Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #1

Towing w/ A Dolly - Rear Wheels In Dolly OK?

I'm picking up my winter project in a few hrs - a 77 VW conv. It's about 80 mi away and I've rented a pickup and dolly to retrieve it. I see in the dolly manual it says to not pull a vehicle with the front wheels on the ground (or backwards).

So, do I:

1. Put the front wheels in the dolly and put the car in neutral?

2. Make sure the front wheels are straight and ignition locked and put back wheels in the dolly?

3. Something else?

A quick response would be appreciated.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

Garage
Speaking from when a conventional wrecker towed my piece of crap crown vic, they put the rear wheels on the dolly and "locked the steering wheel" by wrapping the seat belt around it and hooking it up so it couldn't turn. I dont think you can lock the ignition unless its a stick shift. You need it to be in neutral I believe. Rear wheels on the ground will do damage to your trans and drive unless you can completely disconnect those wheels like you can in a jeep.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #3

I went rears in because I was concerned about harming the manual trans. I locked the ignition with the wheels as straight ahead as I could and I used my old Club to lock the steering wheel in place. Worked like a charm. Drove back between 55-60mph.

Here are a few pics. It's kind of a cat in the sack as it doesn't run for long after it starts. Internet says that could be an air leak in a hose. But a solid rust free body that should shine up with a good polish.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
That brings back some memories. In '71 my dad's Ghia was rusting and he was looking for a new car. He almost bought a 914, but decided on the VW instead for the passenger space. By the late 70s, my brother and I shared it in High School, then off to college. In the early 90s my step dad did a complete restoration and took it to shows and parades. Finally sold out of the family in 2011 to a collector.

Old yearbook photo

After restoration

Last edited by 78F350; 09-29-2014 at 05:00 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #5

That's why I bought this one - it should be an easy flip because everyone's had a VW Beetle. My brother, sister, and I all learned how to drive a manual trans in our 63 Beetle. My brother bent every fender on it. Ahhh, the memories of scraping ice from the inside of the windshield.

I had the misfortune a cpl yrs ago of taking Punkin to a European car show and being slotted next to a 58 Bug. Everyone was fawning over it and telling stories of the Bugs they had. I was miffed that no one was interested in my Boxster.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

The safest method is front wheels go on the dolly (IAW the dolly instructoins) and then the rear wheels should be disconnected from the engine/transmission so they freewheel (usually by removing the drive shaft in a front engine/rear drive car). In a rear engine/rear drive car like the vdub, this would require full removal of the half-shafts or at least disconnecting the half-shafts at the outer CV joint and then tying them safely out of the way of the wheels.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-30-2014 at 11:59 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote