Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

05 Boxster (987): Upgrade 17" Wheels?

Guys,

I have an 05 Boxster (987) that I'm looking to do some work on. I have owned the car for about an year, and even though I'm trying to learn as I go, my technical knowledge is limited.

One of the first thing I'm planning to do is replacing the Rims/Tires on the car.

This is what I currently have:

Fronts: Continental SportContact2 205/55 ZR 17 91Y Radial Tubeless
Rears: Michelin 235/50 ZR17 96 M+S Tubeless

My understanding is I have 17" Wheels. I have two main questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade to 18" or 19" wheels? Or do you have to stick with the size that you currently have? I have an Indy mechanic/workshop that will be doing all the work for me. I'll probably purchase the rims & wheels myself.

2) Can someone recommend me good tires for the car? I'm not looking for racing tires, on the contrary, tires with good traction for basic city driving. I will be replacing all 4.

Any advice / suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

luci5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

18's or 19's should not be a problem on the car

as they were a factory option. Tire brands/models is a matter of opinion to some extent. I never put top tier priced/performance tires on my car (michelin, BF goodrich, etc.) and instead put something a step or two below (falken, sumitomo, kumho, etc.) as I drive on the street and usually not very aggressively. There are all sorts of tire reviews available at discount tire and tire racks websites. I usually pick something with a decent tread wear rating for the price (theoretically, the higher the number the longer they "should" last) as I want them to last as long as possible. You can also get an idea of what wheels would fit at those sites assuming you are not going with a factory rim. You need to get the offset and backspacing to fit of the wheels you select to match your car and I am sure someone will post the necessary details in this thread momentarily as I do not know them at the moment.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

luci5r....
Changing to a 18" or 19" wheel / tyre combo is not always an upgrade.
Driving on the street with your current size wheels with a set of good quality tyres will be more than adequate over larger wheels with low(er) profile tyres. Eye candy is a different proposition though....
Tyre choice can be confusing but if you want the best go with Michelin Pilots or Continental Conti Sports - they are more expensive initially but their lifespan, grip and quiet running are better than most for us mere mortals - plus going to a 18" setup is much more expensive for little or no gain for the type of driving (basic city) you are proposing.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
luci5r....
Changing to a 18" or 19" wheel / tyre combo is not always an upgrade.
Driving on the street with your current size wheels with a set of good quality tyres will be more than adequate over larger wheels with low(er) profile tyres. Eye candy is a different proposition though....
Tyre choice can be confusing but if you want the best go with Michelin Pilots or Continental Conti Sports - they are more expensive initially but their lifespan, grip and quiet running are better than most for us mere mortals - plus going to a 18" setup is much more expensive for little or no gain for the type of driving (basic city) you are proposing.
Thanks to both of you for responding.

Your responses definitely clears up some of my questions. I don't believe I would move into the 19" wheels, but I'm still contemplating about the 18", and perhaps eye candy is the reason.

In terms of tires, I do agree, Michelin Pilots or Continental Conti Sports is what I will most likely stick with.

For wheels, I've been looking at carid, suncoastporsche and a few other places. Not sure if there's other good options.

I might just stick with my 17".

A few weeks ago I was at a grocery store where I saw boxster S parked in the lot, quite loaded, and I absolutely loved the rims it had. I really wish I had snapped a picture cause I cannot find them. The only thing I distinctly remember is the center with the Porsche Crest, instead of being indented (settled in), it was the opposite, it was extending out, almost like popping out, on a circular base with a gear-spokes like look. I really wish I could find those wheels.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. I think pricing will determine whether bother getting 18" / 19" or stick with my 17".

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Garage
Go to Wheel Enhancements website for great pictures of Porsche wheels.

They are in Culver City & are as good as anyone on Porsche specific wheel & Tires.

I recommend you stay with 17" Best ride comfort & the car is more nimble = FUN

Michelin Pilot allseason 3
Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Go to Wheel Enhancements website for great pictures of Porsche wheels.

They are in Culver City & are as good as anyone on Porsche specific wheel & Tires.

I recommend you stay with 17" Best ride comfort & the car is more nimble = FUN

Michelin Pilot allseason 3
You guys have pretty much convinced me to stick with 17" wheels; I guess the size upgrade isn't all that it's cracked up to be. So be it. I'm most definitely sticking with the 17".

Michelin Pilots are top choice - that is most likely what's going on my car.

I'll definitely take a look at that website today. I'm actually not all that far from Culver City.

Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Garage
The 101 Projects book has a large collage of various rims in it.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

Didn't want to start a new thread just yet, but looking for some Tire advice now.

I'm sticking with 17" and Michelin, Continental & BF Goodrich seem nice, but also seem to be almost twice the cost. Before I jump into them, wanted to see how some other, 2nd tier brands are, like Toyo, Hankook, Sumitomo, Falken, etc.

I'm only interested in city driving. Lately it has been raining a bit here so that is definitely one concern; wet roads performance.

I do understand the top tier (Michelin, etc.) will probably last longer; but would like to compare other aspects, given the major cost difference.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luci5r View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread just yet, but looking for some Tire advice now.

I'm sticking with 17" and Michelin, Continental & BF Goodrich seem nice, but also seem to be almost twice the cost. Before I jump into them, wanted to see how some other, 2nd tier brands are, like Toyo, Hankook, Sumitomo, Falken, etc.

I'm only interested in city driving. Lately it has been raining a bit here so that is definitely one concern; wet roads performance.

I do understand the top tier (Michelin, etc.) will probably last longer; but would like to compare other aspects, given the major cost difference.

Thanks!
As you said they are 2nd tier tires. What we see over & over again on forums is people replace these tires before they are worn out due to a rough ride/&or noisy ride.
It is hard to get useful advice from most people about tires since they are inevitably comparing old tires they want to replace with new tires they just bought.
Ask the guys at wheel Enhancement that question. They may have new car take-off wheels &or tires also. TireRack website is where I begin any wheel/tire search for info.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

^^^^ What BY said - you really do get what you pay for. Try the Michelins and come back & tell us you are unhappy with the cost - I bet you don't...
My PS2's made my previous Falkens feel like driving on wood blocks.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Garage
I had sumitomo tires on my DD and at 10,000 miles they had about half tread left but we're so noisy I thought I had a wheel bearing go out!!

On my p-car I have the Hankook tires with 18" wheels. I love the look, but the rough ride will make your kidneys bleed. Where as, 17's wouldn't be "as" bad because potentially you have more sidewall (rubber). So, if you are in a bind, go with cheap tires, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Just for reference, here are 18's

Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
987 , rims , tires