Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Fix the top or not?

I'm looking for opinions

On the '99, the top had a bad cable and gear when I bought it. I have had the parts needed to repair it for over four months now, but still haven't bothered to put them in. With the gears and lift arms deleted, it is very easy to just raise the clamshell and open/close the top manually. I am considering just leaving it that way indefinitely now.

The clamshell is now only held down by gravity and wind-force.

Is there any harm in not fixing it?

Should I be embarrassed to be seen opening my roof by hand?

Am I the only one driving around with a manual top?

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #2

It's a Porsche. Fix it.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #3

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43235-why-i-converted-manual-top.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51966-soft-top-mechanism-just-failed.html
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Please fix it
Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

Fix it. What's stopping you since you've already invested in the parts I assume? If you ever have to sell it in the future, you will want to get the best price obviously by fixing it, and if you are going to fix it then, might as well do it now and enjoy the confidence as long as you own the car. Reasoning skills FTW! Haha
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Garage
I have a similar issue, bought mine with an inoperative top, one of the rods was bent. I ordered all the new parts, rods and a couple plastic ends, and have several hours trying to "re- time and align" the mechanism. It's not quite as easy as some make it sound. I'll play with it more over winter while it's down, but if it keeps fighting me it's staying manual.
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

When I had my 993 cab I went manual because of all the issues the power top had. It was the best thing I ever did. Now, if the Boxster goes out I'll fix it. For the most part these tops have been pretty hearty and easily fixed. Reading post on the subject it appears that the repairs are fairly straightforward and well documented. You have the parts, give it a shot.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #8

put it off until spring
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

I've fixed the power top operation on two Boxsters, a 98 with snapped end sockets and missing contoller and an '00 with a bad drive cable. I'm no expert, certainly closer to the 'hack' end of the spectrum than 'good mechanic'.

One both cars, I removed the transmissions to check for wear and to lubricate the gears. Both went together without any rear issue. Timing the two sides just takes a little patience (and a cordless drill!).

I walked away appreciating how simple and elegant the power top really is...one small motor, two drive cables, arms and transmission, a controller and a few limit switches. Pretty cool!

Although the top does go up and down easily in manual mode, I just can't see why one would settle for it.

I know that when I look at inexpensive Boxsters for sale that mention having a manual top, I see the potential to get a car at a great price, knowing that there is much value added to having the top work properly.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks for the insight and opinions. I'm swayed enough to fix it. End of March deadline.
:dance:
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #11

You are reminding myself a few year ago. Broke 3 times, fixed 3 times - the last time by the dealer's tech. Last time it broke everything seized up on one side and bent things pretty badly (clearly see clamshell bent from the pic below lol). Little over $2000 later I gave up, need to replace the clamshell or get it straighten somehow. Fed up man

Luck with yours, manual/gravity it will be for me :/

Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
You are reminding myself a few year ago. Broke 3 times, fixed 3 times - the last time by the dealer's tech. Last time it broke everything seized up on one side and bent things pretty badly (clearly see clamshell bent from the pic below lol). Little over $2000 later I gave up, need to replace the clamshell or get it straighten somehow. Fed up man

Luck with yours, manual/gravity it will be for me :/

Where did you get the tail for your box?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
Where did you get the tail for your box?
Kewl, you are back! I admit I was missing you and the occasional pics of attractive ladies posing with your boxster

Got the spoiler from Stuart in the UK. Knock off of the oem Porsche aero kit of course, no 3rdbrake light, but "excellent quality". Was surprising in fact... came in ready to paint lol Affordable!

Porsche Boxster Spoiler | eBay

If I could do it all again, I think I would have gone with below. Unfortunately it wasn't avail at the time. Flowing with the bodylines and all....

Boxster Porsche Bumper Spoiler Diffuser Polyurethane Body Kit | eBay

Sincere apologies to OP for posting spoiler materials in a roof fix thread.