Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Drives with Scissors

Wood Dash Kits - worth it?

I've been looking to upgrade the interior a little. Checked out some of the wood Dash kits. I do not think I would use the full kits just maybe some key pieces to add a little sophistication or flare.

What is the experience with these?
They fit over the existing pieces...does this make all the buttons severely recessed?
Do they look good? or do not do that to Your Boxter S your going to wish you hadn;t?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

The latter more so than the former......
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMass View Post
I've been looking to upgrade the interior a little. Checked out some of the wood Dash kits. I do not think I would use the full kits just maybe some key pieces to add a little sophistication or flare.

What is the experience with these?
They fit over the existing pieces...does this make all the buttons severely recessed?
Do they look good? or do not do that to Your Boxter S your going to wish you hadn;t?
After trying out the real Porsche wood (read expensive) and dealing with cracks and veneer separation from sun exposure I bought a wood kit from eBay from a guy who bought one nine years ago and never installed it. I got it for $59.00 and have installed most of the pieces. The key is to get a preparation swab for the plastic surfaces before you apply the kit so the kit pieces adhere properly. If you decide to get a kit I'll supply you with a site that sells them the cheapest.
I'm very happy with the dark burl wood kit I bought and if I ever become unhappy with it I can take a hair dryer to it and remove it without damaging the original plastic it was applied to and I'm only out a few dollars versus the $$$$$ that Porsche gets for their wood interior pieces.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

Where can one buy such a kit? EBay?
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM   #5

Garage
I'm not a big fan of wood kits but I did use one on an old Saab 900 that added a lot to the look of the drab interior. Another option you may want to look at is the 3m wraps. I know most tend to go with 3M di noc carbon fiber but there are a ton of wood grain options. The 3M material is top quality and used in many construction projects where using real wood could be extremely expensive and challenging to produce. I've had good luck ordering from metrorestyling and they have more then 10 3M wood grains to choose from. You would be able to wrap right into the switch holes and nothing would end up recessed. I' guessing it's only about 3 mils thick and will curve to any contour with a heat gun.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

I would consider some alcantara instead. Wood in a sports car will make the car look very dated. Fine for a Jaguar or Audi but I don't think the design had wood in mind.

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/656411d1345010352-anybody-know-what-color-this-is-evosport-porsche-997tt-042.jpg
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I would consider some alcantara instead. Wood in a sports car will make the car look very dated. Fine for a Jaguar or Audi but I don't think the design had wood in mind.

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/656411d1345010352-anybody-know-what-color-this-is-evosport-porsche-997tt-042.jpg
I think it depends on the interior color. The red and saddle interiors seem to lend themselves to wood well where the black and darker colors go well with carbon fiber and not so well with wood.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #8

Not a "Porsche thing" IMHO.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I think it depends on the interior color. The red and saddle interiors seem to lend themselves to wood well where the black and darker colors go well with carbon fiber and not so well with wood.
yes a neutral color pallet may flatter wood but it just doesn't fit in a Boxster conceptually.
The theme of the Boxster interior was very cutting edge for it's time, definitely cutting edge for a Porsche. The only wood that Grant Larson had in mind was on the shift knob and that seemed like just a nod to the 550 heritage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/2009-11-04_Porsche_Boxster_Concept_cockpit.jpg
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Personally I would never buy a car with wood trim in it.... But that is just my opinion
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Well...I would always prefer real wood over fake carbon or wood
...good that tastes are different

One of my fav interior configurations:
Old 01-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
yes a neutral color pallet may flatter wood but it just doesn't fit in a Boxster conceptually.
The theme of the Boxster interior was very cutting edge for it's time, definitely cutting edge for a Porsche. The only wood that Grant Larson had in mind was on the shift knob and that seemed like just a nod to the 550 heritage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/2009-11-04_Porsche_Boxster_Concept_cockpit.jpg
The interior on the concept Boxster is cutting edge even for today but that is not what we ended up with. We ended up with a plasticky dull looking interior and is one of the reasons that Porsche provided wood interior alternatives as a choice for buyers to personalize their Boxsters. The only unfortunate thing is the wood veneers are expensive, paper thin and prone to cracking, peeling and separation from prolonged sun exposure. Suncoast still offers the kits for the 986 Boxster if one wants to spend the money on them.
I don't know what the age group is here that doesn't like wood interiors but many of us who grew up with British sports cars still like the look of wood in the interior of a top down cab.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Drives with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
After trying out the real Porsche wood (read expensive) and dealing with cracks and veneer separation from sun exposure I bought a wood kit from eBay from a guy who bought one nine years ago and never installed it. I got it for $59.00 and have installed most of the pieces. The key is to get a preparation swab for the plastic surfaces before you apply the kit so the kit pieces adhere properly. If you decide to get a kit I'll supply you with a site that sells them the cheapest.
I'm very happy with the dark burl wood kit I bought and if I ever become unhappy with it I can take a hair dryer to it and remove it without damaging the original plastic it was applied to and I'm only out a few dollars versus the $$$$$ that Porsche gets for their wood interior pieces.
What is the best place to get a kit?