Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Best option for replacing plastic window?

I have a good top...with a hopelessly foggy, cracking plastic rear window. I've been researching options, but what's the best fix? Another point...the top the car currently has is it's second top, and edges don't tuck properly. I have to stop mid-raise to tuck the edges of the top under the frame as it unfolds. If I have to replace the whole top just to get a good window, how do I ensure I end up with a properly-functioning top, without having to perform some ghetto 2-phase operation to get the top in place?

~Who makes the best product?
~Later model top?
~Aftermarket top?
~Can just the window be replaced?

FYI I'm absolutely not putting plastic back in this car.

HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

You can buy a brand new Aftermarket top off eBay around the $400 mark and you can install it yourself or you can pay a pro to do it for you but be warned it can take up to 9 hours to put the thing on properly and you're looking at $1000 in labor which seems pretty steep considering you only paid $400. Mine is still sitting under my bed and I hope to install it myself in the not too distant future.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #3

I bought a new top with plastic window off ebay and installed it myself. With the help of Waynes book and these forums, i got the job done but it does take a lot of hours. Having done one i feel i can do it faster now. I think it took me around 16 hours broken up over a few days. I also broke some plastic clips taking the old cover off and that set me back 2 days and about $50 ordering those parts from the dealer. If you diy, make sure you have a large workspace and a clean surface to lay the new top on so you dont scratch it and scuff it up. Also keep track of parts as you disassemble (I used an old cupcake tray to lay bolts and screws in) and during re-assembly, an extra set of hands can be helpful just to hold things in place while you position and tighten fasteners etc. Good luck if you go this route! I had fun doing mine and i would do it again if i had to. Also helps to take pictures as you disassemble in case you forget how something is supposed to go back together. Pay attention to how things come apart.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

Some places can see in a replacement plastic window, the previous owner of my 2000 had that done.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIam View Post
I have a good top...with a hopelessly foggy, cracking plastic rear window. I've been researching options, but what's the best fix? Another point...the top the car currently has is it's second top, and edges don't tuck properly. I have to stop mid-raise to tuck the edges of the top under the frame as it unfolds. If I have to replace the whole top just to get a good window, how do I ensure I end up with a properly-functioning top, without having to perform some ghetto 2-phase operation to get the top in place?

~Who makes the best product?
~Later model top?
~Aftermarket top?
~Can just the window be replaced?

FYI I'm absolutely not putting plastic back in this car.
Change it to a quality aftermarket top with glass window and never look back. Usually about $1500 installed.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Change it to a quality aftermarket top with glass window and never look back. Usually about $1500 installed.
This is a good idea only you have to beware which glass window you purchase, the design of some of them will not let you fold the glass window over to access the engine compartment.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

How do the $400-$500 tops on Ebay compare to a $600-$900 top from GAHH?

http://www.gahh.com/store.php?cPath=57_341_3005&products_family_id=1

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #8

The one I bought was off ebay. It was from auto tops direct. Here is their website:

Porsche Boxster Convertible Tops

Looking on ebay, this is the top I bought, the german A5 cloth:

Porsche Boxster Convertible Top Black German A5 Cloth Plastic Window | eBay

It was of equal quality of the original top that I took off the car and overall I am happy with it. I do wonder at times if I should have done the glass window instead of plastic, and I probably should have, but if I have the car that long then maybe next time I'll do the glass option.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
This is a good idea only you have to beware which glass window you purchase, the design of some of them will not let you fold the glass window over to access the engine compartment.
Not really much of an issue if you ask me. Changing the air filter element and checking ps fluid is still pretty easy to do. If you plan major work just undo 4 bolts and remove the top completely.