Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Inexpensive Replacement Top

EBAY has some inexpensive tops in the $330-$350 range (plastic window). Has anyone here bought and installed DYI?

germaneighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaneighter View Post
EBAY has some inexpensive tops in the $330-$350 range (plastic window). Has anyone here bought and installed DYI?
Spend the extra $300 to get a quality top with glass that will fit properly. Too much labor involved to not do it right.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Run

I agree you can get a real canvas top for 700 ish. If you DYI get ready for a long weekend. And check the hardware that raises to top for wear or damage
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #4

I did the job this summer on a 2002 Boxster that we picked up. I ended up with the $599 Tony Robbins top from eBay with the glass window and it fit great. Study all the DIY articles, and like the other guy said prepare for a few hours of work, but it will be worth it!
Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

I did the glass window ebay cloth top from autotops direct back in June for $425. The top fits great and I'm very happy with it.

I am confident that the plastic window tops from the same vendor would fit just as well if you prefer he plastic window.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I did the glass window ebay cloth top from autotops direct back in June for $425. The top fits great and I'm very happy with it.

I am confident that the plastic window tops from the same vendor would fit just as well if you prefer he plastic window.
+1 on Auto Tops Direct. Same company as GAHH.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
I did the job this summer on a 2002 Boxster that we picked up. I ended up with the $599 Tony Robbins top from eBay with the glass window and it fit great. Study all the DIY articles, and like the other guy said prepare for a few hours of work, but it will be worth it!
I had a Tony Robbins glass window top on my Box for about 7 years before upgrading to the 03/04 Boxster Frame and Top. Never any issues with that top and it fit very nicely. They forgot to send me the service strap and I never noticed it. Called up and spoke to Mark Robbins himself and he overnighted the service strap to me. GAHH makes a good top but a little too pricey IMO and nice to know about Auto Tops Direct.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #8

I got a replacement top for my 2002 Boxster back in July. I think mine was also from auto tops direct. I got it off ebay with the plastic window for around $350 shipped. It is also the A5 German cloth which to me seemed identical to what came off the car. Took me about 16 hours from start to clean up. I do work slow though, always double and triple checking what I did. Whenever I rush I make mistakes. I spaced this project out over 3 days. If I had to do it again , I'm sure I could do it faster and better.

Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote