Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Drives with Scissors
 
TMass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 33
Wood Dash Kits - worth it?

I've been looking to upgrade the interior a little. Checked out some of the wood Dash kits. I do not think I would use the full kits just maybe some key pieces to add a little sophistication or flare.

What is the experience with these?
They fit over the existing pieces...does this make all the buttons severely recessed?
Do they look good? or do not do that to Your Boxter S your going to wish you hadn;t?

__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver
TMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,599
The latter more so than the former......
__________________
"Cool Prius!"
- Nobody
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Luv2Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 494
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMass View Post
I've been looking to upgrade the interior a little. Checked out some of the wood Dash kits. I do not think I would use the full kits just maybe some key pieces to add a little sophistication or flare.

What is the experience with these?
They fit over the existing pieces...does this make all the buttons severely recessed?
Do they look good? or do not do that to Your Boxter S your going to wish you hadn;t?
After trying out the real Porsche wood (read expensive) and dealing with cracks and veneer separation from sun exposure I bought a wood kit from eBay from a guy who bought one nine years ago and never installed it. I got it for $59.00 and have installed most of the pieces. The key is to get a preparation swab for the plastic surfaces before you apply the kit so the kit pieces adhere properly. If you decide to get a kit I'll supply you with a site that sells them the cheapest.
I'm very happy with the dark burl wood kit I bought and if I ever become unhappy with it I can take a hair dryer to it and remove it without damaging the original plastic it was applied to and I'm only out a few dollars versus the $$$$$ that Porsche gets for their wood interior pieces.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Where can one buy such a kit? EBay?
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 AM   #5
Registered User
 
dagdisco03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 104
Garage
I'm not a big fan of wood kits but I did use one on an old Saab 900 that added a lot to the look of the drab interior. Another option you may want to look at is the 3m wraps. I know most tend to go with 3M di noc carbon fiber but there are a ton of wood grain options. The 3M material is top quality and used in many construction projects where using real wood could be extremely expensive and challenging to produce. I've had good luck ordering from metrorestyling and they have more then 10 3M wood grains to choose from. You would be able to wrap right into the switch holes and nothing would end up recessed. I' guessing it's only about 3 mils thick and will curve to any contour with a heat gun.
__________________
2000 Boxster S
dagdisco03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
I would consider some alcantara instead. Wood in a sports car will make the car look very dated. Fine for a Jaguar or Audi but I don't think the design had wood in mind.

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/656411d1345010352-anybody-know-what-color-this-is-evosport-porsche-997tt-042.jpg
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Luv2Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 494
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I would consider some alcantara instead. Wood in a sports car will make the car look very dated. Fine for a Jaguar or Audi but I don't think the design had wood in mind.

http://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/997-forum/656411d1345010352-anybody-know-what-color-this-is-evosport-porsche-997tt-042.jpg
I think it depends on the interior color. The red and saddle interiors seem to lend themselves to wood well where the black and darker colors go well with carbon fiber and not so well with wood.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Registered User
 
lkchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 667
Not a "Porsche thing" IMHO.
__________________
Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
2001 Boxster
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
3 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I think it depends on the interior color. The red and saddle interiors seem to lend themselves to wood well where the black and darker colors go well with carbon fiber and not so well with wood.
yes a neutral color pallet may flatter wood but it just doesn't fit in a Boxster conceptually.
The theme of the Boxster interior was very cutting edge for it's time, definitely cutting edge for a Porsche. The only wood that Grant Larson had in mind was on the shift knob and that seemed like just a nod to the 550 heritage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/2009-11-04_Porsche_Boxster_Concept_cockpit.jpg
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Fintro11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 893
Personally I would never buy a car with wood trim in it.... But that is just my opinion
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
WALDMEISTER
 
BRAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,052
Garage
Well...I would always prefer real wood over fake carbon or wood
...good that tastes are different

One of my fav interior configurations:
__________________
Original Owner | PORSCHE Boxster 2.7L (MY01) | Seal Gray
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Luv2Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pacific Grove, CA
Posts: 494
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
yes a neutral color pallet may flatter wood but it just doesn't fit in a Boxster conceptually.
The theme of the Boxster interior was very cutting edge for it's time, definitely cutting edge for a Porsche. The only wood that Grant Larson had in mind was on the shift knob and that seemed like just a nod to the 550 heritage.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/2009-11-04_Porsche_Boxster_Concept_cockpit.jpg
The interior on the concept Boxster is cutting edge even for today but that is not what we ended up with. We ended up with a plasticky dull looking interior and is one of the reasons that Porsche provided wood interior alternatives as a choice for buyers to personalize their Boxsters. The only unfortunate thing is the wood veneers are expensive, paper thin and prone to cracking, peeling and separation from prolonged sun exposure. Suncoast still offers the kits for the 986 Boxster if one wants to spend the money on them.
I don't know what the age group is here that doesn't like wood interiors but many of us who grew up with British sports cars still like the look of wood in the interior of a top down cab.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Drives with Scissors
 
TMass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
After trying out the real Porsche wood (read expensive) and dealing with cracks and veneer separation from sun exposure I bought a wood kit from eBay from a guy who bought one nine years ago and never installed it. I got it for $59.00 and have installed most of the pieces. The key is to get a preparation swab for the plastic surfaces before you apply the kit so the kit pieces adhere properly. If you decide to get a kit I'll supply you with a site that sells them the cheapest.
I'm very happy with the dark burl wood kit I bought and if I ever become unhappy with it I can take a hair dryer to it and remove it without damaging the original plastic it was applied to and I'm only out a few dollars versus the $$$$$ that Porsche gets for their wood interior pieces.
What is the best place to get a kit?

__________________
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver
TMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page