Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #1

potential problems

since i am considering the purchase of a '97 Boxster, 44,500 miles, are there any other things that I should watch out for before committing to purchase? appreciate any help. thanks.

jr1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #2

I would NOT buy a 97. The car is underpowered and has its share of gremlins.

I would suggest at least a 2000, an S if possible.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #3

Brucelee is right. And buy the best car you can afford. You'll be glad later.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Is there a Porsche dealer in Guam?
No there isn't. That is the reason why the vehicle I am considering, a '97, is only one of the few Boxsters running around and for sale. And it kinda beats the risk of purchasing one from the US mainland and shipping it here.

I will try to follow the advice of this forum as I know you guys have experience with Boxsters.

We do have an auto shop that specializes in repair and maintenance of expensive european vehicles.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:43 AM   #5

Wink

"We do have an auto shop that specializes in repair and maintenance of expensive european vehicles."

Then I would have this shop check the car out PRIOR to purchase or you will get to be this guy's best friend and not in a way you will like!

Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #6

Do read my web links below as I own one of those first model year, early production boxsters from way back in 1997. I'd have waited and bought a 2000 S had I had more patience and cash.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #7

I myself own a 1997 boxster, I guess it's a miss or hit when it comes to engine failure. I still hear stories from this forum about people with their 1997's with 100k miles or so on original engine without major problems they encountered. I would definitely do a pre-purchase inspection from that independent shop if I were you. As for me, I did my own inspection when I looked at the car (very risky). I only asked the sales guy on where he usually park the car and he said it was where it was sitting at that time. It was negative on RMS leak. Took me quite sometime to look and feel for everything I can on the car. Everything looks perfectly ok, kind of like too good to be true on an 8 year old car. Got the car with 35K miles on it, drive it 2-3 times per week and it has been a year now without any problems. good luck with your purchase!
pecto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #8

On a 97 a leak down test and a compression test would be a must.

Also look for the dreaded oil leaks etc.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
On a 97 a leak down test and a compression test would be a must.

Also look for the dreaded oil leaks etc.
Yes I just read something about those oil leaks in a recent issue of SCI magazine.

The independent shop has some record of that vehicle. He knows that vehicle had problems with the top and the passenger key cylinder and that it doesn't need anything much except for a tune-up and oil change, based on his records. But he cannot say much because that vehicle also went to another independent shop that I don't really trust which is the shop that converted the top to manual and removed the guts of the power top mechanism. But he did advise me to negotiate with the seller and see if I can bring the car in for further inspection before purchase. And following this forum's advise, this is exactly what I will do. And will probably negotiate for $5k-$7K off the asking price to cover costs of the top and key cylinder repair. If I can get it for $10K-$14K, I guess it shoud be a deal.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #10

Wink

Good luck.

If the guy will not allow a PPI, that will tell you much.

I would walk if no PPI.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #11

why would someone make a motorized top manual..unless he did not want to pay for the repair..sounds suspect...
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
why would someone make a motorized top manual..unless he did not want to pay for the repair..sounds suspect...
Either he doesn't want to pay for it or that independent shop do not have the expertise or skill to repair it. But converting it to manual would also cost money. And if it were me, I'd rather use that money to fix the power top. So I think the latter reason is much more likely because they're idiots and f*cked up a couple of my Bimmers in the past. And the owner of the car probably doesn't know the existence of the "other" independent shop that I work with right now until after they converted the top to manual. As explained to me by the second independent shop, when the car was first brought to him, the power top has been converted to manual.