Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

RUF 993TT Carnage

Nobody was hurt badly but you can't say that about the 993. Real shame.

When a RUF Turbo R and truck collide everyone loses

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #2

Garage
The front windshield barely appears to be cracked. Pretty impressive crumple zone.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #3

Too bad. Donor car
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Now it's a really rare parts car. What a shame.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Strange that there is no description of what happened or who might have been at fault....
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Strange that there is no description of what happened or who might have been at fault....
In post 185 of the below link the owner, Steve, post regarding the accident.

It was a group of Rennlist members meeting for a drive. Steve is the owner of "Rufus" the 993 Ruf car. One great guy. He has raced and is a class act. Unfortunately, these things happen.

ATTN SF Bay Area RLers: January Meetup TBD - Page 13 - Rennlist Discussion Forums

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

So strange...I was browsing that site just a week ago and

remember reading about the car and I think he mentioned having his insurance adjusted to cover the car more just before going on this "rendevous" with other 911 owners. Call it hindsight or deja-vu, but the way the trip was being described beforehand, I had a weird feeling something like this would happen as it seemed like they were going to "exercise" their cars like so often happens on these kind of get togethers. I have not read the details of the crash and perhaps speed wasn't involved in the accident but on going on at least one similar outing years ago's that was supposed to be "scenic only" I would not be surprised....just hope everyone is okay in the end and man that really sucks that it happened to a 993TT.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
remember reading about the car and I think he mentioned having his insurance adjusted to cover the car more.....
Yap.... He got a stated value of $149,600. Unfortunately he can't replace it for that.

Rufus just got appraised for Stated Value insurance - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #9

Quote:
I imagine that's because Rufus is going to be at fault for speeding around a blind S turn and smashing into a merging pickup.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

I get the same feeling too.

With as many people that likely had camera's in their cars, I would think at least part of the incident or the type of driving that lead up to it is probably recorded somewhere...whether that would be shared with the authorities is another issue. I did read earlier in the thread on rennlist that the get together was for a "spirited drive" and we know what that usually entails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I imagine that's because Rufus is going to be at fault for speeding around a blind S turn and smashing into a merging pickup.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Certified Boxster Addict

Still, usually any type of incident like this that gets posted online is typically accompanied by multiple accounts of exactly what happened, how it happened, and why it happened. Its curious that no one has come forward to say much at all - usually someone will spill the beans.

I previously participated in a few "spirited drives" with other Porsche owners and I stopped attending because it was too risky - it seemed to me that the speeds and driving style undertaken on public roads was likely to result in an incident and I didn't want any involvement.

Sorry to see such a nice car so banged up. I wish him lots of luck in dealing with the insurance company. They are not going to want to cut a $150,000 check easily.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #12

Some of the thread participants

kind of suggested not talking about the incident to avoid anything incriminating being used one way or the other in the settlement and blame game...without knowing any more about the accident, for some reason I kind of feel bad for the truck driver as he may be fighting a bit of an uphill battle if he is not at fault.

The one event like this I participated in I was towards the back half (nissan Z-cars) of the group and the route circled around a large lake and park in the area. I remember spectators standing alongside the road as the cars passed, some of them moving well past the speed limit and thinking if a child ran across the road, pet, etc. not to mention some of the people pulling boats around blind curves coming your way. Towards the end of the drive I had been passed by just about everyone in the group that was behind me...that was the signal to call it quits and I broke away from the group and did my own thing from that point forward. The drive was fun at first and the sight of that many cars/owners together was cool but it just became sensless after a while. Hope the drive they were on with the 993TT was a bit more sensible.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Still, usually any type of incident like this that gets posted online is typically accompanied by multiple accounts of exactly what happened, how it happened, and why it happened. Its curious that no one has come forward to say much at all - usually someone will spill the beans.

I previously participated in a few "spirited drives" with other Porsche owners and I stopped attending because it was too risky - it seemed to me that the speeds and driving style undertaken on public roads was likely to result in an incident and I didn't want any involvement.

Sorry to see such a nice car so banged up. I wish him lots of luck in dealing with the insurance company. They are not going to want to cut a $150,000 check easily.
+1, esp the last line. Wonder if they'll be able to wiggle out because speed was obviously an issue. No idea what the speed limit was for that turn, but based on the damage Rufus had to be going 3x the limit.

Watching the vid again, it looks like the guy filming was either the 2nd or 3rd on the sceen. And it appears the wreck had happened well before they got there. There may not be any video evidence and the 2 Porsche guys are probably not talking since they're culpable.

The fun runs our club does are not spirited. And if you're further back in the line, you need to be on your game b/c the line can suddenly stop.

"I kind of feel bad for the truck driver as he may be fighting a bit of an uphill battle if he is not at fault" - papasmurf

As long as he doesn't have "neck issues" and asks for an inordinate settlement, Rufus' ins co should be quick and fair with him. I had a drunk driver try to kill me 27 yrs ago and his co was happy to generously pay for my car as long as I didn't sue them. The truck driver shouldn't have problems getting a check.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #14

I was refering mainly to blame of the accident...

lone truck driver versus pack of sports cars (as incriminating as that may sound). Hopefully those involved and that witnessed the accident will be nothing but honest in their statements of the events that took place.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Yap.... He got a stated value of $149,600. Unfortunately he can't replace it for that.

Rufus just got appraised for Stated Value insurance - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Why would the professional appraiser state a value that's below the replacement cost?
What was the point of this exercise from an insurance standpoint. Confused...

Someone here listed a 993T for a quick sale at $130K last summer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #16

Well, IMHO, he has put so much into the car that the replacement cost would be far above the $149K amount it is insured for. The 993 turbos have gone through the roof and Ruf no longer modifies Porsches. If he could come close to Rufus, it would be north of the $149K mark. It was a good call getting it appraised, but the insurance companies can only go so far.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #17

Due to the current demand and dramatic rising values changing an insurance policy on a 993 (especially an example like Steve's, who is indeed a heckuva nice fellow) is almost a yearly requirement.

The RUF 993 PL referenced was Patrick's (another heckuva nice fellow) who priced it to sell. He was becoming increasingly concerned with actually using the car and enjoying it with the values going where they were. He has since bought another 993 (C2S) and is once again enjoying the air cooled world without quite as much angst.

Lastly, as Chuck stated Steve is widely liked and respected on the Rennlist forum, members there have shown themselves to be prudent with (the lack of) observations / opining.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #18

Ouch, feel bad for the guys, especially the RUF car owners.

Same happened here back in Nov. Spanking new 997 (well, low mileage one anyway). Totaled. Spirit driving, other dudes' ego kicking in, faster faster faster and then bang. Nearly killed his passenger the way it ended.

Spiritos driving is banned in our little group here since then. Not the same anymore. Anyone pushing it is abandoned (and off the email distribution list).