Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

Tint Law

http://www.change.org/p/lapd-allow-tints/suggested_petitions
This is a link to a petition to abolish the tint law. I for one and all for it. I believe every citizen has the right to tint their own car if they wish. Not to mention the uv protection the provide. If you feel the same way sign the petition. If you don't, let me hear why. Let the debate begin!

818BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Be nice to get this changed. Always hated not being able to tint my front windows living in CA (born and raised) and got a number of fix it tickets. When we moved to AZ back in 2005 I was thrilled with being able to tint the front windows and no longer being required to have a license front plate on the front of the car. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Garage
No front license plate and 5% all windows, no ticket for it ever in the 4 years I've been doing it. Figure I'll rip the tint off on the spot if I ever get stopped, easy enough to redo
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS View Post
http://www.change.org/p/lapd-allow-tints/suggested_petitions
This is a link to a petition to abolish the tint law. I for one and all for it. I believe every citizen has the right to tint their own car if they wish. Not to mention the uv protection the provide. If you feel the same way sign the petition. If you don't, let me hear why. Let the debate begin!
If you carried a badge for a living, you would understand why tint laws need to exist.......
Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #5

Garage
As a police officer, window tint that is dark to the point where the occupants are not recognizable poses a serious safety risk to me on a traffic stop. Especially at night. Other than that I could care less.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Here in FL the tint can go down to 15% total for everything past the front doors, 28% for front doors. I prefer to keep all the windows the same darkness, so above legal for front all around; generally 30% non-reflective charcoal gray.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
As a police officer, window tint that is dark to the point where the occupants are not recognizable poses a serious safety risk to me on a traffic stop. Especially at night. Other than that I could care less.
Interesting...
Having been hit by a car (large Buick) while crossing the street in a well marked well lit downtown crosswalk, I have to disagree. Car had come to a complete stop, per stop sign. Approx. 6:00 A.M., windshield of car apparently fogged up, could not make eye contact with driver (a co-worker, it turned out, not impaired) but car just sat there as if waiting for me to cross. Sure enough, just as I'm right in front of car, driver hits the gas. I should have known better. Never again. Eye contact very important.

Last edited by jotoole; 09-04-2014 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #8

Personally, not a fan of heavy window tinting - mostly because I find it very difficult to see out at night through a heavy tint. Why you would want to endanger people's lives by tinting your windows is beyond me.

At the end of the day - this is a boxster forum. The UV argument is fairly invalid here, unless you are never putting your top down. If it's too bright, put on some sunglasses. To me it looks silly driving down the highway with the top down but black tinted windows rolled up. They just don't mesh.

IMO.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
The few times I've been pulled over I roll all my windows down and put both hands on the steering wheel were the officer can see them. They have a dangerous job and I rather not have them approach my car with their hand on their gun and it just a courtesy thing to do IMO. Plus I always just got a warning.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
The few times I've been pulled over I roll all my windows down and put both hands on the steering wheel were the officer can see them. They have a dangerous job and I rather not have them approach my car with their hand on their gun and it just a courtesy thing to do IMO. Plus I always just got a warning.
+1 I do this also. No need for any problems with a Cop having a bad day. NEVER got off with a warning though.