986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   2000 Boxster S rattle noise (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54551-2000-boxster-s-rattle-noise.html)

Einherjar 10-24-2014 11:28 AM

2000 Boxster S rattle noise

Just got my boxster less than a week ago. 2000 S. Yesterday morning I started it in the garage and noticed a loud rattle from the rear. Sounds identical to the YouTube link below. Any ideas?

2000 Porsche Boxster S Engine rattle noise: 2000 Porsche Boxster S Engine rattle noise - YouTube

jsceash 10-24-2014 01:14 PM

Sounds like a heat shield. Possibly on the mid pipe. do you have any way to get it up in the air, with a good pair of gloves and have some one rev it up. Carefully feel the shields

rfuerst911sc 10-25-2014 02:23 AM

Does the noise go away when you depress the clutch pedal ? If you can get the car in the air take a tape measure or piece of wire or string and go around the heat shield on the cats. Take that length to HD or Lowes or local hardware store and get a SS band clamp of correct size. Tighten around heat shield/pipe if the rattle goes away you know what it is. Not suggesting that as a long term fix just for diagnosis.

qstoria 10-25-2014 02:57 AM

I had a similar issue on my 04 and it was the heat shield. Had it welded up and that was that so I recommend investigating that first.

Einherjar 10-25-2014 07:26 AM

Roger that will check the heat shield out. The sound goes away once the car is warmed up...only makes the noise when cold. I tried to record it this morning but it went away as soon as I pulled camera out lol.

nicecar 10-25-2014 04:17 PM

it is not the heatshield

Pdwight 10-25-2014 04:56 PM

OK Nicecar

If you know what it is not....tell us what it is ??

My car does the same...is it the baffles in the muffler ??

Giller 10-25-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicecar (Post 422887)
it is not the heatshield

And you know this how? If not the shield, what else back there makes that sort of rattle?

Xpit77 10-26-2014 05:31 AM

My tech says it`s standard equipment on a Boxster. Mine had one too until I had the IMS done. Must of been something loose because it`s gone now.:confused:

BIGJake111 10-26-2014 08:43 AM

Mine has a cold rattle too but I have located it to a cat on the right, the sound is similar but a bit less mechanical. Good luck.

Nine8Six 10-26-2014 08:53 AM

^ feel you Jacob :/ had the same last year from a aftermarket 200cells cat

Would you believe if I tell you my indy wacked the thing with a heavy hammer and the gli-gling immediately stopped. He charged me a smile that's all. Luck with the technique if you can find the exact location where it rattles.... punch it good at that place

(Its dead anyway so not much to loose tryin.. buys you time that's all)

BIGJake111 10-26-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nine8Six (Post 422940)
^ feel you Jacob :/ had the same last year from a aftermarket 200cells cat

Would you believe if I tell you my indy wacked the thing with a heavy hammer and the gli-gling immediately stopped. He charged me a smile that's all. Luck with the technique if you can find the exact location where it rattles.... punch it good at that place

(Its dead anyway so not much to loose tryin.. buys you time that's all)

Thanks haha, I may have to grab a mallet, eventually you feel odd when you drive around sounding as if you were just married and carrying tin cans behind.

Nine8Six 10-26-2014 09:05 AM

Whack it and don't look back lol

Einherjar 10-26-2014 03:46 PM

Ive narrowed it down to the right side behind the muffler near the transmission as far as the noise goes...hope that doesn't mean IMS going bad. New problem though...now the noise is intermediate, meaning I can hear it with the top down while driving as RPM increases....eventually goes away but came back a couple times after idling at a red light.

BIGJake111 10-26-2014 03:49 PM

Is your oil topped off?

nicecar 10-26-2014 05:34 PM

I know because....

op said it goes away when it warms up, heat shield and muffler baffles increase with heat. Another posts indy said it is part of a boxster sound. I had a 04 turbo pull up in the lot next to me today ...same sound at idle,he did not know what it was when I asked him, Mine makes same sound intermittently at idle when hot. Couple years ago my indy said it was the muffler.? I replaced muffler and tightened heatshield for different sounds than the one on the op. So I know it is not heatshield because of the op recorded sound as well as he says it goes away with heat as well as I have LOTS of expierience with rattles in 4 years.sound persists after ims as well.How bout chain tensioners?

Pdwight 10-26-2014 05:44 PM

Mine goes away 5 seconds after the startup.....every Boxster I test drove did the same exact thing.....some of mine went away when I did the secondary Cat by-pass pipe install and did away with the secondary cats.

Einherjar 10-26-2014 06:32 PM

Im going to contact the mechanic that did the PPI tomorrow and see if he minds putting it up on a lift right quick...Ill let you all know what I find out if anything.

nicecar 10-27-2014 03:23 PM

I think secondary cats might be it when I think of location of noise.

Einherjar 10-27-2014 04:09 PM

Looks like possibly a cat...right one to be more specific. Have to throw it up on a lift to be sure.