased reliability of Porsche I still carry a kit with a water pump, thermostat, gaskets, a couple of common relays, fuses , tire plug kit, and serpentine belt. I have now added an ignition switch. And of course the tools to change each.
I would be interested in hearing what others have found useful on the road.
you must be single? I removed my spare tire so my wife had more room in the trunk for the **************** she buys lol

Visa and BCAA card is all I need
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Yes. I bought a large 21mm/24mm box wrench for this specific job, and it's in the car.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #15

Garage
Has anybody here ever used the jumper cables for their Boxster any other place than their garage? Or a screwdriver?

I second the wine and glasses, Luv2Box!

The different countries here in Europe mandate you carry different obligatory accessories like reflective vest, warning triangle, fire extinguisher, bulbs, fuses, first aid kit.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

I was going to say "My AAA card" but half a dozen people beat me to it.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #17

2 cans of Fix a flat.The extra is in case the first is defective.They make it now in a tire pressure sensor safe version.Not a problem for my Box as it is a year 2000.

If is is real cold outside,the pressure in the container is inadequate;so I CAREFULLY monitor the time when I place it near the engine area to heat it up for a few minutes.

The stuff will save your butt as long as the tire is not too wrecked.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I have never been stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I like to be prepared. If you take care of these cars they are very reliable, so I am more focused on the being able to deal with a flat tire and basic survival stuff. I would rather call AAA than try to change a water pump on the side of the road.

Among many other things, I carry: lug wrench, crescent wrench, screwdriver, pliers, extra fuses, gloves, mini air compressor, tire gauge, jumper cables, first aid kit, swiss army knife, flares, a blanket, and snow chains in the winter.
I never even contemplated changing a waterpump on the side of the road, but having one with me gives me the option of renting someone's lift for a few hours and changing it or paying him to do it while I watch. After all, it isn't rocket science.
Our travels are not not centered around big cities and we may do thousands of miles without getting close to one. Try finding a Porsche dealer in Colorado or western Kansas.
A case in point is last week we were traveling with another couple who have a boxster when the tiptronic went into emergency mode. It was a weekend and the closest Porsche dealer was over 3 hours away. We could have called AAA and had it towed to the dealership and rented a car for the 2 or 3 days. Instead, I have a duremetric pro and it took less than 15 minutes to hook it up, find the fault and clear it. Drove it a bit and rechecked it and all was fine. Last year on the fall tour another couple had the same thing happen and they called AAA had it towed to the dealership and guess what they did..... cleared the fault, charged them almost $200 and sent them on their way. And they missed an event they had paid for and were looking forward to.
In less than 30 minutes I can change a belt, relay, fuse. In an hour I can change the ignition switch or a headlight switch. And if I can get to any garage with a lift a waterpump and thermostat takes 2.5 hours. And that is why I try to carry emergency parts even though I rarely need them. I also have 3 Porsches and many parts fit at least 2 of them and some all 3 so I will eventually need those parts in the emergency kit for routine maintenance.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #19

Garage
Last long trip 2000+ miles I bought and carried with me a new AOS with cable clamp pliers.
Gave me something to think about - how I would change that on the side of the road on a hot engine

Along with Belt, sockets, breaker bar, Can of Fix-o-Flat, fuses, Fuel pump relay, gal. distilled water, quart of oil
Even for short trips 100-200 miles I carry some tools, water and always a fully charged flashlight

I always carry a piece of wood with me to knock on

Next long trip I'm adding the bottle of wine, cheese /crackers so I can relax a bit, let things cool down before working on the road side repairs

I figure if I have it, it won't break.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

1. Two cans of flax fix. Have never used this product on the 986 though.
2. electric air pump.
3. Cobra battery jump start pack. Highly rated on Amazon will start an SUV. Fits in rear shelf cubby. Can charge cell phone.
4. X type lug wrench.
5. LOL 10 qts of oil, wrench and spare filter. Stupid but Boxster has so much space. I need to take that out.
6. waterproof packable ski jacket.
7. Usually distilled water jug.
8. utility knife and scissors.
9. antacid and advil.
10. fuse kit stashed in spare tire.
11. I had one of those tire plug kits, lost track of it. Need to replace.

I only drive weekends but it's usually hour plus drives. Friends live in the boonies or in the seaside communities.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-26-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote