View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Picked up my first Boxster, going to be busy

I picked up my first Boxster today. A black '99. I know that all of the advice on buying a Boxster says it is worth the money to buy a well maintained and documented car and always have a PPI done. I think that's great advice.

...my life would have been a lot easier if I regularly followed good advice. Instead I have ditched 'easy' and had a colorful life with many rich experiences and plenty of bumps and bruises.

My 'new' Boxster: I found it listed for $5k on Craigslist. The seller had just lowered the price a few hours earlier. When I called, he said it was most likely already sold. He had decided to trade it for another car. When I said, “I can bring cash and meet now.” He said, “Where can we meet.” I expected it to be a bit distressed, but he said it runs great and the only issue was the top not opening. Needless to say, he remembered a few more issues as we looked it over.

Good:
Runs and drives well.
Plenty of tire left, even wear.
Perfect seats, and dash.
Recent top, with a good window.
Good A/C.
Toolkit, jack, and spare all good.

Bad:
1 key, with a broken remote.
No manuals or documents
Clamshell is stuck (not quite all the way down) on the driver's side.
There was a small stone chip in the windshield. As soon as I got home, sitting in the driveway checking out the car, it cracked and ran 18” across the base of the windshield.
Minor hail dents, misc scratches and chips, front bumper cover torn on the bottom from a curb.
Headlights hazed.
Front rotors are pretty worn, but decent pad left.
Right tie rod end seems to have a little play.
Windshield washer tank leaks.
Horn was disconnected. Random “beep, beep” when plugged back in.
Cruise control inop.

I'm sure that the following days will add more to both lists.

Thank God, and thank you, for all the DIY tutorials and information here. By the time I get it all fixed up, smooth and shiny, I should know this car pretty well.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote