Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Help Diagnosing Ignition Problem

Hello all,

I am hoping to get some advice on what might be wrong with my ignition. Over the least few months I have noticed some difficulty in turning the key when starting the car, ive been able to jiggle it a little bit and get it to turn. About a week ago I was driving and when I went to turn the car off the key kept turning past where it is supposed to stop and I heard something break. Now the Key sits loose. After it broke I looked online and saw the ignition switch breaks often and is a cheap easy fix so I ordered a replacement ignition switch and replaced it. After putting in the new switch in a realize that is obviously not the problem. Has anyone seen this before? Does the entire ignition need to be replaced? The other weird thing is the first ignition switch I ordered did not fit. If you reference the instruction on Pedros Replace Ignition Switch the switch I pulled out of my car(2001) is supposed to only be on 2004 Boxsters and newer. Does this mean the ignition has already been replaced?

Video of Key in Ignition http://youtu.be/3fe57b6ryJ8

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can lend.

Thank you

Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

It sounds like your original switch assembly has been changed out for the later type.

The electrical portion of the ignition switch for a 2001 car should be #4A0 905 849 B coloured black - later switches are white and they are not compatible. It sounds like the later complete assembly (electrical switch and metal tumbler) has been fitted to your car.

I've never seen such a loose fitting ignition key, so I'm assuming the complete ignition mechanical + electrical assembly is faulty and needs replacing - a lot more $$ than just the electrical portion....
Old 12-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

similar problem with my E36

The shaft between the tumblers and the steering column broke...was a nightmare to get out and replace...I have never done it on a Boxster....but one day it waits for all of us.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
It sounds like your original switch assembly has been changed out for the later type.

The electrical portion of the ignition switch for a 2001 car should be #4A0 905 849 B coloured black - later switches are white and they are not compatible. It sounds like the later complete assembly (electrical switch and metal tumbler) has been fitted to your car.

I've never seen such a loose fitting ignition key, so I'm assuming the complete ignition mechanical + electrical assembly is faulty and needs replacing - a lot more $$ than just the electrical portion....
Hello and thank you for your response.

That is what i thought as well. If that is the case then this would be the second time the ignition is being replaced on a car with only 80K. Seems strange.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

========================

Last edited by woodsman; 12-08-2014 at 11:55 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
========================
Hi,

I took this video after I replaced the ignition switch.