Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Stereo Upgrade - opinions needed

I have a very stock 1998 Boxster with almost no options. It has the CDR-210 CD player and dash speakers only. It works, and is "adequate"

Now that I'm using the Boxster a lot more, I'd like to upgrade a bit. I looked around the site and saw that you can add rear speakers, but they go in a hard plastic cargo box on top of the engine cover. I have a soft leather type box there. Pelican lists the plastic box for a LOT of $$ so that is out.

I looked at my doors and there are no speakers there, and I don't think they can be easily added. I think I'd have to buy the internal door parts and run wires that aren't there. I think Porsche had amps in the doors, which of course I don't have. Again, very expensive I bet.

I'd really like iPod connectivity. I found a German company that sells a little box for about $350 that makes an iPod emulate the CD changer. Here is the link:
Solisto.Extra | Solisto

Somewhere I also found a Chinese knock-off.

There are cables available that work with the CDR-220, so maybe I could find one of those. I do like the stock look and don't really want to replace the Head Unit. Mainly I need to solve the speaker problem first.

What is the best path forward?

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #2

Garage
Smile

Please google Becker Radio or Becker Autosound.

Bill
Old 12-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I went Alpine with Bluetooth. Sweet. They had a hard time getting the whine or chassis noise out.

Some door panels have the speakers in them. Amp is in the frunk.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

The rear speakers help fill in the sound. A rear storage box (for mounting the speakers )should be available from someone who is parting out a car, on Ebay or from a salvage yard at a reasonable price. I expect that you could also find door cards with the speaker enclosures.

I think you will find that an aftermarket unit (I went with a dual din navigation system) will be less expensive than trying to upgrade stock Becker equipment from the era when your car was manufactured.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #5

Garage
If you can wait a little bit, I'm going to have an entire after market system available that includes:
Alpine IDA-X100 head unit
Alpine MRP-F300 4 channel amp
focal k2 power 13ks subs in modified Porsche door boxes (drop in solution)
Polk db401 speakers modded for the front speakers
Polk db351 speakers in a Porsche rear storage box

I don't have a price for this setup yet, but I'm not looking to make a mint on this. I'll be selling this once I have my new system in.

Tony
Old 12-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #6

Garage
Cheap solution

I had some speaker wire from a previous project and bought some slip-on connectors at Radio Shack that attached to the 4 pins in the back of the radio for rear speakers. The "gagme" Boxster speaker hack suggested that. I connected the rear speakers via the schematic in the radio manual.

I ran the wires under the console, behind the driver seat an up to the soft compartment in a black slip-on wire loom. Connected the wiring to the 4X6 speakers. They fit snug and are angled to the front.

They sound really great. I just need to tidy up the inside of the soft compartment a little and fab up a black mesh so I can unzip the storage compartment and not mute the speakers, which is slightly noticeable when it's zipped.

Total price tag was $45. I'm happy!
ugatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 AM   #7

On my DD I just had a Kenwood stereo added with built-in Bluetooth, satellite, USB, etc, for $250 (labor, tax, and all). Unlike most cars I've had units put in, it didn't require a dash kit or extra wiring harness. One quirk is that the two pins that go to the ignition had to be reversed. The audio shop manager (who owns a 996 Cabrio) said he had to do that mod to his car as well, otherwise the stereo settings will be erased every time you shut off the ignition.
To give dimension and balls to your sound, you might consider one of those compact sub-woofers that fits under the seat. I'm sure it could go on the rear shelf as well.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-22-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
To give dimension and balls to your sound, you might consider one of those compact sub-woofers that fits under the seat. I'm sure it could go on the rear shelf as well.
What subs that fit under the seat? I have been searching for one

I added the rear speaker kit and it made a huge difference
I have the basic system, no amp, no door speakers
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #9

I've seen them at the stereo shop. They're flat and in an aluminum box. Not sure how they work, but it would be a decent alternative.
My weekender has the extra door speakers, but my DD doesn't.
It does make a pretty big difference.
Thinking about adding the compact sub or the shelf speakers to the DD myself.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The rear speakers help fill in the sound. A rear storage box (for mounting the speakers )should be available from someone who is parting out a car, on Ebay or from a salvage yard at a reasonable price.
Or an exorbitant price. Expect to pay $200 for a black carpet one if you can find it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #11

I've decided to continue with the upgrade, but I want the interior to remain "stock looking." I currently have a CDR-210 and dash speakers only. Sounds pretty awful.

So I bought a CDR-220 to replace the CDR-210. That will look stock, but has an iPod input and maybe it will sound a little better.

I also bought a storage box ($95) to add 3.5" speakers for the rear. I will change the front speakers out for better quality 4" speakers.

So my question is - should I get an amp? I kind of want one as I think it might help. I can get an original HAES 6x40 amp for $75. That would allow me to later add 5" speakers in the doors (I can get the door baffles for $50 pair on ebay)

I don't have any of the original amp wiring or mating plugs. Maybe I would be better off with an aftermarket amp in the frunk. I looked quickly on Crutchfield and there are no 6 channel amps. I guess I could use an aftermarket 4 channel amp for the fronts and doors and drive the rears from the CDR-210.

Let me know if you think the Haes 6x40 amp is a good solution - or even if I need an amp at all. I'm not looking for the best system ever... just one that looks stock from inside and doesn't sound terrible.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

I had the same crappy dash speaker only set up in my 2003 Boxster. I added and Alpine head unit along with an amp in the floor of the frunk along with some component speakers in the doors and upgraded alpine speakers in the dash. I didn't add any speaker boxes in the doors, just surface mounted the woofers to the interior panel, and added dynamat to the inside of the doors and the interior panel near the speakers. I'm not audiophile, but I think it sounds great now.
Here's a couple of pics of the doors with the 6.5 inch component speakers installed:

Here's a shot of the amp and crossovers in the frunk. I made a cover out of plywood with short legs that sits over the amp panel so I can still stack cargo in the frunk without it sitting on the amp and crossovers.

Head unit:

Old 01-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Boxster View Post
So my question is - should I get an amp? I kind of want one as I think it might help. I can get an original HAES 6x40 amp for $75. That would allow me to later add 5" speakers in the doors (I can get the door baffles for $50 pair on ebay)

I don't have any of the original amp wiring or mating plugs. Maybe I would be better off with an aftermarket amp in the frunk. Let me know if you think the Haes 6x40 amp is a good solution - or even if I need an amp at all. I'm not looking for the best system ever... just one that looks stock from inside and doesn't sound terrible.
I have a Haes 6X40 amp and I'm satisfied with it. I replaced the Haes 4X40 that was in the car when I bought it. My reasons for using the Haes were (1) Cost (I think I paid $30) and (2) it took very little modification to the existing wiring to incorporate it into the system. My second reason wouldn't apply to you because your car apparently did not come with the hi fi package.

I can say that a Haes 6X40 (with two channels driving the rear speakers) sounds better than a 4X40 with the Becker headunit driving the rear speakers. However the biggest improvement came from upgrading the dash speakers.

I used to be concerned about keeping the stock look, but my double DIN Pioneer unit integrates well into the dash and the additional capabilities of a more modern system are hard to resist. If you get something like a dual DIN unit, it will probably have more power than the Haes amp.

There is a little too much flash in this photo, and under normal lighting conditions it actually blends in a little better.

Consider that "stock" is a relative term. Porsche did sell a double DIN navigation unit with these cars. Not many people bought them, but the design of the car's center console accommodates it pretty well. Todays after market units are much "cleaner" in design than the circa 1999 PCM - Porsche Communication Management system. The PCM had buttons all over it and the screen looked like a cartoon.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #14

I looked at the wiring for the 6 channel amp on the Porsche service manual. The amp has outputs labelled FL, RL, SL (plus FR, RR, SR).

F is for front and R is for Rear, but what about the S? I assume it is for Subwoofer since it is wired to the "DEEP RANGE SPEAKER" in the door. Does that mean there is a fixed, non adjustable crossover inside the amp?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #15

Here's a link to the information I used when I installed my 6 channel amp.

Pinout for 6x40 M490 amp - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

I had the connector from my 4 channel amp and I just modified the connector to fit the 6 channel amp outputs as shown in the thread. I know you are facing a different situation, but there may be some helpful information and links to other threads that may help you.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #16

Garage
DG
I bought an AUX input cord from https://www.discountcarstereo.com/login.php @ $10 and it works fine with my CDR220. I'm also running an Alpine 4 channel 50W amp to power Boston 4 inch speakers in the original locations. To use your words, the sound is still just adequate IMO. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #17

Hi everyone:

Do any of you have a recommendation for a low profile subwoofer that would fit either under the passenger seat or behind it. I know there are 8" and 10" low profile speakers out there, but my concern is that they really do sound (have the punch) of a true subwoofer.

Thanks
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #18

http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

Here's some information on upgrading the sound system
Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #19

Garage
I have a 99 that only had stock dash and door speakers. Like you said, it sounded adequate but not great. I replaced the dash speakers with aftermarket kicker speakers, the door speakers with kickers, and added rear speakers in the storage box. The sound quality difference is amazing and it has great bass even without a dedicated subwoofer. I also added a kenwood double din bluetooth touchscreeb head unit
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Hi everyone:

Do any of you have a recommendation for a low profile subwoofer that would fit either under the passenger seat or behind it. I know there are 8" and 10" low profile speakers out there, but my concern is that they really do sound (have the punch) of a true subwoofer.

Thanks
I have been looking for one as well. All the ones I have found are too tall to fit without raising the seat rails. Putting one behind the pass seat doesn't work for me as it would take away too much legroom.

As far as the sound, while it probably won't be the best bass, it will certainly add quite a bit. Bass is non-directional, so it's location is not critical

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote