Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Porsche designed the IMS bearing.........'nuff said for me. There are better oils than Mobil 1.
Porsche designed the entire car yet you still drive one. Using that same logic, there are better cars than Porsches.

gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
Porsche designed the entire car yet you still drive one. Using that same logic, there are better cars than Porsches.
Given the funds, it's Ferrari or Aston Martin. Maybe MacLaren.

Maserati makes a damn sweet car.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
I fix them for a living, and yes there are better cars than this one, just as there are better IMS bearings than the OEM unit (one company has already has over 18,000 replacements installed), and considerably better oils than Mobil 1.

But if you want to continue to drink the Kool Aid, be my guest...........
Old 08-13-2014, 01:59 AM   #24

Garage
Motul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Motul is a French company and their products are available worldwide. Motul UK is the distributor for the British Isles.

Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 is recommended for the M96 engine, and is approved by Porsche. I just switched to this oil from Mobil 1 at my last oil change.

TO
same here, we measured less wear debris in Motul 8100 than M1 so I think its a better lubricant for our Boxsters..
PhilNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNZ View Post
same here, we measured less wear debris in Motul 8100 than M1 so I think its a better lubricant for our Boxsters..
I had a look here....

Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 VW / BMW / Mercedes / Renault / GM dexos2 engine oil

Also noticed this one - Whats the difference???

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8100-x-cess-5w-40-petrol-and-diesel-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

I noticed it is Porsche A40 Spec - is that the correct spec for a 2004 2.7?

Is the A40 spec a new spec since 2004?

Sorry for the oil thread guys but I do not want to damage my wifes boxster - she would do bad things to me when I was sleeping so I need to make sure I get the right oil for it.

Last edited by Fatbloke; 08-13-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
What makes mobile 5w50 better than 0w40? Good to know.
Slightly more zinc (about a 100 ppm at the end of the drain interval).
Slightly more phosphorus (about a 100 ppm at the end of the drain interval).
Much better SUS Viscosity at 210 degrees (less shearing of the oil).
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
I had a look here....

Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 VW / BMW / Mercedes / Renault / GM dexos2 engine oil

Also noticed this one - Whats the difference???

Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 Gasoline and Diesel engine oil 100% Synthetic

I noticed it is Porsche A40 Spec - is that the correct spec for a 2004 2.7?

Is the A40 spec a new spec since 2004?

Sorry for the oil thread guys but I do not want to damage my wifes boxster - she would do bad things to me when I was sleeping so I need to make sure I get the right oil for it.
Its the x-cess that you need. I looked into it last year. I can't remember all the details, could be that the x-clean is for extended drain intervals.... originally recommened for our engines but Boxsters are sports cars with sports engines, trying to squeeze 2 years or 20,000kms out of your oil is false economy in my book. The Motul complies with the Porsche spec and is on the approved oils list for a 2004 2.7.
PhilNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNZ View Post
Its the x-cess that you need. I looked into it last year. I can't remember all the details, could be that the x-clean is for extended drain intervals.... originally recommened for our engines but Boxsters are sports cars with sports engines, trying to squeeze 2 years or 20,000kms out of your oil is false economy in my book. The Motul complies with the Porsche spec and is on the approved oils list for a 2004 2.7.
I will be chnging the oil and filter every 5000 miles as I do with our other vehicles. Just want to make sure I get the correct oil. The X-cess is very slightly cheaper so just wondered if there was much difference in the oil.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I fix them for a living, and yes there are better cars than this one, just as there are better IMS bearings than the OEM unit (one company has already has over 18,000 replacements installed), and considerably better oils than Mobil 1.

But if you want to continue to drink the Kool Aid, be my guest...........
JFP, wasn't there some info. about the zinc content being harmful to the catalytic converters? Seems like we change problems, any insight?

Allen
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
JFP, wasn't there some info. about the zinc content being harmful to the catalytic converters? Seems like we change problems, any insight?

Allen
Yes, zinc is poisonous to catalytic converters, but the case for removing or lowering its content in engine oil is vastly overblown. By EPA law, the OEM manufacturer's are on the hook for the catalytic converters for 80,000 miles if they fail. So they lobbied the EPA to get zinc in the form of ZDDP reduced or even eliminated in engine oils on the basis that doing so would improve emissions by protecting the cats, and the EPA bought it. While it is easy to prove that the zinc kills the cats, the OEM's argument was purely a "straw man" to get out of having to pay for them if they crap out before 80K. If you watch how many cats actually fail early, you would see that not that many do, it is common to see cars in excess of 150K miles and the cats are fine. And of the cats that do fail, reports have noted that many of them failed because of gas additives, not zinc poisoning.

So we get saddled with low ZDDP oils, or oils with other metal salts replacing the ZDDP. Unfortunately, these alternative oil formulations do not demonstrate the same wear reduction characteristics that oils with high levels of ZDDP have, and often break down earlier, requiring shorter oil change intervals.

Based upon what we have seen, I prefer to stay with high ZDDP oils. ZDDP is very hard to beat for wear protection, I am yet to see anyone equal its performance with alternative compounds. And at the end of the day, the cats are a lot easier to replace than rebuilding or replacing an M96/97 engine.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #31
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes, zinc is poisonous to catalytic converters, but the case for removing or lowering its content in engine oil is vastly overblown. By EPA law, the OEM manufacturer's are on the hook for the catalytic converters for 80,000 miles if they fail. So they lobbied the EPA to get zinc in the form of ZDDP reduced or even eliminated in engine oils on the basis that doing so would improve emissions by protecting the cats, and the EPA bought it. While it is easy to prove that the zinc kills the cats, the OEM's argument was purely a "straw man" to get out of having to pay for them if they crap out before 80K. If you watch how many cats actually fail early, you would see that not that many do, it is common to see cars in excess of 150K miles and the cats are fine. And of the cats that do fail, reports have noted that many of them failed because of gas additives, not zinc poisoning.

So we get saddled with low ZDDP oils, or oils with other metal salts replacing the ZDDP. Unfortunately, these alternative oil formulations do not demonstrate the same wear reduction characteristics that oils with high levels of ZDDP have, and often break down earlier, requiring shorter oil change intervals.

Based upon what we have seen, I prefer to stay with high ZDDP oils. ZDDP is very hard to beat for wear protection, I am yet to see anyone equal its performance with alternative compounds. And at the end of the day, the cats are a lot easier to replace than rebuilding or replacing an M96/97 engine.
that being the case, what are the oils with highest ZDDP?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Some of the Motul products, Joe Gibbs DT40 or "Hot Rod" oils.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Go back and read post #20. I think all those oils have increased levels. Correct me if I am wrong JFP or anyone else knowledgeable along these lines.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Motorcycle oils. Diesel oils.

For example, with Mobil products:

0W40
1,000 ppm phos.
1,000 zinc

5W40 Turbo Diesel

20W50 V-Twin (motorcycle)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #35

Yes i am lame, Yes I know nothing about the Boxster except for I love to drive it. I am new to owning my 97. It is stored from Nov. to April. I am going to change the oil when it comes out of storage. I was going to use Mobile 1 0w40. After reading here. My thoughts are either Mutol 5w40 or Joe Gibb DT40.
The car is a sunday driver. never running with temperature below 32F/0C. Not driven like a race/track car.

I welcome input from one over the other.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post
Yes i am lame, Yes I know nothing about the Boxster except for I love to drive it. I am new to owning my 97. It is stored from Nov. to April. I am going to change the oil when it comes out of storage. I was going to use Mobile 1 0w40. After reading here. My thoughts are either Mutol 5w40 or Joe Gibb DT40.
The car is a sunday driver. never running with temperature below 32F/0C. Not driven like a race/track car.

You should have changed the oil before you put it away.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #37

The Oil had been changed just prior to purchase in Sept. less than 500KM on the car when put away.

Regardless, I'm looking for advice moving forward.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post

Do that. Or Mobil 5W50. Change every 5,000 miles.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #39

European Spec Mobil 1 0W40 is all I use.
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #40

Garage
I run Shell Rotella T6 0-40 or 5-40

Depending on the time of year and what is available at the time.

High Zinc and good shear characteristics

Not a recommended oil but oddly loved by many.

Run it in my bikes also.

Oil change intervals every 5 to 6500 KM

Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote