Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
I need some help pricing my car for sale privately...

I have a 2001 Boxster base. 45,000 miles(73,000 kms).
The plusses:
4 new Michelin a/s tires
Ims Guardian installed
Everything works - a/c blows cold air, top goes up and down

The minuses:
Spoiler disabled
Code P1341 reset. No CEL light showing.
Indy shop diagnosis as follows:
Cam angle adjuster bank 1 and 2 are working in sync with same values
Cam position 1 deviation 9.86 degrees to crank
Cam position 2 deviation 6.25 to crank
Cam adjusters and solenoid working normal
Cam deviation does not change thru rpm band
Enging timing checked within manuf. specs.

Recommended ims replace with crank seal. So I am looking at $3k-5 minimum with clutch etc and am not willing to spend that as I want an suv.

Guidelines. A local 2001 Boxster base with similar miles is selling for $12000 and a 99 for 10000. These are Can $ so for US it is 10% less.
Boxsters sell used for more in this part of the world. US and Can members of this forum please give me your ideas of what I can list this for. Snow starts flying in about a month! Thanks in advance!
Guy

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

I am not good at pricing Boxsters. There are just too many of them out there are the prices are across the board. But, I have to give your props for laying out the issues of the car in black in white. To me that is worth some money right there. Class act. Good luck with the sale.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #4

You have a list of recommended work but in your "minus" list you don't say the main seal is leaking or that the clutch is going out. Combined with the IMS guardian not telling you that there's a problem I don't see it needing $3-5k in repairs (yet).

But yes, props for telling the new owner what they're getting. It's what I do so I can sleep at night.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

Always a tough call, because at the end of the day, it's all about supply and demand and I don't know the market in Edmonton. I would think being near the end of summer, demand is lower, so to sell, you will take a bit of a price hit.
I agree your 3-5K in repairs is certainly high. IMS is not a NEEDED repair - it's a piece of mind repair.
At the end of the day - how quickly do you want to move it? Price it at $10,000 and it'll be gone quick. Go higher, it will take a bit longer.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Sorry, you are not going to like my input. Looking at this from a buyers perspective, if diagnosed correctly, you basically have a car that need a new engine. As always there are the options of rebuild, used, etc. In my book the price is not much above salvage ($3-5K)
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Garage
Sadly I agree with runjmc... Unless you take someone for a sucker..... If you are upfront about the issues though, there are simply too many good boxsters out there. 7k USD max or it just won't sell
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Code P1341: Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit
Potential causes: Short to ground/Actuator faulty/Open circuit in wiring

This code is often a bad variocam actuator (or wiring problem). Otherwise, it seems to imply that the adjustor is maxed out and that is why the engine has such large cam deviations. Large constant cam deviations can be caused by worn adjuster paddles. That might be all that is needed.

With all of that being said, I don't understand why you'd need a IMS bearing replacement????? Or a clutch. Or a RMS.

I'd take it to another shop and ask them to isolate the cause of the P1341 and then re-evaluate your options.

Don't be the guy who gets one repair quote and then sells his car for a dime on the dollar because of the insane estimate. That is how I bought my 996 - the previous owner was convinced by his shop that it needed $4,300 in repairs. So I bought it super cheap and fixed everything myself for $600 in parts.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-26-2014 at 07:37 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
That shop is yanking your chain. He probably has kids who need braces.

If you want to sell it now, go to Edmunds.com and discover the realistic PP value in your area. Give it a good professional wash and wax, tell the prospective buyers it has 45k miles and is in good running order but do your own due diligence as the car is 13 yrs old and will be sold AS-IS with no warranty. This is absolutely fair and honest. You are not required to give a seminar on all the possible bad things that might happen in the future. He might get hit by a bus driving out of your driveway.

First reasonable offer: Take the money, hand him the keys, walk in the house. No more discussions.

Appraise a Used Car at Edmunds.com

Last edited by Topless; 08-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
If you want to sell it now, go to Edmunds.com and discover the realistic PP value in your area. Give it a good professional wash and wax, tell the prospective buyers it has 45k miles and is in good running order but do your own due diligence as the car is 13 yrs old and will be sold AS-IS with no warranty.

First reasonable offer: Take the money, hand him the keys, walk in the house. No more discussions.
Wow - no wonder I suck at selling cars.... How can someone say truthfully this car is in good running order? Wouldn't that be some level of fraud?
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Also: '09 Cooper Clubman....'90 Miata.... '80 MGB.... '76 TR-7
Ebell914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
Wow - no wonder I suck at selling cars.... How can someone say truthfully this car is in good running order? Wouldn't that be some level of fraud?
Clearly the car is in good running order and the entire shop estimate is "elective surgery" unrelated to the error code. Suggesting otherwise might amount to fraud though.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Clearly the car is in good running order and the entire shop estimate is "elective surgery" unrelated to the error code. Suggesting otherwise might amount to fraud though.
I respectfully disagree. Knowing there was a CEL and it has been reset, to state there are no known issues is false. While what the exact issue is may be up for debate, the fact remains, there is a known issue.

To the OP - i sure hope you are not going to take advantage of an unsuspecting buyer. Maybe if this were a BMW, then let the douche baggery commence..but this is a Porsche - we don't soak children with puddles
Previous: '71 914 2.2 - TX license plate: "E-GO"....'73 914 1.7....'74 914 1.8....'73 914 2.0 - Saturn yellow with all original 2.0 options- R.I.P..... '74 914 1.8 with 916 body kit.... '72 914 1.7 - my very first car
Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Garage
Tell them it runs great (which it does if I recall the threads) had a check engine light but it has not returned. If he gets a PPI then go from there. If not oh well and well see him on the forum.

Hope you're getting a new one
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Tell them it runs great (which it does if I recall the threads) had a check engine light but it has not returned. If he gets a PPI then go from there. If not oh well and well see him on the forum.
Ok, this I can understand....at least it is full disclosure.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I need some help pricing my car for sale privately...

The camshaft deviations mean that it needs new chain ramp pads. This is an easy fix if you're used to doing it. CELs come on on older cars for all sorts of reasons. Doesn't mean that you need a new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #16

10k or best offer. Tell people to come drive it first.

You "agree that it needs a new engine" bigjake?? I wouldn't listen to you as at over 1000 posts , you are still the biggest bull**** talker on this forum. Hope you are still enjoying your Boxster handout

Does the car run reliably or does it not for being 14 years old? Let the buyer do their own PPI if they want , and be honest if people ask you any questions.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Knowing there was a CEL and it has been reset, to state there are no known issues is false. While what the exact issue is may be up for debate, the fact remains, there is a known issue.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No one is suggesting that there are no known issues (your words not mine). 13 year old cars always have an issue or two. My car has had a dozen CELs over 9 years of ownership, 50k miles, 100+ track days, and all were minor and cost little or nothing to repair. I don't view the CEL as a sign of death or disease. Just a highly sensitive indicator that something needs attention.

If a car is being sold AS-IS the seller makes no warranty or representation that the car is flawless or AS-NEW. It is simply a used car that runs well. A wise buyer understands this and investigates to satisfy himself that the car will or will not meet his needs.

For me, a CEL including this one is a relatively minor maintenance issue that falls well within the scope of "good running order" and would not deter me as a buyer. It may simply be that a mouse chewed the sensor harness, grounding it temporarily, tripping the CEL. It happens. We don't know the answer at this point but this car certainly doesn't have $3500 worth of imminent repairs needed to meet the standard of "good running order". It runs just fine.

YMMV
Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
Thanks everybody for your help. I put an ad in the internet yesterday and the prospective buyer came over in the evening and we shook hands on the deal. He is supposed to be paying for it today.

My approach was honesty and I showed him the latest diagnosis. I got close to my asking price. I believe in being honest and selling the car as is. I did not want to misrepresent or deceive the buyer.I do not want a brick thrown through my window at 3 in the morning.

I certainly agree that an indy trying to get me to go for a new ims, rms etc would not necessarily solve the problem. As mentioned above it could need chain guide replacement but I was not willing to put any more $$$ into an old car.

This has been a fun car over the past 3 years and I would not have missed the experience. However it is time to move on, winter is coming and we need an suv.
I thank you all for your help and advice over the past three years. You guys are great!
Guy.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Thanks everybody for your help. I put an ad in the internet yesterday and the prospective buyer came over in the evening and we shook hands on the deal. He is supposed to be paying for it today.

My approach was honesty and I showed him the latest diagnosis. I got close to my asking price. I believe in being honest and selling the car as is. I did not want to misrepresent or deceive the buyer.I do not want a brick thrown through my window at 3 in the morning.

I certainly agree that an indy trying to get me to go for a new ims, rms etc would not necessarily solve the problem. As mentioned above it could need chain guide replacement but I was not willing to put any more $$$ into an old car.

This has been a fun car over the past 3 years and I would not have missed the experience. However it is time to move on, winter is coming and we need an suv.
I thank you all for your help and advice over the past three years. You guys are great!
Guy.
In the end, the buyer and the seller have to be happy, glad it worked out. Good luck with the SUV and winter (I sure don't miss winter, I am originally from Wisconsin) Take care
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #20
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Be sure to send the buyer this way (to the forum). In my short time here the community has been invaluable.
Good for you being clear and honest about the car. /respect

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote