Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Garage
2000 Boxster S rattle noise

Just got my boxster less than a week ago. 2000 S. Yesterday morning I started it in the garage and noticed a loud rattle from the rear. Sounds identical to the YouTube link below. Any ideas?

2000 Porsche Boxster S Engine rattle noise: 2000 Porsche Boxster S Engine rattle noise - YouTube

Einherjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Garage
Sounds like a heat shield. Possibly on the mid pipe. do you have any way to get it up in the air, with a good pair of gloves and have some one rev it up. Carefully feel the shields
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #3

Does the noise go away when you depress the clutch pedal ? If you can get the car in the air take a tape measure or piece of wire or string and go around the heat shield on the cats. Take that length to HD or Lowes or local hardware store and get a SS band clamp of correct size. Tighten around heat shield/pipe if the rattle goes away you know what it is. Not suggesting that as a long term fix just for diagnosis.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:57 AM   #4

I had a similar issue on my 04 and it was the heat shield. Had it welded up and that was that so I recommend investigating that first.
qstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #5

Garage
Roger that will check the heat shield out. The sound goes away once the car is warmed up...only makes the noise when cold. I tried to record it this morning but it went away as soon as I pulled camera out lol.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #6

it is not the heatshield
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

OK Nicecar

If you know what it is not....tell us what it is ??

My car does the same...is it the baffles in the muffler ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
it is not the heatshield
And you know this how? If not the shield, what else back there makes that sort of rattle?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 AM   #9

My tech says it`s standard equipment on a Boxster. Mine had one too until I had the IMS done. Must of been something loose because it`s gone now.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Garage
Mine has a cold rattle too but I have located it to a cat on the right, the sound is similar but a bit less mechanical. Good luck.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

^ feel you Jacob :/ had the same last year from a aftermarket 200cells cat

Would you believe if I tell you my indy wacked the thing with a heavy hammer and the gli-gling immediately stopped. He charged me a smile that's all. Luck with the technique if you can find the exact location where it rattles.... punch it good at that place

(Its dead anyway so not much to loose tryin.. buys you time that's all)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
^ feel you Jacob :/ had the same last year from a aftermarket 200cells cat

Would you believe if I tell you my indy wacked the thing with a heavy hammer and the gli-gling immediately stopped. He charged me a smile that's all. Luck with the technique if you can find the exact location where it rattles.... punch it good at that place

(Its dead anyway so not much to loose tryin.. buys you time that's all)

Thanks haha, I may have to grab a mallet, eventually you feel odd when you drive around sounding as if you were just married and carrying tin cans behind.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Whack it and don't look back lol

Last edited by Nine8Six; 10-26-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

Garage
Ive narrowed it down to the right side behind the muffler near the transmission as far as the noise goes...hope that doesn't mean IMS going bad. New problem though...now the noise is intermediate, meaning I can hear it with the top down while driving as RPM increases....eventually goes away but came back a couple times after idling at a red light.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

Garage
Is your oil topped off?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #16

I know because....

op said it goes away when it warms up, heat shield and muffler baffles increase with heat. Another posts indy said it is part of a boxster sound. I had a 04 turbo pull up in the lot next to me today ...same sound at idle,he did not know what it was when I asked him, Mine makes same sound intermittently at idle when hot. Couple years ago my indy said it was the muffler.? I replaced muffler and tightened heatshield for different sounds than the one on the op. So I know it is not heatshield because of the op recorded sound as well as he says it goes away with heat as well as I have LOTS of expierience with rattles in 4 years.sound persists after ims as well.How bout chain tensioners?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #17

Mine goes away 5 seconds after the startup.....every Boxster I test drove did the same exact thing.....some of mine went away when I did the secondary Cat by-pass pipe install and did away with the secondary cats.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #18

Garage
Im going to contact the mechanic that did the PPI tomorrow and see if he minds putting it up on a lift right quick...Ill let you all know what I find out if anything.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #19

I think secondary cats might be it when I think of location of noise.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #20

Garage
Looks like possibly a cat...right one to be more specific. Have to throw it up on a lift to be sure.