Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Hawaiian Driver

Two Quuestions: Sun Visors/Tranny Fluid

The two sun visors are fragile. The mirror flaps are barely holding on and the side that faces upwards towards the sun are showing signs of aging. Any suggestions? I assume new ones are rather expensive.

Second question, my car has a six speed manual transmission and I want to change the fluid. I always drive in a warm climate, what would you suggest, brand and weight?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Some do a sun visor delete.

I'd just like to paint over the giant warning labels on each. (Airbag)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #3

Re: Trans oil: Stick with the Porsche oil. I did Mobil 1 75W90 last year and it was a disaster. I was double clutching 2nd gear for the first 20 minutes and shifting across the entire range was difficult. Went back to the Porsche oil and it was night and day.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #4

I need to do this soon, from what I have read most are using Swepco 201 Gear Oil, 80/90 for their 6S gear box. About 65 bucks for a gallon container
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I need to do this soon, from what I have read most are using Swepco 201 Gear Oil, 80/90 for their 6S gear box. About 65 bucks for a gallon container
I'll sell you mine for $30, only used for 30 miles.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

Sunset Porsche sells the Porsche lube for $27 a quart.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #7

Swepco

So this does not work ???? , I thought it was the go to lube for the 6 speed gearbox
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Some do a sun visor delete.

I'd just like to paint over the giant warning labels on each. (Airbag)
Tim - check eBay. I've seen a guy that makes a sticker that matches the texture of the visors that goes over the sticker. Sounds kinda goofy, but I've read several different guys say it's pretty slick.

It's worth looking at...

edit: here they are:
Porsche Sun Visor Cover UPS Decals 911 Boxster Cayman Carrera 997 987 986 996 | eBay

Last edited by RedTele58; 08-13-2014 at 05:49 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Garage
I replaced my fluid with Swepco. It is very difficult when cool. 2nd gear is very very tricky. Often I just go 1st to a gentle 3rd for the first 5-10 minutes in the car.

I will say, once everything is warmed up, the Swepco fluid performs very well. Extremely smooth shifts. No issues with 2nd.

That said...I'm going to do some more reading on this and replace the Swepco with something that is more friendly when cool. Probably within the month before fall arrives. Maybe OEM, maybe something else.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Driver View Post
The two sun visors are fragile. The mirror flaps are barely holding on and the side that faces upwards towards the sun are showing signs of aging. Any suggestions? I assume new ones are rather expensive.
You can order the mirrors only. They'll "pop" out with a trim removal tool. Mirrors w/ no light is cheap and easy to replace, lighted are a bit pricier and you have to be able to unsolder/solder the wiring.

unlighted - European Vanity Mirror Lid - non-illuminated:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

lighted - European Vanity Mirror Lid - illuminated:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

Rick
Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Major score!!!!

Thanks! Those giant white, yellow & red warning tags detract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Tim - check eBay. I've seen a guy that makes a sticker that matches the texture of the visors that goes over the sticker. Sounds kinda goofy, but I've read several different guys say it's pretty slick.

It's worth looking at...

edit: here they are:
Porsche Sun Visor Cover UPS Decals 911 Boxster Cayman Carrera 997 987 986 996 | eBay
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
So this does not work ???? , I thought it was the go to lube for the 6 speed gearbox
One thing is for certain: If you go with the Porsche oil, you won't have any issues.

FYI, when I had the aluminum cover off the car, I marked a spot directly under the drain plug (this is for the 6-speed) and used a hole saw to put a 1 1/2" hole through it. Took all of 3 minutes to do. Now I can change the gear oil without removing anything but the two plugs. Going from Mobil 1 back to Porsche oil was a breeze.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #13

Heck I changed the oil when my tranny was out of the car for an IMSB installation. Very easy to change with the tranny up on some blocks all by itself. For a 5 speed you have to get that crazy M16 tamper-proof triple-square bit.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Thumbs up Visor label delete...

Just received and installed the stickers/decals to cover the hideous warning labels on my visors. The instructions were fool proof and installation was a snap. The end result is perfect. Well worth the $10 plus postage from Canada. They are easily found on EBay.
JVM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #15

I bought those cover-up stickers off ebay (from Canada) a few months back and they were easy to install and look great.

I also replaced my driver side illuminated mirror cover (aka flapper) with the cover off a new (bought from Pelican) non-illuminated mirror assembly. To remove the cover, I cut the left pivot post. The cover is installed on the old illuminated mirror by laying it flat and pressing it down until it snaps over the pivots on the old mirror (pivots on old mirror need to be intact).