Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #1

Hi, I garage my Boxster in the winter and swithed the insurance to my SUV and...

Hi , My question has little to do with Boxsters specifically but maybe someone here has had the same experience.
I own two vehicles, a 2007 boxster I drive in the summer and an SUV I drive in the winter. I live in CT.
When I’m using the boxster I don’t use the SUV at all, in fact I disconnect the battery and it is un-drivable. And vise versa.
As such, I suspended all insurance coverage for the un-drivable SUV, and in the fall I’ll switch the insurance back to the SUV and suspend the insurance on the car.
This saves a good deal of money and it would be a waste to insure a vehicle that goes unused for months.
I received a notice from the DMV stating that the SUV’s registration was suspended for failure to continuously maintain liability insurance, (I did not realize this was required) and I am asked to either request a hearing or pay a civil penalty of $200.
I’ll pay the fine, but is there a solution that will work for this situation? Would it be possible to temporarily suspend vehicle registration to coincide with suspending insurance coverage on a vehicle that is not is use for 6 months at a time? Does anyone else remove insurance from a garaged vehicle and is there a way to deal with the registration requirement? Thanks

lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

In California DMV has a form that can be submitted for "Non Operation". If your State has this you could send that in for the months that it is not on the road. That should solve the problem.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Even though you don't drive the car for part of the year, you should maintain some insurance on it. If the car is stolen, or if you have a disaster at you home and the car is damaged or destroyed, without insurance it would not be covered

I would check with your insurance company on what the best way is to deal with it.

I would also ask for the hearing, you could explane your situation and if there was still a fine, they would probably reduce it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 08-04-2014 at 07:59 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #4

I'm in NJ. We have some of the highest insurance rates in the 50 states. At one point it was obscene. I pay $100 a month for full coverage with a $1000 deductible. I have had no points since at least 2000 and have never filed a claim. Taking insurance off for six months (or less?) is not remotely worth the possible risk of fire, theft. And remember hurricane Sandy? I walked out my house and my neighbohrs giant tree was leaning on house at a 45 degree angle.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Garage
Maintain the comprehensive coverage when the vehicle is not going to be driven.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Garage
I can put a vehicle in "storage" with my insurance. But if I have an accident while driving it, they don't cover it.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Hi , My question has little to do with Boxsters specifically but maybe someone here has had the same experience.
I own two vehicles, a 2007 boxster I drive in the summer and an SUV I drive in the winter. I live in CT.
When I’m using the boxster I don’t use the SUV at all, in fact I disconnect the battery and it is un-drivable. And vise versa.
As such, I suspended all insurance coverage for the un-drivable SUV, and in the fall I’ll switch the insurance back to the SUV and suspend the insurance on the car.
This saves a good deal of money and it would be a waste to insure a vehicle that goes unused for months.
I received a notice from the DMV stating that the SUV’s registration was suspended for failure to continuously maintain liability insurance, (I did not realize this was required) and I am asked to either request a hearing or pay a civil penalty of $200.
I’ll pay the fine, but is there a solution that will work for this situation? Would it be possible to temporarily suspend vehicle registration to coincide with suspending insurance coverage on a vehicle that is not is use for 6 months at a time? Does anyone else remove insurance from a garaged vehicle and is there a way to deal with the registration requirement? Thanks
I've got too many vehicles. Several are often in some state of repair and not driven.
I can move them to "storage" on my insurance. Costs 20% of normal. There are restrictions of how often they can come in/out of storage but that is how I would handle it here in Texas.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

I'm in the exact same situation. I live in CT, have an Explorer for the winter and the 986 for summer (as well as a daily driver).

I put up either the Ford or the Porsche with a trickle charger, call GEICO and they just put on comprehensive applied to the stored vehicle.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

Contact your local DMV office and ask them what the procedure is if your store a car for 1/2 the year and drop your collision and liability insurance during the storage period. Most states have a way to deal with it as it is actually a pretty common practice.
The license plates on one of the cars I store comes up for renewal during the winter, so every year I have to go to the DMV and sign an affidavit stating the car is not being driven at that time. Unfortunately, there is no good way to move the renewal date to sometime in the summer.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
I received a notice from the DMV stating that the SUV’s registration was suspended for failure to continuously maintain liability insurance...
How did the DMV know that you were dropping the insurance for 1/2 the year? Did your insurance rat you out? Any NSA involvement?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

I found this on the CT DMV site.... it looks like CT requires insurance coverage for any registered vehicle. I will compare the savings for removing insurance vs. DMV fees for canceling/ re-registering vehicles.

>>> If you plan to register a non-operational vehicle, keep in mind you must also maintain insurance coverage. Otherwise, cancel your registration and insurance, and return the vehicle's license plates to the CT DMV.

When you're ready to renew the registration on a non-operational vehicle, visit your local DMV office with:
lurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
How did the DMV know that you were dropping the insurance for 1/2 the year? Did your insurance rat you out? Any NSA involvement?
conspiracy theory LOL

I believe at least in CA the Ins companies have to notify the DMV if insurance is canceled or dropped.
I could be wrong......
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Maintain the comprehensive coverage when the vehicle is not going to be driven.
+1. Same here.

JayG also posted reason why: "If the car is stolen, or if you have a disaster at you home and the car is damaged or destroyed, without insurance it would not be covered.

And as Coaster noted, DO NOT drive that vehicle while insured at that level, because you won't have collision or liability coverage.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #14

i did this last summer when i went out of town for 3 months. just called my agent (state farm) and told her i would not be driving the cars. she raised the deductibles to $999,999 (except comp) which dropped the premium to practically nothing.

since maryland requires the license plates to be returned if insurance is canceled (even if the vehicle is not driven or drivable) this is the only option.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'm in NJ. We have some of the highest insurance rates in the 50 states. At one point it was obscene. I pay $100 a month for full coverage with a $1000 deductible. I have had no points since at least 2000 and have never filed a claim. Taking insurance off for six months (or less?) is not remotely worth the possible risk of fire, theft. And remember hurricane Sandy? I walked out my house and my neighbohrs giant tree was leaning on house at a 45 degree angle.
you only pay a $100 in NJ? WOW!!! Who's your insurance co?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #16

Looks like you have your answers covered, but one other option is to turn in one set of plates and then just transfer the one set of plates to whichever car you are driving. In NY it's around $10 to transfer plates to another vehicle.
sixpack4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
On the slippery slope

Garage
I have full coverage on my 04 and it runs around $500/year

Of course it doesn't hurt that I have no accidents or points
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
that's $100 per month. Progressive. By the way, I own property but its not insured with Progressive and not even in NJ so that rate is strictly car only with no discounts for having other kinds of insurance with them.

When I was shopping for quotes the other guys at State Farm and Allstate on the phone were like "what did Progressive quote? Umm yeah maybe we'll try you next year. Good bye". GEICO was close, but not close enough.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-05-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #20
On the slippery slope

Garage
Try AAA if you can