Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #1

First drive in a while

It's been nasty here in Houston for weeks on end. Wet and rainy. So the box stayed in the garage and I've been driving my DD, a F150.

This morning it was colder out (high 40's, which is cold for Houston) and I went to the gym at 6 am so traffic wasn't going to be bad so I took the box off the battery tender and fired it up.

You know, I really have no business replacing this boxster with my lifetime dream of owning a 911S or Turbo. Even though it's a lowly 2.5, the exhaust mods and underdrive pulley swap I did a while back and suspension mods make this car a ton of fun to drive when the conditions are right. The car's no longer a comfortable daily driver for a middle aged fat guy, but it sure is fun to drive after being in a big truck every day.

A buddy keeps telling me to strip my boxster down to the factory parts I took off and sell it to a spec guy for $7500 and start saving up for my dream 911S but frankly, I just can't imagine selling this car. I've poured my heart and soul and wallet into it and it's like a rescued dog or adopted formerly abused child!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
X GI

I agree on some of your insight. I am perfectly happy with my lowly 2.5 base Boxster. Nothing special about off the line 0-60 torque, it's noisy at highway speeds...but the days when I use it I'm a happy camper! Just looking at the beautiful shape of the front fenders thru the windshield, sitting low to the ground, carving up every available corner and the snarl of the engine behind me..nothing like it! Of course I've never driven a 2.7, 3.4 or newer...If I ever get a newer Boxster I will probably change my mind but will certainly have fond memories of my first!
1999 Boxster
SJEFFB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I will say that I am glad that I ultimately bought a pair of 911's and a 944. Those are completely different cars than the Boxster and gave me a clear reference for comparisons. I no longer have to wonder about the differences between the cars and I now I can say that I know what I prefer and why. You might be surprised at what you like once you experience it. I know that I was.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Like Tom above, for me the air cooled 911 was a scratch that I had to itch and am very glad that I did. I would of loved to keep the Boxster and the 911 but the practical side of me would not allow it, not to mention nowhere to put both.

Great to hear you still love the Boxster Randall, enjoy..................
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #5

The 2.5 and its gear box, imho is the best fit for the 986. That car can handle a hell of a lot more power and still keep its special feel, but when you do go bigger on power it's the engine doing all of the work. The ideal Porsche racing car for those without unlimited budgets.

Historically, Porsches with big engines, except for the special editions and the really expensive variants, represent only a very small % of all Porsches. I'd bet the 2.5 is probably in the middle of the curve on total cars produced basis. So I don't see anything lowly about the re-introduced 356A#1 or 550 (take your pic).
RN, with a few mods like lighter wheels, brakes, fw/clutch, battery, exhaust/headers that 2.5 can be brought down to ~2,600 lbs. with still room for more weight savings. That's barely a stone's throw from Spec racing weight except that you can keep on modifying and they can't.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
A buddy keeps telling me to strip my boxster down to the factory parts I took off and sell it to a spec guy for $7500 and start saving up for my dream 911S but frankly, I just can't imagine selling this car. I've poured my heart and soul and wallet into it and it's like a rescued dog or adopted formerly abused child!
I've made that same decision the very-first-time/day I took this Boxster car out for a topless drive around Taihu lake (200~300km drive). Nice warm and sunny summer day, I can still remember my wife's smiley face today. At that stage, it was a long time keeper for me

Screw $100,000 cars.... wife and I have other means to get us to fit in today's 'social rankings'.... life is not all about driving a Nine Eleven lol

Nice little morning reading, thanks Randall
Old 01-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJEFFB986 View Post
Of course I've never driven a 2.7, 3.4 or newer...If I ever get a newer Boxster I will probably change my mind but will certainly have fond memories of my first!
I've driven all of them, friends' cars. The 2.7 is no different from the 2.5. Unnoticeable power add-ons whatsoever, somehow feels a big heavier dunno. The 3.2 however is a blast... so much more power - very very noticeable and bloody fun

BUT

It just doesn't sound as good as the 2.5l at 7k rev. The 2.5 almost sounds like an F1 if you have a perf headers.... I'll trade that for power any day lollll
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

I've had a few of these cars at the same time.

My driveway had a 98 Box, 2000BoxS and, wait for it...84 Alfa Spider. All three of the cars are a blast to drive. the 98 had more than enough power for running around town and playing boy racer. I would drive the car for a week or so and there was never a time that I thought that I wished I was driving anything else.

Driving the Alfa is like nothing else! 115HP of italian stallion! Doesn't matter. The Alfa will always be a constant in the stable, as its been part of the family since 1986. This rust free car feels like I'm going 90 when the speedo indicates 50. It sounds like no other car (the Alfa song) and looks like it should cost 10 times as much as it is worth in real life US dollars. FWIW, I get more compliments on the Alfa than all my other cars combined, even though most folks have no idea what it is. I just added an antique plate as the car is now 30 year old...been looking forward to it for years but now makes me feel like sh_t. Just doesn't seem right (or possible).

The BoxS is the best. Period. Can't seem to find anything I dislike about driving this car. It's docile in everyday traffic but immediately takes on a different personality when pushed. Just too cool. My example is pushing 123K miles and has no rattles, weird noises or leaks. It has been inexpensive to own and easy to maintain.
I cannot think of a reason not to always own this car.

Somehow, thanks to ebay, I am now the proud owner of a 99 M Roadster, Imola red with solid black interior and optional hard top (second time I've owned one). I love the way this car looks and sounds. I have no idea what to do with it. Crap. What was I thinking?

Oh yeah, we also are proud owners of a 2004 350Z roadster tourning. Enough about that.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

Been daily driving mine during this terrible Houston weather! Just washed it this evening and waxed the front hood/fenders. First wash in a very long time with this weekly rainy winter we seem to be having.

The Boxster or Cayman are my ultimate car at this point in life - I see no reason for a 911 or anything else from another brand. What's a 911 going to give you practically aside from back seats and more power? If you want more power get a 981.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote