Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Replace or Not Replace
Yes, I'd replace it 15 93.75%
No, I'd leave it and replace later 1 6.25%
Not sure. I'd check my horoscope. 0 0%
I'm lost - what is this about? 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

To Replace or Not to Replace

Last weekend, I had to replace the starter in my 996. "While I was in there", I thought I'd also replace the alternator-starter-battery cable. In order to replace the cable, the alternator needs to come out.

When I got the alternator out, it sounded like the video below (ignore the video, just listen to the sound). The bearing isn't good, but its not really bad either. As you can see from the video, I had to get up pretty close to record the sound. I couldn't hear anything when it was in the car. I decided to replace it but a few friends have said that they would have left it.

Would you have replaced it or left it until it squealed like a banshee?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-12-2014 at 08:52 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

After 23 years of flying military aircraft - I'm a big believer in preventive maintenance. If it's on it's way out, you might as well fix it now, before it strands you 50 miles from home on a Sunday afternoon.

Why take the chance?

Rick
Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Garage
If it was a Boxster I would definitely replace due to access difficulty. On 996 I might wait depending on several factors.

unrelated but I used to work on the flight line with F4 Phantom reconnaissance jets
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I hadn't done the squeal test on mine before watching your video. It's not as bad as yours, but I'm replacing it with the non-squealer now. Old one goes on a shelf for 'emergencies'.
Edit: I just told my wife about this. She said, "It's a Porsche. No Squeal."

25 years flying helicopters.

Last edited by 78F350; 11-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #5

I voted yes, if you are in there, a part is suspect, I would replace it. I would do a little comparison, between how much trouble it would be to get back into that part vs how much it costs. If the part is very hard to get to, like the coolant expansion tank, then I might pre-emptively replace it if I had the transmission down to do an IMS replacement. Something like an ignition switch, I would replace at the first sign of trouble because I wouldn't want to get stranded. Something like a broken microswitch in the passenger side door that requires me to lower the window a little before letting folks in and out, I have been holding off for the last two years because it is not that big of an inconvenience...

Here is a related scenario - I am going to go in soon and install an underdrive pulley. Will I do WP and Thermostat when I go in there? I don't have any record of it ever being replaced, but I don't have any leaking coolant either. I will probably wait to do the UDP until I don't have anything coming up in the next few weeks and take a look at the WP, see if there is any evidence of seepage, or any play in the pulley, and if there is any sign of anything I will replace. If no sign of trouble I will probably wait for another day.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote