Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Garage
First Day Back to School!

Stepped through the front door a junior today. This was my first chance to really gather opinions on the new car and apparently color and a hardtop is everything. Before people claimed I drove a girl convertible now people claim "when do I get to drive that lambo?" Oddly enough the last car was a mean triple black. Speed yellow comes across as more exotic I guess haha. Everyone loves the litronics and the yellow seatbelts and stitching. Personally though I am just enjoying the 6 speed as apposed to my 2.5 tip. Very glad to be proficient with the gears now ( I still avoid hills though.) Happy motoring to the rest of you, seems the older the guys are on this forum the more youthful they act (in a good way.)

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
have a great year and avoid big red pickups

My younger son is starting his Jr year as well and would love be driving a Boxster instead of his C70 convertible

Don't worry about hills. Let the clutch out slowly with your foot on the brake and as soon as you feel it start to engage, blip the gas, then let the clutch out as you give it more gas

You can always use the hand brake as well (although that's for girls )
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
have a great year and avoid big red pickups

My younger son is starting his Jr year as well and would love be driving a Boxster instead of his C70 convertible

Don't worry about hills. Let the clutch out slowly with your foot on the brake and as soon as you feel it start to engage, blip the gas, then let the clutch out as you give it more gas

You can always use the hand brake as well (although that's for girls )

That is my exact opinion on the hand break when my father suggested it haha. The slopped driveway makes for great practice. Found a perfect spot near all the teacher parking to back in this year as well.

Wish your son to a great year as well, and a convertible styled by piniferina, that's pretty close to a Ferrari if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

I had one start today and my girlfriend had 2. Once the parking lot settles down her daughter wants me to pick her up in the Boxster. I offered to take her in the morning but it will be greater visibility in the afternoon

Have a great year!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

When I started my junior year I was sporting a 1962 VW Beetle, black with a red interior, a sunroof and a BAJA decal down the side.

No one asked to drive my ride...

Now I'm sporting a 1999 996, black w/ a red interior, a sunroof and CARRERA 4 across the deck lid. I guess I'm slowly moving up in the world...

Hope your year is a great one!

Rick
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
That is my exact opinion on the hand break when my father suggested it haha. The slopped driveway makes for great practice. Found a perfect spot near all the teacher parking to back in this year as well.

Wish your son to a great year as well, and a convertible styled by piniferina, that's pretty close to a Ferrari if you ask me.

Yes, the C70 is a pretty nice car. Doesn't have the performance of the Boxster, but it does have a useful back seat
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Don't flaunt it Jake! But enjoy.
And that's B.S. about not using the hand brake (not hand break ), and it being "for girls." Sexist too! Try not using it when starting out on a steep hill. By the time you switch from the foot brake to the throttle, you'll have rolled backwards 3 feet!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Don't flaunt it Jake! But enjoy.
And that's B.S. about not using the hand brake (not hand break ), and it being "for girls." Sexist too! Try not using it when starting out on a steep hill. By the time you switch from the foot brake to the throttle, you'll have rolled backwards 3 feet!
Don't worry they say Lamborghini I say mid engine miata. However, to my knowledge it is actually illegal to do anything but the handbrake in GB. Despite this stupid teen will be a stupid teen and has to prove to himself that he can do it without aid haha!

And thanks to all for the well wishes.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
When I started my junior year I was sporting a 1962 VW Beetle, black with a red interior, a sunroof and a BAJA decal down the side.

No one asked to drive my ride...

Now I'm sporting a 1999 996, black w/ a red interior, a sunroof and CARRERA 4 across the deck lid. I guess I'm slowly moving up in the world...

Hope your year is a great one!

Rick
Similar experience here. In a school where one kid had a brand new, first model year 78 RX-7, another a new Prelude, many with Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Challengers, even Accords, Civics, etc., I drive up in ... a 72 Mercury Colony Park wagon. Replete with faux wood siding.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #10

Garage
Have a great year in school and park away from your friend, and others to keep the door dings away! This has a secondary effect called a little extra exercise!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #11

Garage
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408459485.867864.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  438.8 KB
Found a perfect spot!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #12

That is one awesome looking car, and I'm not just saying this because it looks exactly like mine! LOL
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #13

A great sunroof

Last edited by jotoole; 08-19-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

For those of you just joining us by 'back at school' and junior year the OP is referring to high school

Jake yellow in a high school parking lot? I hope you added video surveillance from inside the car this time!!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

Looks like the best parking spot possible. Hopefully you won't get hit by any runaway wheelchairs !
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Teddyonine

Garage
Have a great year Jake. Love that yellow- reminds more of my 75 Rabbit I drove my junior year, right up until the football team picked it up and hid it somewhere- never did find that car.
Teddyonine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #17

I'm suprised you didn't have 20 cars parked next to you when you got back to your car that day. Happens to me ALL the time. I think thats a Porshe rule that I read somewhere... smh
Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I'm suprised you didn't have 20 cars parked next to you when you got back to your car that day. Happens to me ALL the time. I think thats a Porshe rule that I read somewhere... smh

This generation is lazy, no one wants to back in or back out of a spot haha. So they all gravitate to the rows so they can pull through.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

Should have established a precedent by skipping day 1. Then they know what to expect.

I mean, what are they really going to teach you that you can't look up or ask on this site if you wanted to know anyway?? Do something more productive. Mod your car at a buddies garage, cruise, get a job for cash for mods, whatever!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Should have established a precedent by skipping day 1. Then they know what to expect.

I mean, what are they really going to teach you that you can't look up or ask on this site if you wanted to know anyway?? Do something more productive. Mod your car at a buddies garage, cruise, get a job for cash for mods, whatever!

What do you think I am doing right now . (I actually have 3 free periods due to an awkward schedule.) really would be nice though if they had more life skills classes.