Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Dashcam with GPS or no GPS

Any suggestions?

Some of the bigger pros and cons are:

Pro of the GPS is I can prove speed if I get accused of speeding when I wasn't.

Con is the possibility of speed being cited as a contributing factor in an accident where I wasn't at fault but a little bit over the limit. I mean, lets face it... we all go above the speed limit at times.

rijc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

I have BlackVue dash cams in all four of my cars and two of my kids cars. All also have GPS. The mapping and speed are nice feature to have. I am not concerned with the documentation of the speed. I do speed at times, but within reason and at the right time and place.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
Pro of the GPS is I can prove speed if I get accused of speeding when I wasn't.
Do you really believe that a court is going to take the word of your equipment over that of the police?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Living in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP the DB
Do you really believe that a court is going to take the word of your equipment over that of the police?
Ummm...yes! Courts do all the time.
An unbiased piece of equipment is much more reliable than a human. Police can conveniently forget details or lie, but technology does not. Why do you think we need body/patrol car cams?

Last edited by tonichristi; 09-09-2014 at 08:54 AM.
tonichristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonichristi View Post
Ummm...yes! Courts do all the time.
An unbiased piece of equipment is much more reliable than a human. Police can conveniently forget details or lie, but technology does not. Why do you think we need body/patrol car cams?
I don't know about the state you live in, but on the east coast police speed monitoring devices (radar, vascar, cruiser speedometers, etc.) must be regularly tested and certified as to their accuracy, and the courts typically do not accept data from non certified devices, particularly if they are in contradiction to the "official" certified equipment............. And more than once, I have seen sharp defense attorney's fail to overturn the police equipment numbers in court.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Living in the desert.

Oh, I got ya. You were saying "over that of the police equipment", not the police themselves.
The "video" part of the dash cam could be useful against corruption.

Last edited by tonichristi; 09-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #7

In the UK, the Police cannot force you to incriminate yourself so cannot seize dashcam footage. Whether they do or not is a different matter.

I have a Mini 801 dashcam with GPS, all of my near accidents were at or below the speed limit by people doing the most stupid things or not giving way when they should. One day an idiot will get me and I will be glad of the camera evidence.

In the meantime, it makes a fab trackday camera.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #8

GPS for the camera is a double edged sword. It can prove your innocence if you tend to stick to the speed limits or incriminate your speed as a contributing factor to an accident.

If your a very careful slow driver, get the gps. If you drive like your at the Auto-X or time trials then its probably better to skip the gps.

Some day every car will have a black box that the police will be able to subpoena its data as evidence for or against you in court.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Oh, I got ya. You were saying "over that of the police equipment", not the police themselves.
The "video" part of the dash cam could be useful against corruption.
Oh, I see, and they can label it the "Paranoia" model..........
Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
Living in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP the DB
Oh, I see, and they can label it the "Paranoia" model..........
Were these women paranoid enough, or too much? Surely King Asshat has some knowledge for the rest of us?
Tell is how to lead our lives, Majesty.

Oklahoma cop charged with raping, abusing 6 women

Do you always have to act like such a self righteous douchbag?
How much does Durametric pay you to be their whore?

Last edited by tonichristi; 09-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Were these women paranoid enough, or too much? Surely King Asshat has some knowledge for the rest of us?

Oklahoma cop charged with raping, abusing 6 women
I'd start with learning how to read; none of the incidents in the article cited involved being stopped in a car...........................
Old 09-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Here we go, another noob running his mouth to a long-time member who should be shown nothing but the utmost respect.

Congratulations moron, you've just pissed off the guy that knows more about these cars than the rest of us put together. Good luck next time you need some help.

Last edited by Mark_T; 09-22-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #13

Garage
"You can see alot just by observing" Yogi Berra
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Living in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP the DB View Post
I'd start with learning how to read; none of the incidents in the article cited involved being stopped in a car...........................
Your point is moot. I was speaking of the fact that LEOs are not all angels and wanting to protect yourself is not paranoia. Obviously.
There are plenty of cases of police misbehaving during traffic stops.

MarkT - I am far from new. Though my current account reflects 15 months of membership, I have been posting on the forums for years (had to start a new account after a hiatus and forgotten password/defunct email address).
I am all too familiar with JFP, don't like him and give respect to those deserving of it. That guy is nothing more than a Durametric peddler.

"The guy that knows more about these cars than the rest of us put together?" Ha! What a joke. Sure, that applies if what you're asking about has to do with a diagnosis tool.
Would you like some lube to make the job easier? How do you type with yours in one hand and his in the other?

"An long-time member"? Who's the moron? Use proper English, please.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
Administrator

Let's get back on topic here please...

Dashcam with GPS or no GPS is the OP's question.
Mark at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You do not have to surrender your video, phone or GPS to the police. "I do not consent to searches."

But even the video by itself can be used to determine speed, the GPS would just make it easier.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote