Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Garage
What are the Big Trips planned for this year

Next Big Trip - Kind of a repeat

Last spring I did a 2000+ mile trip. NJ down to Daytona Beach Fl to visit my Father and Brother.
On the way back I drove across GA to do a South to North Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive
First day was rainy, second day cold but sunny. I really enjoyed it and want to do it in better weather

So for this spring I'm thinking a return but going North to South and include the Dragons Tail at the end
I may even come back up some of the Parkway on the way home

This time I can pick the best weather window and camp instead of expensive hotels

I'm also toying with driving up to Watkins Glen to watch some racing

What trips do you all have in the back of your minds for this year?

Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #2

Very cool. You should drive out to the left coast for the Rennsport Reunion in October.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #3

This will be my first summer with the Boxster. I plan on doing a big Colorado loop on some nice mountain roads. Probably up and over Trail Ridge road and then down to Lake City and then around to Pagosa Springs. Out to Sand Dunes and then back to Northern Colorado.
I'm also planning some bucket list items. I'm going to Road Atlanta for the Classic Car Races in the spring and the Petit Lemans in the fall. Watkins Glen in the summer and Miller Motorsports park south of Salt Lake for the Super Car Challenge series. Should be a good time!
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

24 hr race tomorrow unfortunatly only an hour and half boring drive for me. Sebring will be a 4 hour drive that I will take the longer way through central fl. parks and such we can go a little faster unless my son is present then it stays 100 p car spedo time which is actually 96? How bout a speedometer conversation, anyone? haha oil, tires, internet rules rules?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Very cool. You should drive out to the left coast for the Rennsport Reunion in October.

I may drive up for this like I did Rennsport Reunion IV, gotta find somewhere else to stay, seen Cannery Row enough for a while.

Also making a baseball pilgramage sometime to St.Louis & Wrigly Field &/or considering doing a tour of the New England area ballparks/Hall of fame.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

Heading down through France into Italy and Lake Garda for 25th wedding anniversary.
andys320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #7

Garage
Porsche parade in French lick (2500 Mi). New Orleans (2000 mi). Herrman, Mo, Porsche escape in black hills, on to Yellowstone, down to hill country, tx, over to Louisana for the angola prison rodeo, Memphis for ribs at the rendezvous and back home ( 6500 mi). Many 500 t0 800 mile jaunts. Total for the year around 40,000 is typical.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Porsche parade in French lick (2500 Mi). New Orleans (2000 mi). Herrman, Mo, Porsche escape in black hills, on to Yellowstone, down to hill country, tx, over to Louisana for the angola prison rodeo, Memphis for ribs at the rendezvous and back home ( 6500 mi). Many 500 t0 800 mile jaunts. Total for the year around 40,000 is typical.
You know Rendezvous will FedEx ribs to you!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I plan to drive from LA to Laguna Seca (300 miles each way) for the PCA Club Race in the Spec Boxster (no heat, no a/c, no windows, 500lb springs, r-comp tires).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Doing Goodwood FOS again this year, would really like to venture into Europe more and do the F1 Spa weekend but events are too close together for my wallet
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

Garage
Last summer I did 6177 km (3838 miles) from Krakow, Poland, through Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, and Germany. It was an amazing trip.

In late spring, I expect to have some work in Norway and am planning to drive there. I'll be going through Germany, Denmark, and Sweden. Might take the ferry one way and bridge the other. It's over 2000 miles round-trip and if anyone wants to join me (in the car or their own) along the way, they're very welcome.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Badlands Tour

Living in Winnipeg means I only get to use my Boxster less than 6 months a year so I am planning to do an excursions as soon as the snow is gone. Looking to venture the back roads between here, the Black Hills and the Montana badlands.

I've never seen Mount Rushmore or the Crazy Horse Monument so this is the year.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Living in Winnipeg means I only get to use my Boxster less than 6 months a year so I am planning to do an excursions as soon as the snow is gone. Looking to venture the back roads between here, the Black Hills and the Montana badlands.

I've never seen Mount Rushmore or the Crazy Horse Monument so this is the year.
You will like that trip. Beautiful country! Make sure you hit Custer National park.
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
You know Rendezvous will FedEx ribs to you!
Need a night at the Peabody and a trip down beale street anyway
Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

My brother and I are looking for an interesting DE. We're thinking COTA. Looking at YouTube, it's a rather fast track - 125 on the main straight & 135 on the back straight in a Cayman R. Plus plenty of fast corners.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 AM   #16

Don't forget to come out to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - our regional Porsche Club's biggest event each year. There are hundreds of p-car enthusiasts that gather on the lawn at Schenley Park to enjoy our cars and the races.
The PVGP takes place in scenic Schenley Park in the heart of Pittsburgh. This is one of 2 vintage races that occur on public streets in the world, the other being Monaco. It is also a significant charity fundraiser.

We do cool things for those who attend, like the Top 10 Peoples’ Choice, a concours open to all registered Porsches. Here are the highlights of the activities to enjoy:

Friday, July 17:

• Weekend kick-off at the Double Wide restaurant in Cranberry Township PA – our local Club (ARPCA) will host the out of town clubs travelling to participate in the PVGP. This will be our third annual hosting. There will be plenty of good cheer, at a venue right next to the hotels (where we get club discounts arranged) and turnpike just North of the City. It will also include a nice impromptu gathering of Porsches of all varieties. All local and distant Porsches welcome. Start at 5 pm to ?

Saturday, July 18th:

• International Car Show on the Golf Course – over 2000 cars on display (Fiat is PVGP Marque for 2015)
• ARPCA Catered Tailgate Party (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Top 10 Peoples’ Choice Concours (open to all Porsches registered through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Door prizes
• Vintage Racing Time Trails (come see many classic and vintage Porsches and othe great marques participating in the races throughout Schenley Park.)

Sunday, July 19th:

• Porsche Car Show
• ARPCA Catered Picnic (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Vintage Car Races

There will be info on our club website, ARPCA.com in a month or so. You can send me a pm if you want more info now. I'll be sending a blast on this out to the various PCA regions nearby. We ussually get a lot of out of towners for this.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster

Last edited by linderpat; 01-24-2015 at 04:21 AM.
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
Don't forget to come out to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix - our regional Porsche Club's biggest event each year. There are hundreds of p-car enthusiasts that gather on the lawn at Schenley Park to enjoy our cars and the races.
The PVGP takes place in scenic Schenley Park in the heart of Pittsburgh. This is one of 2 vintage races that occur on public streets in the world, the other being Monaco. It is also a significant charity fundraiser.

We do cool things for those who attend, like the Top 10 Peoples’ Choice, a concours open to all registered Porsches. Here are the highlights of the activities to enjoy:

Friday, July 17:

• Weekend kick-off at the Double Wide restaurant in Cranberry Township PA – our local Club (ARPCA) will host the out of town clubs travelling to participate in the PVGP. This will be our third annual hosting. There will be plenty of good cheer, at a venue right next to the hotels (where we get club discounts arranged) and turnpike just North of the City. It will also include a nice impromptu gathering of Porsches of all varieties. All local and distant Porsches welcome. Start at 5 pm to ?

Saturday, July 18th:

• International Car Show on the Golf Course – over 2000 cars on display (Fiat is PVGP Marque for 2015)
• ARPCA Catered Tailgate Party (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Top 10 Peoples’ Choice Concours (open to all Porsches registered through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Door prizes
• Vintage Racing Time Trails (come see many classic and vintage Porsches and othe great marques participating in the races throughout Schenley Park.)

Sunday, July 19th:

• Porsche Car Show
• ARPCA Catered Picnic (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Vintage Car Races

There will be info on our club website, ARPCA.com in a month or so. You can send me a pm if you want more info now. I'll be sending a blast on this out to the various PCA regions nearby. We ussually get a lot of out of towners for this.
Sounds great, unfortunately we are doing a cross country rally of about 1200 miles during that time. Maybe another year. Too many events, too little time.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #18

We are planning a trip that will take us from Oregon down the 101 through napa, then down to San Diego, then east to the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Carlsbad Caverns, and visit family and friends in California, Arizona, Kansas and Colorado. The route and order are not yet set yet, though.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #19

From Ohio to Austin for the Formula 1 this fall.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #20

I'm planning on attending Fiesta New Mexico in May. What is Fiesta New Mexico? | Fiesta New Mexico
This will be about a 3000 mile round trip from the Bay Area. I was planning on attending the Escape in South Dakota but I was just there last year.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote