Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Drives with Scissors

Changing out Windshield on Boxster S

When we bought our 2002 Boxster S last month I let the wife drive it home and I followed . When we pulled in the driveway she got out and told me a rock hit the windshield and cracked it. Sure enough it was there and I had just inspected the vehicle exterior closely. It's about 2 inches long and I had already called and put it on my insurance.....but being jaded in the ways of the world I'm going to wait until December to report it to my Insurance company. My Questions is:

Would you use one of your typical windshield replacement firms to replace your Porsche Boxster windshield?

thanks for any answers and advice

TMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMass View Post
When we bought our 2002 Boxster S last month I let the wife drive it home and I followed . When we pulled in the driveway she got out and told me a rock hit the windshield and cracked it. Sure enough it was there and I had just inspected the vehicle exterior closely. It's about 2 inches long and I had already called and put it on my insurance.....but being jaded in the ways of the world I'm going to wait until December to report it to my Insurance company. My Questions is:

Would you use one of your typical windshield replacement firms to replace your Porsche Boxster windshield?

thanks for any answers and advice
A couple years ago I saw a few threads about poor fitting windshields, some due to thinner than stock replacements. I suggest googling this subject & send alot of time reading others experience. I believe the OEM glass is made by "Segurit"?

If I knew a source for a quality replacement installer for $350 range I would have one due to pits @ 113,K miles, but I am putting off this headache.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 10-07-2014 at 12:44 PM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

When I had mine done a few months ago, I took it to a place that had done a number of P-car windshields, although I don't know if it really makes any difference. I just wanted that little extra peace of mind.

Our public insurance paid for OEM, so here's the shocking total (Canadian pesos, of course.) The parts all came from the local P-car dealer.

The glass is Saint Gobain Sekurit, in my case with the sun-shade darkening at the top. There are seal and trim pieces required, which are apparently different between base and S. I also needed the ridiculously expensive "donut" for mounting the rain sensor.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Now is the time to reach out to your local PCA. They will have a good local recommendation. It cost me 495.00 to have a local glass man replace the one on my 2003.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Drives with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocartfe2 View Post
Now is the time to reach out to your local PCA. They will have a good local recommendation. It cost me 495.00 to have a local glass man replace the one on my 2003.
Thanks; I did join the local PCA....and a good friend of mine has been the treasurer there for the last 12 years. I will reach out to him and others in the club. There is no doubt that my windshield has pitting but nothing like the crack that happened.

TMass is offline   Reply With Quote