Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

so i did a little video. Hope you can see how the complete light unit is moving up and down. At the moment i have a connection problem with my left front light. When i put on high beam the left blinker light turns on. Will fix that later on - drive the car only from april to october.

Porsche Boxster 986 Litronic - YouTube

Regards
Markus
You know Charles (Particlewave) can hack the servos motors with a microcomputer and level the whole unit using a 6DOF sensor? The headlights will aim even during accel/deceleration (real-time). Beat that German Designers lol

Thanks for the vid btw. I really wonder what's the (distance) diff between the static Lit and oem... still I bet it's not much.

Great headlight, I've always said. They are just so bloody expansive.... their major issue

Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
That triggers an interesting thought.

As I noted above, I recently bought a set of used OEM litronic headlights which I was able to refurbish and install on my car. Because they were out of a wreck, I didn't receive a controller or wiring harness with them that would permit the xenon bulbs to swivel up and reinforce the high beams when they are switched on. I have been searching for the components I need to install that feature, but I thought that a better option might be to install the TechnoLite_HD kit in place of the current H7 Halogen bulb used for the high beam. This would essentially create a Bi-Xenon headlight.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this. The main drawback to doing this appears to be that there would be two ballasts on the back of the headlight. The OEM ballast is quite large and takes up a lot of territory. So, while the TechnoLite_HD ballast is small, there may not be enough real estate to accommodate it on the back of the headlight.

I also want to verify that having two xenon bulbs running simultaneously in each headlight wouldn't draw too much current or otherwise harm the electrical system. According to the Porsche literature, the OEM Litronics use 30% less power than the halogens. But, there could be a momentary surge when they turn on that exceeds some limit in the system. Heat does not appear to be problem because the xenon bulbs are said to run at a lower temperature than the halogens.
I would call Pedro and ask him that question about Bi-xenon. The way i see it a couple hundred bucks does pretty much the same as the more expensive litronics.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1 View Post
I would call Pedro and ask him that question about Bi-xenon. The way i see it a couple hundred bucks does pretty much the same as the more expensive litronics.
I posted the question on his board - he recommends against a two Xenon bulb set up for the same reasons expressed on this board: The problem with that setup ...

I already have my litronics (which were a bit of a refurb/repair project and much less expensive than buying a new set) so right now I'm not seriously considering an aftermarket solution. I'm pretty happy with how my project turned out, from an appearance standpoint, but I would like to improve the function:

Thanks to Markus for posting the video on the litronic operation. Considering that (according to my Bentley manual) litronics were an option starting in 1999, it seems possible that a more modern set of controls would be available.

By the way, here are some shots of the internals of my defective ballast:

Does that look like a lot of components for what it does?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #24

Hard to digest the fact that there is someone obsessed about headlights more than Charles and myself on this forum LOL

You can't run xenon on a reflector - too bright. You'll blind a deer and he'll simply jump in front of your car. Xenon needs to be distributed (pattern) to be effective, safe - and legal.

You are right about the oem wires. The gauge is 16AWG and rated at 20amp. Igniting two HID ballasts at the same time (let's say you start the car with high beams stick pushed to on) would bring up the current dangerously near its limit (7~9amps per ballast). Something will melt... god know where

You could polish your current projector's glass lens and throw it "true" 55watts HID. You'll see though people clothes while waiting at red lights. Works but very harsh on the optic coating (not tested, careful with that idea)

See, you have no choice but to go for that DIY Bi-Xenon retrofit kit (clear lens and all). Literonniks are late 90's tech mate. You can post your current headlights in the Buy & Sell section today

Your ballast has ASIC digital chip technology. Very expansive. Feeling sorry for your loss
Old 12-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #25

And you also need an Illuminated Wind Deflector. Thank you
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #26

@ KevinH1990:

Litronic was first introduced in the Porsche 993. Litronic is a Bosch product. The electrical ballast was used in different cars - not only Porsche. Please check the Bosch parts number. If it is: 1 307 329 023 the Litronic ballast was used in the following cars:
Audi A8 D2 1994-1999
Audi TT 8N 1998-2000
BMW 3er e46 1997-2001
BMW 7er e38 1994-1998
Mercedes CL C215 1999-2002
Mercedes C W202 1993-2000
Mercedes S W140 1991-1998
Mercedes S W220 1998-2002
Mercedes SL R129 1989-2001
Mercedes SLK R170 1996-2005
Porsche 911 993 1993-1998
Porsche 911 996 1997-2002
Porsche Boxster 986 1996-2004
VW Bora 1998-2000
VW Golf IV-4 - 1997-2000

So maybe you can get a replacement part from another car that is a little less pricey than the Porsche OEM part.

I also would recommend to check ebay auctions. Sometimes people offer a complete oem conversion kit.

You also can check the Porsche Boxster parts catalog for all the parts you'll need for a complete Litronics conversion.

Regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hard to digest the fact that there is someone obsessed about headlights more than Charles and myself on this forum LOL
You guys are rubbing off on me. This started as a whim when I bought some damaged headlights, but it has turned out to be quite a nice upgrade to the car. I guess if I thought about it before I started I would have gone with the aftermarket system, but I'm too far down the road now.

I managed to find a controller on Ebay last night, (Control unit: Part number 00004490038)

So now all I need is 2 small plugs 2 (99965256822) and the wiring harness (99661298800).

It looks like the parts might be manufactured by Bosch, so I'll check Markus' suggestion and see it I can find the parts cross referenced from another manufacturer.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my spare litronic parts to finance this "obsession."
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/55179-litronic-headlight-parts-drivers-side.html#post429259
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
You guys are rubbing off on me.
Cuz we're jealous, and being jealous is perfectly legal last time I've checked LOL

I'll have a look with the pros locally if we can find your controller
Old 12-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #29

I find it hard to believe that any reputable seller would offer xenon "upgrades" to be installed in halogen lights, without projectors. All you get is a mess of light that will blind oncoming drivers and sooner or later, a policeman.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #30
Custom User Title Here

Garage
+1 Mitch.

And then to charge $199 for a $30 kit.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-23-2014 at 10:33 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #31

Quote:
I'll have a look with the pros locally if we can find your controller
You all have been a big help and I've enjoyed the having the opportunity to collaborate on this project. It's almost as much fun as having a Porsche buddy next door working with me.

If anyone can help, I have part 1 in this picture on its way. I just need the items labeled 2, 3 and 4.

Once I have those parts I won't bug anyone again about litronics.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #32

Quote:
I managed to find a controller on Ebay last night, (Control unit: Part number 00004490038)
This is not the Bosch parts number, this is the Porsche parts number. In general the Bosch parts number is below the Porsche sticker.

Do the parts you use belong to a 996, or a 986? And what model year? There are some slight differences.

Regards
Markus
Old 12-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #33

The driver's side (left) headlight is from a 99 Carrera (996). The passenger's side (right) is from a 2001 Boxster.

I did not see any major differences between the Boxster and Carrera headlight assemblies and most of the web sites selling the litronic upgrade packages show the same kits for both cars. For example, on Pelican's web site, the 996 kit is part number 000-044-900-41-OEM and the 986 kit number is 000-044-900-41-OEM.

Here's a link to the part I bought on Ebay: Porsche 911 1998 2001 Head Light Module | eBay

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 AM   #34

Hi,

i'm not talking about the headlights. I'm talking about height sensors and wiring. There are also ballasts with the same Porsche number but with different Bosch numbers available. I'm not shure that they work 100% perfect together, because the OEM wiring for both headlights is seriel, not parallel.

If you are looking for the Porsche part numbers for the parts on the picture, just take a look in the parts catalogue.

US: Porsche Original Parts Catalogue - Parts and Diagnostic Information - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Europe: Porsche Originalteile Katalog - Porsche Originalteile - Porsche Service - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Regards
Markus
Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #35

As I mentioned earlier, I found the control module on Ebay. I ordered the wiring harness today from ECS Tuning. Although this won't provide the auto-leveling function, it will provide the high-beam rotation.

I found someone selling the parts for the OEM system, but I cannot find instructions for the installation. In addition, he is selling the headlights, washers, sensors and wiring in a package and he indicates that he doesn't want to separate them. Unless I can sell what I have, that is a show stopper.

Maybe someday I'll find a part-out in my area with the factory set up and take the parts off so that I can figure out how to put them back on. For now, I'll have to settle for the more limited function.

Overall, I'm happy with what I have. Since I managed to sell my halogen headlights,my net cost is reasonable.

I probably won't receive my wiring kit and control module in time to install them during the holidays. I'll be tied up with work beginning Monday, so it may be late January or February before I can install them. Fortunately, I've found several write ups including the Porsche TSB, so I should have plenty of information to complete the project.

Since I purchased my headlights from damaged cars, I guess there is a chance that the motors could be damaged. However, I have a third motor in case I need it. That is one of the risks you take when you try to do this type of project on a budget.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #36

I installed the module and wiring harness today. I used the TSB and this write up: Skyler's Web Site

My litronics now work just like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syXUCtUiFWY&feature=youtu.be

It was a real "moment of truth" when I turned on the lights and flicked the high-beam stalk. When I consider that I put the system together as follows:

1. Two headlights from a wrecked Boxster - one had water damage
2. Third headlight from a wrecking yard - had a bad wiring harness
3. Ballast from eBay seller to replace the one with water damage
4. Control module from eBay
5. Wiring harness from ECS Tuning
6. Lot's of advice from Particleweave and Nine8Six
7. Hours of polishing headlight covers

I'm kind of amazed it worked on the first try.

When I started out, all I wanted was the clear covers so that I could de-amber my headlights. I guess I backed into a major project. Still, I'm very happy with the results and the costs were reasonable considering that I was able to sell my amber headlights.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #37

Garage
I got lucky... I bought a 99 base that has pretty much no options except the litronics. I didn't realize how much they were used until after we bought the car.
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
I got lucky... I bought a 99 base that has pretty much no options except the litronics. I didn't realize how much they were used until after we bought the car.
I wish I had been so lucky. The first owner of my car splurged on items like silver gauge faces, center wheel caps with painted crests and an alumna-look shift knob and brake handle. Factory litronics with the dynamic leveling system would have been much more functional and probably would have cost less than the shiny bits.

I guess all's well that ends well. I now have the shiny bits and the litronics. Although I don't have the factory leveling system which would be nice.

I'm thinking about adding the dynamic leveling system. This guy on Renntech
Litronic retrofit question - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Forums
claims to have done it, but he is a little short on the details. (I need detailed step-by-step instructions for my projects.)

However, other contributors seem skeptical of his achievement.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #39
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Nine8Six's comment has me confused

Both of my 2002's halogens are yellowed, pitted and have burned spots on the interior lenses. So, I'm looking to replace them and would prefer to install Litronics, if it's feasible.

But this comment casts some doubt on it:

Quote:
Lits, without the leveling sensors, are perfectly fine if they are meant for the low beam alone (e.g. city cars). If you are able to manually adjust them to the recommended height/aim they shouldn't blind incoming traffic. The high beam won't work indeed but still it gives the driver the impression that it does. Intensity doubles... and that seems to work for some.
Do the Litronic high beams work without the leveling modules or not? Sounds like they illuminate, so you get twice the output. Are the high beams not aimed higher. Does the rotation of the low beams give the long-distance illumination?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #40

There is only one Xenon/High Intensity Discharge bulb in each unit of the OEM litronic headlights. The high beam and fog lights have regular halogen bulbs. So, the high beam is just like it would be in your stock headlights. The Xenon bulb stays on when you flip on the high beams, so overall it is much brighter than the stock all-halogen units.

If you add the control module, you have an additional feature. The Xenon bulb rotates up when you turn on the high beam. So, you have an even brighter effect because the halogen and Xenon bulbs are both aimed higher.

I eventually added the control module to my car. You can see it in operation in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkfebCCf2Y

This shows the parking lights, Xenon startup with self-leveling and high beam turn on.