Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

silver car red hood

what would an arctic silver boxster with a red hood look like? cool or not?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

Last edited by jotoole; 11-06-2014 at 02:48 PM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

Well, it's got a red hood...
Old 11-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

quite the comparison field:

Boxster vs a long nose...
Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

It would look like a salvage yard hood, that the owner could not afford to have painted...big difference between a vintage 911 and a modern Boxster.

I love vintage 911s and Boxsters for what they are. Here's my early car...all one color.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

I think it would work if you were going for an Outlaw Boxster look on the whole car. Saying that, I'm not really sure what an Outlaw Boxster would look like. But I think done right, I could get into it. I've seen matte black and carbon fiber wrap on the hood of silver boxsters. Some look good, some not so good.

Mangus Walker has developed a pretty interesting multi-color Outlaw look with his early 911's and I think he's beginning to push into 911SC territory. Look at some of his cars for inspiration.

I'm having my Arctic Silver DE/AutoX Boxster upgraded this winter and it's going to sport a pair of Guards Red mirrors along with red GT3 style side stripes and wheels. Not an Outlaw look, but red definitely adds to a silver car.

Rick
Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Looking at a quick cut and paste, I think it could work (if it suits your taste), but I'd probably do the clamshell too. The interior, rollbar, and wheels will make a big difference in how well it all fits too.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
On the slippery slope

Garage
dont do it...

At the PCA club drive I did last weekend, someone had a black carbon fiber hood on silver car. That did not look so bad until he turned on the LED lights on the hood. It looked like KIT from Knight Rider with these side to side moving lights that also changed color from red to blue.
DISGUSTING on a Porsche
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
It would look like a salvage yard hood, that the owner could not afford to have painted...big difference between a vintage 911 and a modern Boxster.

I love vintage 911s and Boxsters for what they are. Here's my early car...all one color.

Very nice. Love the older 911's.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #10

thanks 78f350 - exactly what i was looking for. like redtele noted, i'm wondering about what an outlaw 986 would look like. everyone says that the 986 styling is a throwback to the 550, etc., so i'm looking at styling cues that riff on that: outlaw, magnus walker, old racing schemes. thinking lowered (done) black wheels (done) red hood and a red mobil pegasus on the fender.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #11

I think there is most definitely some kind of Outlaw look that could be done to a Boxster. The 550 heritage is there for sure.

Speedster humps!

Louvered front fenders

Like 78F350 said - you'd need to incorporate the red into the roll bar and either red or another color towards the rear of the car or the bottom - maybe sideskirts - maybe not.

You'd have to simplify the interior. Get rid of the high back seats and go w/ a GT3 seat or something of similar profile. Ditch the windscreen between the seats. Go with a GT3 console delete for the front, lower cubby boxes.

There are lots of tasteful ways to mod these cars w/out looking silly.

Who else has some ideas?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
what would an arctic silver boxster with a red hood look like? cool or not?

How do you feel about it? I say FTW on general opinion and go with what you want. Magnus builds his cars for himself and does not give to shyts about what the world thinks...and frankly most are in awe of what he does.

I think it is unique and something that stands out from the rest of the other Boxsters.

Do it and post up your results. Frankly I think it will kick azz!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Looking at a quick cut and paste, I think it could work (if it suits your taste), but I'd probably do the clamshell too. The interior, rollbar, and wheels will make a big difference in how well it all fits too.

Ouch.. my eyes.. my eyes!
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
I'm all for outlaw Boxsters, and I think a red hood (matte red in particular) on a silver car would look great. However, if the rest of the car is all stock, it might look out of place. The more stripped/ race prepped the car is, the better the aesthetic would be.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #15

Stripes?

TRK - you considering relocating the gas intake/cap on the front hood?

That's outlaw, no? Love those sharky fender look as well

Old 11-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #16

986 - I've thought about both. the centre-fill would be a LOT of work, however - relocate battery, completely redo the fill pipe (most likely abandon the oem exit on the tank and come out the top while trying to coordinate with the fuel pump location) and deal with all the purge valves and charcoal canister in the process.

the fender vents are also do-able. i'd located some inexpensive FG generic/universal hood vents of a dimension that would work, but uncertain if they could handle the curve of the fender. actually a functional mod, as it vents the fenders out the top instead of under the car - converts upforce to downforce.

otherwise, do the suspension and lower the car, do some exhaust and engine work, strip insulation and roof motors. delete AC. get some gt3 seats with harnesses (perhaps with tartan or houndstooth inserts) take the trim off the rollbar, get the the gt3 console delete piece. next step is the gt3 hvac unit which uses dials instead of electronics, and replace the stereo with a 3 gauge din panel (engine oil temp, engine oil pressure, transmission oil temp, vdo gauges). if you want to keep the stereo just run an ipod adaptor direct to the amplifier in the frunk. that should clean up the interior nicely.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #17

Still looks better than, say, a Mustang.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
986 - I've thought about both. the centre-fill would be a LOT of work, however - relocate battery, completely redo the fill pipe (most likely abandon the oem exit on the tank and come out the top while trying to coordinate with the fuel pump location) and deal with all the purge valves and charcoal canister in the process.

the fender vents are also do-able. i'd located some inexpensive FG generic/universal hood vents of a dimension that would work, but uncertain if they could handle the curve of the fender. actually a functional mod, as it vents the fenders out the top instead of under the car - converts upforce to downforce.

otherwise, do the suspension and lower the car, do some exhaust and engine work, strip insulation and roof motors. delete AC. get some gt3 seats with harnesses (perhaps with tartan or houndstooth inserts) take the trim off the rollbar, get the the gt3 console delete piece. next step is the gt3 hvac unit which uses dials instead of electronics, and replace the stereo with a 3 gauge din panel (engine oil temp, engine oil pressure, transmission oil temp, vdo gauges). if you want to keep the stereo just run an ipod adaptor direct to the amplifier in the frunk. that should clean up the interior nicely.
Mmm, you are a true King if you can make those vents thing on the box! Fenders are twisted on these... can't get the vents in a straight line as-on pic so luck with that workmanship if you ever tackle. Ouch!

I'd pay millions of whatever it needs to get that skillset :/

The Outlaw Box - I really like it. We need one TRK
Old 11-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Rennzenn

Garage
Quote:
986 - if you want to keep the stereo just run an ipod adaptor direct to the amplifier in the frunk. that should clean up the interior nicely.
I like the way you think:

In honor of outlaws, I've got Highway to Hell on the iPhone!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #20

Garage
While you've got the nibblers out you might as well cut some vents to evacuate engine heat out the top of the engine compartment.

IMO silver is best at showcasing a nice silhouette, adding other colors interrupts the visual flow of the silhouette.