986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tint Law (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53943-tint-law.html)

818BoxsterS 09-03-2014 08:51 PM

Tint Law

http://www.change.org/p/lapd-allow-tints/suggested_petitions
This is a link to a petition to abolish the tint law. I for one and all for it. I believe every citizen has the right to tint their own car if they wish. Not to mention the uv protection the provide. If you feel the same way sign the petition. If you don't, let me hear why. Let the debate begin!

Porsche9 09-03-2014 09:29 PM

Be nice to get this changed. Always hated not being able to tint my front windows living in CA (born and raised) and got a number of fix it tickets. When we moved to AZ back in 2005 I was thrilled with being able to tint the front windows and no longer being required to have a license front plate on the front of the car. Good luck.

epapp 09-03-2014 11:12 PM

No front license plate and 5% all windows, no ticket for it ever in the 4 years I've been doing it. Figure I'll rip the tint off on the spot if I ever get stopped, easy enough to redo :D

JFP in PA 09-04-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS (Post 417107)
http://www.change.org/p/lapd-allow-tints/suggested_petitions
This is a link to a petition to abolish the tint law. I for one and all for it. I believe every citizen has the right to tint their own car if they wish. Not to mention the uv protection the provide. If you feel the same way sign the petition. If you don't, let me hear why. Let the debate begin!

If you carried a badge for a living, you would understand why tint laws need to exist.......

jdraupp 09-04-2014 02:45 AM

As a police officer, window tint that is dark to the point where the occupants are not recognizable poses a serious safety risk to me on a traffic stop. Especially at night. Other than that I could care less.

Deserion 09-04-2014 04:23 AM

Here in FL the tint can go down to 15% total for everything past the front doors, 28% for front doors. I prefer to keep all the windows the same darkness, so above legal for front all around; generally 30% non-reflective charcoal gray.

jotoole 09-04-2014 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 417116)
As a police officer, window tint that is dark to the point where the occupants are not recognizable poses a serious safety risk to me on a traffic stop. Especially at night. Other than that I could care less.

Interesting...
Having been hit by a car (large Buick) while crossing the street in a well marked well lit downtown crosswalk, I have to disagree. Car had come to a complete stop, per stop sign. Approx. 6:00 A.M., windshield of car apparently fogged up, could not make eye contact with driver (a co-worker, it turned out, not impaired) but car just sat there as if waiting for me to cross. Sure enough, just as I'm right in front of car, driver hits the gas. I should have known better. Never again. Eye contact very important.

Giller 09-04-2014 06:55 AM

Personally, not a fan of heavy window tinting - mostly because I find it very difficult to see out at night through a heavy tint. Why you would want to endanger people's lives by tinting your windows is beyond me.

At the end of the day - this is a boxster forum. The UV argument is fairly invalid here, unless you are never putting your top down. If it's too bright, put on some sunglasses. To me it looks silly driving down the highway with the top down but black tinted windows rolled up. They just don't mesh.

IMO.

Porsche9 09-04-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdraupp (Post 417116)

The few times I've been pulled over I roll all my windows down and put both hands on the steering wheel were the officer can see them. They have a dangerous job and I rather not have them approach my car with their hand on their gun and it just a courtesy thing to do IMO. Plus I always just got a warning.

rp17 09-05-2014 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porsche9 (Post 417211)
The few times I've been pulled over I roll all my windows down and put both hands on the steering wheel were the officer can see them. They have a dangerous job and I rather not have them approach my car with their hand on their gun and it just a courtesy thing to do IMO. Plus I always just got a warning.

+1 I do this also. No need for any problems with a Cop having a bad day. NEVER got off with a warning though.