Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Picked up my first Boxster, going to be busy

I picked up my first Boxster today. A black '99. I know that all of the advice on buying a Boxster says it is worth the money to buy a well maintained and documented car and always have a PPI done. I think that's great advice.

...my life would have been a lot easier if I regularly followed good advice. Instead I have ditched 'easy' and had a colorful life with many rich experiences and plenty of bumps and bruises.

My 'new' Boxster: I found it listed for $5k on Craigslist. The seller had just lowered the price a few hours earlier. When I called, he said it was most likely already sold. He had decided to trade it for another car. When I said, “I can bring cash and meet now.” He said, “Where can we meet.” I expected it to be a bit distressed, but he said it runs great and the only issue was the top not opening. Needless to say, he remembered a few more issues as we looked it over.

Good:
Runs and drives well.
Plenty of tire left, even wear.
Perfect seats, and dash.
Recent top, with a good window.
Good A/C.
Toolkit, jack, and spare all good.

Bad:
1 key, with a broken remote.
No manuals or documents
Clamshell is stuck (not quite all the way down) on the driver's side.
There was a small stone chip in the windshield. As soon as I got home, sitting in the driveway checking out the car, it cracked and ran 18” across the base of the windshield.
Minor hail dents, misc scratches and chips, front bumper cover torn on the bottom from a curb.
Headlights hazed.
Front rotors are pretty worn, but decent pad left.
Right tie rod end seems to have a little play.
Windshield washer tank leaks.
Horn was disconnected. Random “beep, beep” when plugged back in.
Cruise control inop.

I'm sure that the following days will add more to both lists.

Thank God, and thank you, for all the DIY tutorials and information here. By the time I get it all fixed up, smooth and shiny, I should know this car pretty well.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Awesome How many miles?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #3

Sounds like fun.

No better way to learn how to work on the car than to get dirty, bust a few knuckles, and work on the car.

My favorite Boxster is my silver/red 2000 that I'm constantly working on to improve.

Enjoy, and don't give up when it gets frustrating!

Rick
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

This is like marrying a stripper you met in a bar in Vegas. Could be fun, but will most likely cost you an arm and a leg if you intend to stick around.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #5

Owning a Porsche is like dating a Super Model, you know there will be a LOT of up keep but you accept that because they are so much FUN to ride.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks for the replies. Today I'm going to take the buffer to the headlights and see how it goes. Ordering some rotors/pads, and seeing about the windshield at a local shop. Messed with the top for an hour this morning without much progress. Taking it slow, so I don't make it worse. It has just under 140k miles on it.

Somehow the comments from Perfectlap and gmboxster remind me of my first wife: It was great for a while, but like a rollercoaster, no matter how fun it is at the start, you can only ride it for so long. Eventually you just want to get off.

Just purchased along with a coffee. Ready to drive home:

Ready for the Harbor Freight buffer:
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Welcome!

You should get PPI done (now a post purchase inspection) as it should let you know what service may be needed

If you don't have service records, get a full service done ASAP especially changing OIL and inspecting filter ASAP

Since you are replacing the pads and rotors, you should probably do a full flush and fill as well. Be sure to use only Porsche approved fluids

Lots of great info here and plenty of people eager to help you

If you maintain it, you are less likely to have to service it

and of course, DRIVE IT!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #8

here's a video on restoring headlights from Chemical Guys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQEHhxXYoc
Some Menzerna and a cutting pad on your orbital buffer should make that black paint look new in a few hours.
Griot's Garage leather cleaner or 1Z (from autogeek.net) works well on Porsche leather.

working brakes are good too...

don't get attached to this thing.... it probably has a scary past. Just keep her shiny and adequately running, maybe you can get some profit on the flip towards a Boxster with a more transparent history. Porsche mechanical parts are expensive and that's assuming you're doing all your own repairs.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Garage
Lots to do

Try toothpaste to do the highlight lenses.
Google clean your headlights with toothpaste.
I have also used Mothers Mag Polish on a damp pad also.

Enjoy the Porsche,

Jinx:dance:
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #10

Garage
Headlights are coming along well. I'm going to have to replace the bottom corner piece on one for the small cracks.
I popped open the engine cover and found about a 1/2 acre of central Oklahoma dust in there. Blew out the filter and I'm going to see what the locals offer for a replacement.

Can I safely rinse down the engine with a mild cleaner and low pressure water?

I got a full set of buffer pads from Chemical Guys on Amazon. Good stuff, it made my first DIY car paint job actually look good.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Headlights are coming along well. I'm going to have to replace the bottom corner piece on one for the small cracks.
I popped open the engine cover and found about a 1/2 acre of central Oklahoma dust in there. Blew out the filter and I'm going to see what the locals offer for a replacement.

Can I safely rinse down the engine with a mild cleaner and low pressure water?

I got a full set of buffer pads from Chemical Guys on Amazon. Good stuff, it made my first DIY car paint job actually look good.
I like your enthusiasm Take a look here for some insight on cleaning your engine.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/44798-cleaning-engine-question.html

Enjoy your new ride!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #12

78F350,

Where in Oklahoma are you? If you're near OKC, and you start looking for used parts, Oklahoma Foreign is on I-35, just on the north end of Moore, east side of the road. They have a bunch of early 986 stuff. I've been using them for Porsche parts since the late-80's. Nice guys and very reasonable prices on parts.

For maintenance that's over your head, check out Dumonts, near Bricktown in OKC. They are an outstanding independent P-car repair shop. Michael and his family have been in business for many years.

Have fun - nothing wrong w/ spending some dollars and some sweat equity on a hobby.

Rick
Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #13

Very cool. I would recommend the book "101 Project for Your Boxster". With that may miles there is a ton of stuff to do! Enjoy.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #14

As said before, you have a great attitude. I sense that you know what you've bought and are looking forward to the challenge ahead of you. It's hard to believe you bought a RUNNING Porsche for $5000 US! As you may know, you've bought one of the most agile road cars ever built. The brakes and steering are still world-class to this day! Enjoy.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #15

Garage
Some final notes for my intro thread. I'll start a new thread with future issues.

I love the exhaust note accelerating between 5000-6000 rpm. (Even better with the new air filter in.)
I can't wait to find a place where I can really throw this thing into some corners.
It is not going to be a show car or a beater. Its a fun car to drive and enjoy without worrying about a new scuff on the paint or scrape on a wheel.
The car came with Led Zeppelin 'Mothership' in the CD player. One of my favorite albums, well worth the $5k. :dance:
Thanks for your help and welcome,
~Jon
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Some final notes for my intro thread. I'll start a new thread with future issues.

I love the exhaust note accelerating between 5000-6000 rpm. (Even better with the new air filter in.)
I can't wait to find a place where I can really throw this thing into some corners.
It is not going to be a show car or a beater. Its a fun car to drive and enjoy without worrying about a new scuff on the paint or scrape on a wheel.
The car came with Led Zeppelin 'Mothership' in the CD player. One of my favorite albums, well worth the $5k. :dance:
Thanks for your help and welcome,
~Jon
check out the local chapter of PCA. many of them have back road tours as well as Driver Education (DE) and Autocross (AX). If they have a Performance Driving School (PDS) even better

Also if you need a manual and can't find a download link, PM me and Ill send you a link

$5k, wow, what a deal for a working car. You can find rollers for that much
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

I just bought my current Boxster with the remote taped together and it turned out he had assembled it wrong when putting in the new battery. If that sounds like your problem just look it up. Mine snapped together like new once it was done right. Good luck, I had fun cleaning up my 02 this summer.
Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Righteous score man. We all win.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #19

I laughed the first time someone told me to use toothpaste on headlights, since a friend and just shown me how to use his three step 3M kit. A few months later I went to sell my Subaru and the headlights were really bad. I had nothing to lose so I tried it.

One step with a rag. Works perfect. I'll never buy a kit to do a headlight job.

Moving on to your acquisition, I'm in the same category as you in that I didn't find a pristine example and have a PPI done. Instead I got a very good deal (not $5k, but I don't feel ripped off either), with plenty of room for me to update and learn. It may be some risk, but someone has to buy those non-pristine cars and get them road worthy. If you're a competent mechanic then an engine full of metal chips is about the only serious buzz kill waiting in the shadows.

Wayne's book is a fantastic way to get acquainted with the unique nature of the boxster. I don't find it intimidating to work on anything outside of the long block - you just have to get used to doing everything from underneath the car (when I first got the 101 projects book I wondered why the first project was how to jack your car up but now I know).

And yes, life above 4,000 rpm is indeed really fun.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Horn was disconnected. Random “beep, beep” when plugged back in.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/1728-horn-problem/?hl=horn

I'm working on the same problem.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote