Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #21

Garage
When I got my 2002, it was a month or two before I lucked out and tracked down much of the service records. In that time I changed oil, tranny, brake+bleeding, checked air filter. All piece of mind stuff. And not expensive if you DIY.

Congrats on your new find.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #22

I bought my 2000 S just at 130k miles last August. Now has over 140k. I changed my own oil at 10k miles and the filter was very clean.
It's been bliss with some minor repairs. Don't let some folks here scare you about the 'unknown' history of your car. Drive it and love it. You can afford to at the bargain price you picked it up.

edit: I'd like to add that I bought the first boxster I drove in my price range, without a PPI. It's just a car.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #23

Welcome to the forums! You're story sounds IDENTICAL to mine(also black '99 boxster) down to the chip in the windshield( also worn rotors, hazy lights, top problems, broken horn, minor cosmetic issues). It's sounds like a big "to-do" list but it makes learning the car that much more enjoyable.

A couple tips regarding the issues: the haze on the headlights seem to be pretty common and easily restorable given the inside of the lense are ok, my top problem just ended up being the microswitch in the top window pillar where the top latch locks, the broken horn on mine happened to be the airbag retaining frame springs which collapsed(ended up piecing together a 3 spoke and bought a new retaining frame kit for $90 from porsche), the cosmetic stuff is pretty self explanatory a good wash claybar and detail brought the shine back(along with 2 days of paintstaking paintless dent removal). Overall, hopefully you grow to love the car the more you learn it, as I did. These cars are truely amazing ! Happy motoring and hope some of these helped you a bit

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
I bought my 2000 S just at 130k miles last August. Now has over 140k. I changed my own oil at 10k miles and the filter was very clean.
It's been bliss with some minor repairs. Don't let some folks here scare you about the 'unknown' history of your car. Drive it and love it. You can afford to at the bargain price you picked it up.

edit: I'd like to add that I bought the first boxster I drove in my price range, without a PPI. It's just a car.
I agree. enjoy it!
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #25
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's an update since the thread came back up:
I am enjoying driving and improving it. I would have made an extra lap of the town on the way into work this evening, but I was running late.

The windshield is replaced. I got the new rotors and pads, then realized I should paint the calipers while I'm at it. Now I'm waiting on caliper decals and eBay center caps before I do the brakes. Going with gloss black rotor hats and yellow calipers.

The top is going to need a new cable and gear. I've got it set to raise and lower manually for now.

Question: I found out that the cracks in the bumper were mostly just on the surface from an old spray-on protective coating. Is there a way to strip that off easily? solvent?

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote